Shoutbox

A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! (/showthread.php?tid=59132)

A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by rhys100 on 05-07-2006 at 01:13 AM

Would it be possible to put a feature in plus live that whewn you backup your plus settings it alos backs up your backgrounds, emotions, and display pictures.

this would mean that i could restore them on another computer and have the shortcuts remembered. At the moment i have to back them up with www.sherv.net 's program and then add them to messenger and reconfigure all the shortcuts i used for them again.

Is there a program out there now that does this?

I tried searching but couldn't find it.

So if this could be put into Messenger Plus Live it would be great!!!!!!

Thanks

Rhys

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by Reload2 on 05-07-2006 at 02:00 AM

Actually, there's a program who can backup and add them automatically with the shortcuts that you had before
It's called Msn backuper

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by rhys100 on 05-07-2006 at 05:58 AM

thanks i dled it and it works great, but it would be heaps better if it was integrated into msg plus live............

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by absorbation on 05-07-2006 at 03:01 PM

I think it would be a good feature. I would personally love it, and it really isn't that hard. Detect where the settings are stored, copy the .bak files and rename the extension to the correct one. (of course there would be more, Patchou would make it alot more professional)

I will tell Patchou about this thread right now. :)
However, with the increased pressure to release Messenger Plus! Live on time, bugs come first. It maybe a feature for 4.10 mind you.

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by RaceProUK on 05-07-2006 at 04:17 PM

I doubt such a feature would be added to MP!L. I mean, there's already a brace of backup programs out there!

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by Sunshine on 05-07-2006 at 04:25 PM

Hmm..instead of putting everything in Plus! why not suggest a backup feature to Microsoft? Afterall those are MSNM/WLM things.

http://feedback.live.com

RE: RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by joemailey on 05-10-2006 at 10:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Hmm..instead of putting everything in Plus! why not suggest a backup feature to Microsoft? Afterall those are MSNM/WLM things.

http://feedback.live.com

Because you can rely on patchou alot more than M$ ;)

and as for amount of programs out there doing.

why have other programs than are worst and only do one job, were as you can ask and suggest new features to improve a program.

i for one would like the option in plus live .

so it backs up plus settings and all your messenger settings. as one not 2 seprate programs and 2 seprate backs for when ever i wipe my machine. (or for the other 3 or 4 pcs i use during the week) simple method of transfer'n settings in one file to different pc fantastic

Hope patchou does it:-)
RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by rhys100 on 05-10-2006 at 11:05 AM

so it sounds like you all like my wonderful idea ;)

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by Matti on 05-10-2006 at 11:24 AM

I guess you won't backup both MP! settings and backgrounds/emoticons/... in one file. It would be cool to back them up, but then do it in a seperate file, or let the user choose what to backup. When you have tons of emoticons, it can seriously increase the size of the backup! ;)

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by joemailey on 05-10-2006 at 11:25 AM

I wouldn't expect patchou to add new feature with out given his users option ;-)

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by rhys100 on 05-10-2006 at 11:37 AM

yea, and if it backs it up who cares what the size of it's gonna be. i don't care if it's 1 gb lol. but wait. yea i do!

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by rhys100 on 06-25-2006 at 06:05 AM

now that live is released, any good scripter wanna give this a go? It would be a madd script if we could pack up all our emotions, backgrounds, display pictures and winks with us and restore them on another computer :D

Good luck and keep me posted if anyones amkeing a script for this.

Rhys

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by Techboy__ on 06-25-2006 at 06:11 AM

couldnt you just copy the appdata dir and export the registry key?

that's a yes!

1. Windows key + r
2. %appdata%\Microsoft\MSN Messenger
3. zip all here up
4. windows key + r then regedit
5. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
6. File->Export
7. add output to zip made at step 3.
8. on other computer, extract the zip in the same directory as in step 2.
9. Simply double click the .reg file and itll install.

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by rhys100 on 06-25-2006 at 06:24 AM

yea...thats the long tedious way and it's messy. But yea thats how the script would work some how.

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by Techboy__ on 06-25-2006 at 06:30 AM

I prolly couldnt write a msgplus script but I could throw together a cheap/crap program to do it i guess. just..later. :P

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by rhys100 on 06-25-2006 at 06:53 AM

well if you do post it here and get everyone to help you make that "crap" script you gonna make better!

RE: A Good Feature Wanted In Plus Live! by Techboy__ on 06-25-2006 at 07:22 AM

well I pretty much did just say what the script should do, laike :P