Shoutbox

Adware in messenger Plus. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Adware in messenger Plus. (/showthread.php?tid=59456)

Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-16-2006 at 11:46 PM

Sorry if this has been posted countless times, but I have a HUGE problem.

I installed Messenger Plus and the sponsor not realising that I was installing adware at the time.

I got pop-ups for a year after they started almost a month after I installed messenger Plus. Of course I didn't associate it with the installation.

I eventually realised it was Msg Plus. So I removed it and the sponsor program.

However, I am still to this day getting 5-10 pop-ups every 30 seconds. This happens especially when I start typing. There are even pop-ups which make you click the cancel button 5 times before it disappears.

Do you know how annoying that is?

I have used adware removal programs since then (How was I supposed to know it would affect it when I didn't know it was msg plus in the first place?) and tried re-installing and uninstalling msg Plus and sponsor program.

Please give me suggestions/ methods to get rid of this.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Eddie on 05-16-2006 at 11:48 PM

Do you have your pop-up blocker turned on?? *-)
Try using house call (search in google) and do a scan. *-)
Other than that just make sure your popup blocker is turned on etc. :)

And last i heard the sponsor wasnt ad-ware :S If you get it fixed reinstall Messenger Plus without the sponsor :)

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Voldemort on 05-16-2006 at 11:51 PM

I think you do have adware, but installed by surfing the web or with any program. If you removed the sponsor, it will not install itself again.
Never.
Do a Scan with Spybot search and destroy and Adaware by lavasoft... and remove everything it detects
you can download them from download.com

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by qgroessl on 05-16-2006 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
And last i heard the sponsor wasnt ad-ware

The sponsor is indeed ad-ware.... ad-ware in no means harms your computer... But I don't think that you should be getting popups like you say from it either.... I think there could be something else you installed causing most of it... If you still want to use Plus! jsut reinstall it without the COMPLETELY OPTIONAL ad-ware that comes with it.
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-16-2006 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Do you have your pop-up blocker turned on?? *-)
Try using house call (search in google) and do a scan. *-)
Other than that just make sure your popup blocker is turned on etc. :)

And last i heard the sponsor wasnt ad-ware :S If you get it fixed reinstall Messenger Plus without the sponsor :)

Sorry, but it's not as simple as that. I'm pretty good on a comp.

I have 4 pop-up blockers, plenty of registry fixers and used every virus scanner, adware scanner and everything else.

The sponsor is adware. Anything that reveals itself with no permission constantly like that and doesn't allow you to close it properly is adware.
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Reaper on 05-16-2006 at 11:53 PM

How did you remove the sponsor in the first place?

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by qgroessl on 05-16-2006 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraser
The sponsor is adware. Anything that reveals itself with no permission constantly like that and doesn't allow you to close it properly is adware.
Yes, but it's optional... and the adware that comes with Plus! is in the form of a search bar and a few icons on the desktop... not pop ups like you are saying... I'm going to have to agree with Nagini.

RE: RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-16-2006 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
quote:
And last i heard the sponsor wasnt ad-ware

The sponsor is indeed ad-ware.... ad-ware in no means harms your computer... But I don't think that you should be getting popups like you say from it either.... I think there could be something else you installed causing most of it... If you still want to use Plus! jsut reinstall it without the COMPLETELY OPTIONAL ad-ware that comes with it.

i read up on it. The descriptions given fit the way this adware works. Especially about it starting up a month afterwards.

It is binded to the computer and not found by any scanners at ALL.
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-16-2006 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
quote:
Yes, but it's optional... and the adware that comes with Plus! is in the form of a search bar and a few icons on the desktop... not pop ups like you are saying... I'm going to have to agree with Nagini.
Have you ever installed it and seen for yourself?
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Voldemort on 05-16-2006 at 11:58 PM

You have your definition of adware of adware a bit twisted..
read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware
Adware in Msgplus is completely optional!
You are asked in the installer if you want to install it or not.
With what programs have you scanned?
Popup blockers do nothing against adware, as it come from your computer.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by [MR] on 05-16-2006 at 11:58 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by UTI
quote:
I have, it wasnt too hard to remove at all, or atleast it shouldnt be.
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by qgroessl on 05-16-2006 at 11:59 PM

quote:
Yes... the old one... it's a search bar and a few desktop icons... I think the new one is slightly different... but I don't think Patchou would allow anything that bad.
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Voldemort on 05-17-2006 at 12:04 AM

quote:

Yes, I have.
The new Msg Plus! 3.63 has another sponsor program, which is new.
What version of Plus do you have?

quote:
Originally posted by [MR]

It will be hard to remove if you try to remove it by yourself or with adware removal programs, as you will corrupt installer.
Please mention If you have tried that.

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
Yes... the old one... it's a search bar and a few desktop icons... I think the new one is slightly different... but I don't think Patchou would allow anything that bad.
Yes, this will show occasional popups... Really simple and less intrusive, I have been using it for a while, no bar, no desktop icons.Neat.
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-17-2006 at 12:05 AM

Well whatever it is, its really bad. Can you imagine having pop-ups every 20-30 seconds when you're trying to write an e-mail? This even happens when I'm not connected to the net too. I need some practical solutions please.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-17-2006 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
quote:

Yes, I have.
The new Msg Plus! 3.63 has another sponsor program, which is new.
What version of Plus do you have?

quote:
Originally posted by [MR]

It will be hard to remove if you try to remove it by yourself or with adware removal programs, as you will corrupt installer.
Please mention If you have tried that.

