Shoutbox

The crappy packages for the PS3 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: The crappy packages for the PS3 (/showthread.php?tid=59209)

The crappy packages for the PS3 by user27089 on 05-09-2006 at 06:57 AM

quote:
E3 2006: PS3 20 Gig Missing Features?
Images of system with smaller hard drive missing HDMI input, other features.
by Jeff Haynes

May 8, 2006 - The announcement earlier tonight that the PS3 would come in two separate configurations easily caught the ear of PS3 fans eager for any news of Sony's system. However, upon closer analysis of the images for the systems itself, a rather curious system feature seemed to be missing from the 20 gig configuration.

Looking at the official press site of SCEA, we noticed that the PS3 with the 20 gigabyte hard drive seemed to lack HDMI support. This seems to be confirmed by an offical press release from SCEA, which indicates via comparison between the two systems. However, it also indicates that the 20 gigabyte system won't have Memory Stick, SD or Compact Flash reading capability or WiFi support. Even worse, it appears that rumble doesn't appear to be included with the new six axis sensing controller.

Could the 20 gig become a gamer shunned system? When Microsoft launched the Xbox 360, consumers hated the Core system that didn't come with a hard drive and other features, quickly dubbing it the "tard pack." Will the 20 gig suffer the same fate? We'll have more details as we get them from the show.

Update: It also appears that Sony has ditched dual-HDMI support altogether, even from its high-end 60GB system. Whether or not the system is still capable of running dual-displays by using both HDMI and the AV multi-out is unknown.

Also, Sony announced that the Blu-ray disc drive in the PS3 will run at 2X, or roughly 72Mbps.
Source: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705887p1.html

What do you think of this?! I think they've completely messed up... especially the 20gig one now having flash stick/wifi support etc :|. At least with the xbox the only thing you didn't get was a chrome finished disk tray and a hard drive :s.

This is really REALLY lame :-/.
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Underlord on 05-09-2006 at 07:09 AM

I think they mean 72MBps, because you couldn't run anything on 72Mbps :P

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Pyroteq on 05-09-2006 at 07:44 AM

Lamecore.

Thats just totally stupid, and those things arn't things you can easily buy at a later point and install in your system unlike the xbox where you could always buy the part later when you could afford it..

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Reaper on 05-09-2006 at 10:30 AM

It is kinda crappy. But, as they get really close to release, they will change some stuff. Early days yet.

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Pyroteq on 05-09-2006 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Crimcz
Lame.

I just think ill save up to get my computer updated instead of PS3

Get a 360 :banana:
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Hank on 05-09-2006 at 12:40 PM

doesnt eally suprise me with Sony now whatever they do.. they have a bad rep ever since there famous Rootkit Virus . i'd never ever buy anything Sony again

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by ddunk on 05-09-2006 at 02:09 PM

More info that came out:

That 20gb version will cost $499 USD. The 60gb will be $599.

Pictures of the ps3 controller:
http://www.gamersreports.com/grimages/940/1147137686/3/1/gr.image.jpg
http://www.gamersreports.com/grimages/940/1147134417/3/1/gr.image.jpg

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by RaceProUK on 05-09-2006 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
they have a bad rep ever since there famous Rootkit Virus
That was Sony BMG, the music side. The PS3 is made by Sony Computer Entertainment, a totally separate division.

<sarcastic>And it's nice to see people being reasonable and slamming Sony for releasing a 'budget' PS3.</sarcastic>

Edit: The new PS3 controller looks... well, like the PS2 controller. Then again, why mess with a fantastic design? Interesting to see a USB connection though.
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Reaper on 05-09-2006 at 03:29 PM

Prices and release date were released this morning (GMT)

November 17th!

20Gb $499 USD / about £270 / $660 CAD
60Gb $599 USD / about £320 / $550 CAD

:O and 2 Final Fantasy XIII games!

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by user27089 on 05-09-2006 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
<sarcastic>And it's nice to see people being reasonable and slamming Sony for releasing a 'budget' PS3.</sarcastic>

There's a reason we're "slamming" it. The budget one they're releasing is crap, period. The stuff that you don't get in with it are hardware inside the ps3 that you can't buy at a later date. Once you've bought the budget one that's it, no upgrades...
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Negro_Joe on 05-09-2006 at 04:05 PM

Meh, i dont believ ti anyhoo their not as stupid as microsoft...

and if its true one is probably a cheaper alternative, whats the problem...:S

The only reason its losing the shock is because of the new way of controling via moving the controler around the shock surely would disrupt the detector...:S

source:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705836p1.html

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by user27089 on 05-09-2006 at 04:13 PM

The shock isn't really the thing i'm worried about... you don't need that at all, it was just a bonus to be honest.

