Shoutbox

HDD noise - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: HDD noise (/showthread.php?tid=59035)

HDD noise by [MR] on 05-03-2006 at 10:16 PM

Just a week ago i think it was my HDD started making Loud Clicking noises that repeat numerous times, and my HDD is less than a year old.  Anything I can do or do i have to live with it?

RE: HDD noise by Reaper on 05-03-2006 at 10:19 PM

I think this is a sign of the drive beginning to fail. Run a scan disk, there may be bad sectors. Also, backup important software.
I ran into this problem, but I couldn't even boot and I lost all my data.

RE: HDD noise by Chris4 on 05-03-2006 at 10:24 PM

I'd reccomend taking it for someone to check out.

RE: HDD noise by Voldemort on 05-03-2006 at 10:27 PM

Hmm..
It is possible that it is an indication of a future failure, but perhaps not, my old computer's hard drive has made noises ever since bought, and nothing has happened.

RE: HDD noise by Pyroteq on 05-04-2006 at 01:05 PM

BACKUP EVERYTHNING RIGHT NOW.

This happened to me, and within a few weeks my hard drive failed. I Lost everything. Back it all up, do a scan for errors and hopefully you can fix it before it crashes.

RE: HDD noise by YourNeibour on 05-04-2006 at 01:59 PM

If the HD doesn't boot do what I did, but that noise means the HD is failing, you may be able to get a new one for free from the manufacturer

1) Make the drive as slave
2) hook it up the the secondary IDE cable
3) Boot system
4) Go into my computer and you should see all the windows folders

This worked for me.

RE: HDD noise by Hank on 05-04-2006 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR]
Just a week ago i think it was my HDD started making Loud Clicking noises that repeat numerous times, and my HDD is less than a year old.  Anything I can do or do i have to live with it?
your HDD shouldd be or still be under warranty?.. isit SATA or IDE?
RE: HDD noise by DJeX on 05-04-2006 at 07:25 PM

Humm mines been doing that for 3 years now and its 100% fine.

RE: HDD noise by Negro_Joe on 05-04-2006 at 07:59 PM

Mine used to do that and now it stopped doing it...:|

RE: HDD noise by [MR] on 05-04-2006 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
your HDD shouldd be or still be under warranty?.. isit SATA or IDE?

ya its under waranty I think, i got it in july i think...maybe it isnt under warranty, i dont know.  Its an IDE HDD.

I forgot to mention it only makes the noise sometimes and i have noticed if i just leave my computer on while im not working on it it just restarts and after the bios is done showing that message saying that there is no system disk appears, but I just restart the computer and its fine.  this happens alot like i turn the computer on before i go to school, then i leave it on and when i get home i see that it restarted and cant find the harddrive.  But that hasnt ever happend if i just turn the computer on.
RE: HDD noise by Reaper on 05-04-2006 at 11:05 PM

Have you ran scan disk?

RE: HDD noise by [MR] on 05-04-2006 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
Have you ran scan disk?
oh ya i forgot, ill do that now.
RE: RE: HDD noise by joemailey on 05-05-2006 at 09:13 AM

HDD noise.
its having read errors.

the clicking noise you here is it trying to read the sector of data. it could even be corrupt windows install are something has corrupted a certian sector of the hard drive.

It could even be YOUR IDE cable. Faulty cable , try replacing the cable with a spare one you have.

But i would start to back up my work to another drive. I'd keep using the same hard drive i just wouldnt leave

Saved work
downloaded files
Important in stall files.
Personnal stuff

on the drive. i don't do that ne way should always have your work including your my documents folder mapped to 2nd drive any way.

RE: HDD noise by [MR] on 05-06-2006 at 06:21 PM

I'm pretty sure it is failing, when I try to play WoW now, my computer just freezes and I restart, it wont see there is a HDD, i reboot again it sees a HDD, and i finally get back in windows,,,Im backing my stuff up now on my ipod, and Im just going to use a different HDD in the mean time of getting a new one.

RE: HDD noise by Mike on 05-06-2006 at 07:37 PM

Also, you can try using SpinRite (not free)

I have heard good things about it, and you should try it :)

RE: HDD noise by [MR] on 05-08-2006 at 09:09 PM

Ever since i put in the new HDD my computer's preformance has dropped.  It seems to be slower, and it has a lot more unresponsive program errors, and alot of those send error report things.  E.G.  I open VLC and instantly an Error appears saying VLC has encountered an error and needs to close.  It has gotten a lot slower too, E.G. I have WoW open and I have WLM and OD open (on old HDD) It all work smooth and good, With new HDD, i can hardly have windows Messenger open with WoW sometimes.  Im going to scan but The only thing i can thing of is how fast the Disk can rotate or whatever it is called.  But the HDD im using now isnt that old, well maybe it is about since 2001 I have had it in another computer and then put it in this one since my less than a year old one is having problems.  And i tried to run scan disk on the other HDD and it froze about half way through :-/

Any help?

EDIT:  Now that i think of it, would the slowness be caused by the screen resolution?  b/c i had it at 1152 by 864 last time and now i have both moniters on 1280 by 1024.  Im pretty sure that is the most likely reason but any suggestions>

RE: HDD noise by Mike on 05-09-2006 at 05:22 AM

Try changing the resolution back to 1152x864?
But tbh, I don't think that changing the resolution would slow your pc... :-/
Only WoW, because it would have to render a bigger area, making it slower, but still... :-/

By the way, if you still have your old noisy harddrive, then try SpinRite as I said before...

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Also, you can try using SpinRite (not free)

I have heard good things about it, and you should try it :)