I Completely uninstalled it and the sponsor program using the proper uninstallation wizard.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Voldemort on 05-17-2006 at 12:09 AM

ok, Please download and run Spybot and Adaware as mentioned before, That adware is NOT part of MsgPlus!
Tell us the results..
Also, a bit offtopic, do not double post, use the edit button on the lower left part of your post. Read the rules Please. http://shoutbox.menthix.net/rules.html

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-17-2006 at 12:11 AM

quote:
ok, Please download and run Spybot and Adaware as mentioned before, That adware is NOT part of MsgPlus!
Tell us the results..
Also, a bit offtopic, do not double post, use the edit button on the lower left part of your post. Read the rules Please. http://shoutbox.menthix.net/rules.html

I have both spybot and adaware. Then I have hijackthis! and AVG etc etc.

Sorry for double post

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Voldemort on 05-17-2006 at 12:12 AM

Ok, could you post your Hijackthis! log?
Run spybot and adaware and tell us how it went

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by qgroessl on 05-17-2006 at 12:13 AM

So please run a scan and tell us the results... having the program isn't good if you don't scan your computer on occasion.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-17-2006 at 12:25 AM

I scan on daily basis. But I will post logs yes.

HijackThis! log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 01:21:55, on 17/05/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\windows\System32\smss.exe
C:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\windows\system32\services.exe
C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2006\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe
C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe
C:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\windows\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\windows\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\windows\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Fraser\My Documents\Programs\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.google.com/ie
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.google.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msn.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.google.com/ie
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://www.google.com/keyword/%s

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by user27089 on 05-17-2006 at 12:27 AM

This is very strange. Being beta testers for Messenger Plus! we have to install the sponsor software aswell, and something like this happening is very strange indeed. I'm still honestly not convinced that it is Messenger Plus! that installed the adware on your system in the first place.

Like you said, you're "good" at computers, so then why did you install the sponsor in the first place? When it clearly explains what it is in the EULA.

(Sorry if I came across as rude in that last bit btw, I was just trying to prove a point).

Also:

I'm surprised nobody has offered this advice.

Download the latest version of Messenger Plus! from http://msgplus.net/download.php and run the installer. Make sure that you do install the sponsor software when doing this. Once installed, reboot your computer and go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and un-install the sponsor.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Fraser on 05-17-2006 at 12:47 AM

I allready did re-install.

As for installing the sponsor, I didn't realise, I thought I was doing a good thing giving support. Was tired and didn't read it properly.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Voldemort on 05-17-2006 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

Download the latest version of Messenger Plus! from http://msgplus.net/download.php and run the installer. Make sure that you do install the sponsor software when doing this. Once installed, reboot your computer and go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and un-install the sponsor.

He said he removed it properly...
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by qgroessl on 05-17-2006 at 02:06 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

He said he removed it properly...
Apparently not ;) haha.... Well... I say let him be because he hasn't really listened to much of what we had to say... just complained about the sponsor... which he could've done in multiple threads...http://shoutbox.menthix.net/basicsearch.php?do=se...=&lookin=msg&sort=
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Voldemort on 05-17-2006 at 02:23 AM

Hmm... I think he uninstalled it wrong, and that he also has many other spyware-adware problems :P

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by qgroessl on 05-17-2006 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Hmm... I think he uninstalled it wrong, and that he also has many other spyware-adware problems :P
Agreed.... my 10 year old cousin says he's good with computers.... Yet I think he's downloaded a few virus's and needed somebody else to reformat his computer for him.... at least twice ;) haha... Some people aren't as good as they think they are... I'll admit... I'm not too good with them... but I'm definately smarter than a lot of people.
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Voldemort on 05-17-2006 at 03:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
Some people aren't as good as they think they are... I'll admit... I'm not too good with them... but I'm definately smarter than a lot of people.

Same :)
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by haydos on 05-17-2006 at 10:23 AM

If you have the newest version of Messenger Plus!, these popups should not be caused by the bundled adware. The sponser bundled with version 3.63.xx onwards has popups which should never require "clicking a cancel button 5 times" like you stated.

Your adware is most likely caused by something else, especially, as you stated considering that you have apparently removed all instances of the sponser already.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by joemailey on 05-17-2006 at 02:45 PM

Its Offical.

He said he has had these problems for about a year.

quote:
I got pop-ups for a year after they started almost a month after I installed messenger Plus. Of course I didn't associate it with the installation.

Good with computers nope not a chance, anyone who is good with computers does not have these problems ever.

I'm 20 worked with PC's since i've been 15  trained in M$ stuff. Would say i'm experienced and more than good enough with Windows XP at least.

And i have not had spyware or virus's for at least 2-3yrs(expect for blaster worm but everyone got that )

His spyware is not caused by Msgplus! because i for fact know patchou is not that stupid to include rubbish like that which will ruin a users computer.

If he was so good he would be wiping out files in C:\Windows folder and in C:\system & System32, also in temp internet files, Going through his program files removing rubbish that is no longer needed. (Usually in problems like this files buried in these folders that need to be removed)

Having hiding files turned on so he can see hiden folders(some programs hide them selves.

So if this has been going on for a year there would be program .exe running in background are something running that you dont need which will stop these if you where to end it and search you would fine it. There's always something on a case like this which will point to what is and where its coming from. And it isn't Plus sponsors.

Also Try safe mode then scan aggain it flags up lot more stuff usually.
RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by RaceProUK on 05-17-2006 at 04:42 PM

While trying to help is good, I'm afraid I didn't read anything truly helpful until trax posted. Why it took that long to suggest the full removal instructions I'll never understand.

I think I'll PM the guy, try to explain everything fully, and offer some friendly advice.

RE: Adware in messenger Plus. by Mentality on 05-17-2006 at 04:53 PM

MSGPLUS may not be the only thing that has installed this stuff on his computer, which is why when he has uninstalled it, he still has the problem.

People these days are too quick to blame one specific thing for problems they are having.