Shoutbox

messsenger 8 live beta - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: messsenger 8 live beta (/showthread.php?tid=59278)

messsenger 8 live beta by thaly on 05-11-2006 at 09:16 AM

hello!

I've just heard there is a beta messenger 8 and that one can get it on invitation.

I would like to know how invitations can be received and from whom?

I know that gmail users would send gmail invitations once they had open an account, would that be the same in messenger 8 case?

thank you

thaly

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by Felu on 05-11-2006 at 09:19 AM

Go to ideas.live.com and register.

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by Hank on 05-11-2006 at 09:27 AM

its public now the WLM8 beta.. scroll down mess.be website page an you'll see the languages versions Get WLM8 latest version here

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by CookieRevised on 05-11-2006 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
its public now the WLM8 beta.. scroll down mess.be website page an you'll see the languages versions Get WLM8 latest version here
You still need to register you account IIRC and AFAIK.

If someone wants to use Windows Live Messenger for the first time, they need to register and download from there:
quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
Go to ideas.live.com and register.
or direct main link (in case your browser messes up clicking the link on that page):
http://www.ideas.live.com/mainpage.aspx

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by sufcste on 05-11-2006 at 03:17 PM

According to the WLM Blog, WLM 8 Beta is now open to the world publicly without the need to sign up. Methinks the final is going to be released soon :D and you know what that means.....

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by absorbation on 05-11-2006 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sufcste
and you know what that means.....

all our friends argueing how it is not MSN Messenger and is Windows Messenger? :P
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by RaceProUK on 05-11-2006 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:
all our friends argueing how it is not MSN Messenger and is Windows Messenger? :P
I must admit: Windows Messenger, Windiws Live Messenger, MSN Messenger, all different. At least now Windows Messenger has been renamed Office Live Communicator.

Windows Live Messenger.
Office Live Communicator.
Very obviously two different programs :D
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by CookieRevised on 05-12-2006 at 03:40 AM

Actually Windows Messenger is still a seperate product also. Though support will halt and Windows Messenger will die out (just as with MSN Messenger). Though the difference with Windows Messenger/Communicator and MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger is that WLM is a strait rename of the same product. Communicator is something entirly new (so it isn't a "renamed" new Windows Messenger though).

AFAIK & IIRC

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by RaceProUK on 05-12-2006 at 02:36 PM

Ah OK, but still, as WLM can be considered a replacement for MSN (it is a complete recode after all), OLC can be considered a replacement for WM.

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by vaccination on 05-12-2006 at 02:45 PM

It seems to me that people are still guna just call it "msn" ... like " are you going on msn later?" i doubt people will start sayin " going on windows live messenger?" I duno maybe im just being silly but it would be easier to just say msn! ..... or WLM in blogs and posts!

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by RaceProUK on 05-12-2006 at 02:47 PM

People will keep on using MSN for a while, but there'll probabaly be a gradual shift to WLM.

RE: RE: messsenger 8 live beta by sufcste on 05-12-2006 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation

quote:

See attached file for differences between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger. Windows Live Messenger is just continuation of MSN Messenger, and is part of Windows Live in general. Really it's just a rename and a new version. Windows Messenger is separate.

As for me saying "you know what that mean..." I was meaning Messenger Plus! Live will follow WLM 8.0 Final release!!
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by vaccination on 05-12-2006 at 05:12 PM

ye i think most people when they find out there is a new Msn messenger - WLM - dey will change yet i still doubt people will say windows live messenger! instead just say msn or windows live mayb?!?! could be a possibility for a shortened version!

I often find most people who arnt that up to date with stuff like this - I.E they dont care - seem to only donload the newest version when they 1) find out theres a new 1 ( when someone who is allready using it tells them ) 2) When they can be bothered!

just my views

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by Reload2 on 05-12-2006 at 08:21 PM

@sufcste, you attachment is Windows Messenger vs MSN Messenger, not Windows Live Messenger! And it's nice  to say MSN (the letters) but it's like weird that someone will say: Go on "wlm" in the speaking language, the letters don't fit together :S

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by vaccination on 05-13-2006 at 08:10 AM

yeh thats hat i think.... we will just have to see how things go ... whether people do start changing it or not!

