Shoutbox

Eliminate sounds around you - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Eliminate sounds around you (/showthread.php?tid=59280)

Eliminate sounds around you by zaher1988 on 05-11-2006 at 11:00 AM

Hey,

I have exams during this period, and we have lot or noise, sounds, people talking, music around. And i have this Managment Principles exam i need to memories everything, and it is power point presentations.

So i was thinking is there a wear to put my big headsets and use some software that make some kind of frequency that will eliminate all external noise and sounds:p? I dont want to turn music on, i just need something that will make EMPTY SPACE in the gap between my ears and the headsets :P

I know this is a little bit crazy, but it deserves a try:P

see ya

RE: Eliminate sounds around you by ShawnZ on 05-11-2006 at 11:05 AM

For that to be feasable I think you'd need a microphone too, unless the brain has some secret trigger that cancels everything out =p

RE: Eliminate sounds around you by Reaper on 05-11-2006 at 11:48 AM

You can just buy Noise Cancelling headphones. They eliminate ambience. Pretty good.

RE: Eliminate sounds around you by zaher1988 on 05-11-2006 at 11:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
You can just buy Noise Cancelling headphones. They eliminate ambience. Pretty good
that's what i want, but it can be done at home right? isn't it controlled by some software?

RE: Eliminate sounds around you by CookieRevised on 05-11-2006 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
So i was thinking is there a wear to put my big headsets and use some software that make some kind of frequency that will eliminate all external noise and sounds:p?
Although in theory this is possible (you can cancel out a certain frequency with a certain amplitude by applying the opposit frequency with the exact same amplitude), it does not work in practice like that, only in labo conditions.

Not to mention that environment noise contains extremely many frequencies of all kind of different amplitudes.

What you can do however, since you already planned on wearing a headset, is to get some safety sound demping headset. The kind workmen used on constructions sets.

They are relative cheap, and you could even get some on a construction set if you ask nicely and offer a beer to the men :D;).

Though, be advised that it is something you also need to get used to. The demped sound you hear (or rather not hear) can be quite daunting at first.

---------
EDIT: blah too slow

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
For that to be feasable I think you'd need a microphone too, unless the brain has some secret trigger that cancels everything out =p
????????

quote:
quote:
You can just buy Noise Cancelling headphones. They eliminate ambience. Pretty good
that's what i want, but it can be done at home right? isn't it controlled by some software?
no, they are simply very good isolated "pods" you put on your ears.
RE: Eliminate sounds around you by Reaper on 05-11-2006 at 11:59 AM

quote:
quote:
You buy them like any other headphones. And no software is required. All done by the headphones themselves
RE: Eliminate sounds around you by zaher1988 on 05-11-2006 at 12:00 PM

lol it is a nice solution :P these headsets used in the construction sites:P i'll check for one :P

RE: Eliminate sounds around you by ShawnZ on 05-11-2006 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
????????

Second part was a joke, first part was so you could find the frequencies to cancel.
RE: Eliminate sounds around you by andrewdodd13 on 05-11-2006 at 12:29 PM

As said, in a lab you can probably do this fine... I believe the noise cancelling headphones work by using a microphone to capture input, invert it to create an anti-phase sound then add it to the output sound from the music device.

In my opinion these things are probably dangerous, you'll see kids with them in a couple of years walking across roads getting killed because they don't look and can't even hear the cars coming.

Anyway, going back on topic - my advice would just be to find some calming music and play it really loud - it's what I do when I'm studying, although you need to find new songs every now and then, because you begin to follow the song in your mind making it more of a distraction.

RE: Eliminate sounds around you by zaher1988 on 05-11-2006 at 12:38 PM

MY HEART WILL GO ON :P

andrewdodd13 umm give me some names for some calm songs/music :D i would appreciate that alot

:D zanx

RE: RE: Eliminate sounds around you by CookieRevised on 05-11-2006 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
I believe the noise cancelling headphones work by using a microphone to capture input, invert it to create an anti-phase sound then add it to the output sound from the music device.
Nope, they contain absolutely nothing electronical. They are just good insulated pods.

Even if they contain electronics with a microphone etc, it wouldn't work at all! As said, the process of inverting sound like that is pure theory and even in lab conditions this is extremely hard to pull off. And this said, it even only works with very simple and known frequencies and amplitudes. Even simply speech or the sound of a machine contains hundreds if not thousands of unknown frequencies and amplitudes.

quote:
In my opinion these things are probably dangerous
They are absolutely extremely safe! In fact, they are especially made for safety purposes :/

In fact, they should even be used by children when they go with their parents to some concerts or going to watch an airshow or something.

quote:
you'll see kids with them in a couple of years walking across roads getting killed because they don't look and can't even hear the cars coming.
ermm... obviously such use can be dangerous, but that isn't the fault of those earphones. You might as well say that putting your fingers in your ears and walking like that across the street is dangerous.

In that aspect, a crayon is dangerous too, you can pull someone's eye out with it...

quote:
Anyway, going back on topic - my advice would just be to find some calming music and play it really loud
It wouldn't be calming anymore...

Also, the brain will not be at ease, no matter what type of music you play. Unconciencly your brain must work hard to filter out the load noise (no matter if it is "calming" music or music you like to hear or machine noise or anything else). It will _always_ be a distraction, even if you don't realize it or think it isn't.
RE: Eliminate sounds around you by Sunshine on 05-11-2006 at 12:44 PM

They let you use music and headphones during an exam? You might aswell have put answers or things to memorise what you need onthere...

:dodgy:

RE: RE: RE: Eliminate sounds around you by andrewdodd13 on 05-11-2006 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Nope, they contain absolutely nothing electronical. They are just good insulated pods.
These aren't noise *cancelling* ones, only reducing. Although that in theory could work to cancel, assuming you could get a vacuum between the ear drums and the air (but hasn't been done yet). I had a pair of Sony headphones which emitted antiphase noises which worked pretty well... until they got wet, after that they added some dodgy sounds.

quote:
In that aspect, a crayon is dangerous too, you can pull someone's eye out with it...

Well yeah, but kids *do* walk across the street with headphones in, I've seen a few nearly run over with normal headphones, if one of them hadn't heard the cars horn he'd probably be dead.

quote:
Also, the brain will not be at ease, no matter what type of music you play. Unconciencly your brain must work hard to filter out the load noise (no matter if it is "calming" music or music you like to hear or machine noise or anything else). It will _always_ be a distraction, even if you don't realize it or think it isn't.

I don't know if it's scientific or not, this definetly works for me - the noise of something constant from one source is easier to block out than that of lots of people chatting - regardless of whether my brain realises it's there, it's still better for concentrating.

As for calming music... I used to listen to stuff like early U2, etc. It kinda sucks, but it's pretty easy to listen to.

And Sunshine, I think he means when he's revising - usually examination rooms are totally silent (except for builders working on the school outside - but that's only in my case ;)).

EDIT: Spelling + Found A Link (here)
RE: Eliminate sounds around you by zaher1988 on 05-11-2006 at 01:02 PM

yes sure while revising :P not in class:P