I believe it, why would it be a lie if it was announced at a pre-E3 conference?

The problem with the cheaper alternative is that it is lacking a lot of features, at least with the cheaper 360 you could buy the extra stuff for it :).

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Negro_Joe on 05-09-2006 at 04:27 PM

Yeha but the Xbox sucked anus...:|

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Reaper on 05-09-2006 at 04:28 PM

To be honest, that extra $100 is worth every penny. Even still, Sony must of thought that, not everone wants to have the extra ports and stuff  so they can release a barebones version of the system.

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Negro_Joe on 05-09-2006 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
To be honest, that extra $100 is worth every penny. Even still, Sony must of thought that, not everone wants to have the extra ports and stuff  so they can release a barebones version of the system.

I agree not everyone wants everything..:S

I dont know which one il get it, i dont if im getting one yet

i need some dollar..:(
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Reaper on 05-09-2006 at 04:41 PM

I will most likely get the 60Gb version, because I want everything, and I have a student loan to waste it on :refuck:

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by user27089 on 05-09-2006 at 04:46 PM

Yeah if I was going to get either I'd get the 60gb version... but i still think it's silly how much they miss out on the cheaper one. Even if it was a way to get money. People were raving about the way the cheaper version of XBOX 360 didn't give you much, yet when it happens with Playstation, it doesn't matter.

I'm having doubts about the ps3 tbh.

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by M73A on 05-09-2006 at 05:20 PM

the ps3 is becoming a joke, i don't think im going to bother buying one, its been priced way to high....

if i do ever buy one, it will most likely be off eBay just after the release of the ps4 when people are trying to get the cash for a ps4 together! lol

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by user27089 on 05-09-2006 at 07:34 PM

[Image: 6ca848d1791cb3e4af9aa4a9f7153634.jpg]

Something tells me they can't think up their own stuff.

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by kao on 05-09-2006 at 08:50 PM

the PS3 controller comes from the PSX and PS2 controller, the part about the middle button is pathetic, its a good place to put it. It should be saying the Xbox controller ripped the ps2 controller if anything. the rest, i couldnt care less about, i hate consoles =p

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Negro_Joe on 05-09-2006 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Something tells me they can't think up their own stuff.

Something tells me you should seriously get out more, anyway id dont see why everyone is making  such a big deal about it! Omg you can move the ps3 controlelrs, like the revolution, its games console all the companys copy each other in different ways so do the games on them..

a buttin in the same place, om my god, i know loadsof places they could put it..:dodgy:
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by RaceProUK on 05-10-2006 at 02:06 AM

OK, so moving the controller is used by Sony and Nintendo. I bet they're used in different ways.
And there's only so many ways to design a good online system.

Really trax, lighten up ;) Companies steal off each other all the time.

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Hank on 05-10-2006 at 07:01 AM

quote:
That was Sony BMG
still made by Sony  just a different department
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by RaceProUK on 05-10-2006 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
quote:
That was Sony BMG
still made by Sony  just a different department
Which shares little if anything with SCE.

Anyway, the PS3 is region-free.
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by user27089 on 05-10-2006 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Anyway, the PS3 is region-free.

That's good I guess, does that mean all games will be released globally?
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by RaceProUK on 05-10-2006 at 09:02 PM

As is currently the case, games will still be market-targeted, so a lot of Japanese RPGs won't be released in Europe for instance. But, there's nothing to stop you importing the game from Japan and playing it on a 'European' PS3, though you may need an NTSC-J-compatible TV to see it properly.
Games targeted at multiple markets may still not hit those markets at the same time, due to localisation. Especially for the European market, the game will still need to be translated. However, the huge capacity of Blu-Ray discs may allow all languages to be included on one release, allowing true global releases.

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by user27089 on 05-11-2006 at 07:17 AM

[Image: ps3liebackend7qe.jpg]

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Pyroteq on 05-11-2006 at 07:37 AM

lol at these pictures, thier so true..

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Reaper on 05-11-2006 at 10:30 AM

quote:
[Image: ps3liebackend7qe.jpg]
The left picture was from 2005 E3 if I remember correctly. They were just concept images that were released by Sony. There was not a console available at the show, so you can expect things not to be there.
RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by user27089 on 05-11-2006 at 04:34 PM

When they released the specs, they said all that would be available.

RE: The crappy packages for the PS3 by Reaper on 05-11-2006 at 04:37 PM

quote:
When they released the specs, they said all that would be available.
Things change :P