RE: RE: messsenger 8 live beta by sufcste on 05-13-2006 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reload2
@sufcste, you attachment is Windows Messenger vs MSN Messenger, not Windows Live Messenger!
I know what I linked to; that's what i said! If you actually read my post, I said that document detailed the differences between MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger, and then went on to say that MSN Messenger has become Windows Live Messenger. Earlier on in this thread, people were asking the difference between all three, and that's what I was saying.
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by RaceProUK on 05-13-2006 at 07:19 PM

quote:
it's like weird that someone will say: Go on "wlm" in the speaking language, the letters don't fit together :S
People may just say 'Live Messenger', or even just 'Live'. Windows Live Messenger doesn't lend itself well to spoken abbreviations.
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by LEE123 on 05-14-2006 at 02:24 PM

quote:
@sufcste, you attachment is Windows Messenger vs MSN Messenger, not Windows Live Messenger! And it's nice  to say MSN (the letters) but it's like weird that someone will say: Go on "wlm" in the speaking language, the letters don't fit together :S

People will use Windows Live Messenger and continue to call it MSN.
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by aNILEator on 05-14-2006 at 03:41 PM

I call it messenger now, and so have a few of my friends which is good :), although i migth start calling it mesenger live *-)

anyway, i suggest you get into the habit of calling it messenger, they do in Japan

"LETS DO MESSENGER!" they say :P

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by vaccination on 05-14-2006 at 03:46 PM

lol, yeah they do but it sounds wierd ...... and a little dirty;)

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by sacch on 05-14-2006 at 06:41 PM

I think MSN and WLM is indeed the same program; otherwise, WLM will not suddenly come out as a 8.0 "new" version.

This renaming is very like what we programmers do to our folders and files all the day. Sometimes you just need to rename it for its new functionalities and for "better" recognition.  However, I think WLM maybe difficult for some English outsiders to freak out somehow. They may start confused by WLM WML WWW and WMM... hahaha

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by RaceProUK on 05-14-2006 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sacch
I think MSN and WLM is indeed the same program; otherwise, WLM will not suddenly come out as a 8.0 "new" version.
WLM is a complete recode of MSN Messenger.
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by vincerooney on 05-15-2006 at 09:43 PM

why didnt they just call it msn live messenger if they  wanted it to be part of this stupid live family.

changing a products name of a product universally known is only going to confuse people and distant people from it.

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by Hank on 05-16-2006 at 01:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vincerooney
why didnt they just call it msn live messenger if they  wanted it to be part of this stupid live family.

changing a products name of a product universally known is only going to confuse people and distant people from it.

why, it had to fit in with all the other Windows Live Names, By calling it Windows Live Messenger it fits in with the other Live family
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by Voldemort on 05-16-2006 at 01:55 AM

Damn, why all this fuss?
Its going to do the exact same thing: Send Messages!

RE: messsenger 8 live beta by Curtis on 05-16-2006 at 03:00 AM

Muahahahaha...  Now I can correct all my teachers when they say stuff like "People bully over MSN and stuff like that..."  Me and my correctiveness will rule the world!!!

RE: RE: messsenger 8 live beta by sufcste on 05-16-2006 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
Damn, why all this fuss?
Its going to do the exact same thing: Send Messages!

Well said! But it wouldn't be Micro$oft if they didn't make spend loads of money pointlessly renaming software and taking a perfectly fine program and 'changing' it to the same program with a different name and more bugs! :P
RE: messsenger 8 live beta by RaceProUK on 05-17-2006 at 04:35 PM

First of all, it's a Beta product, so it's bound to have a few extra bugs.
Second, MS isn't the only company to rebrand products. Thousands of companies rebrand their products all the time: it keeps them fresh and modern.
Third, MS is a business. All businesses must make money to survive. Therefore, MS must make money to survive.

I'm getting sick and tired of this constant attack on Microsoft just because they're being a business. Most people that moan about MS don't even blink when another company, like Apple, does something similar. It strikes me as hypocritical.