Shoutbox

Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? (/showthread.php?tid=59604)

Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-21-2006 at 04:13 PM

everytime i goto play some music it does play properly and keeps jumping... nothing else will run and when you open the process manager thing it shows that WMP is using 99% CPU and what seems to be random amounts of memory...

heres a screeny:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=652383]

please help me solve this ill be really greatful because i cant listen to anything at the moment.

Thanks!

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by fishybobbins on 05-21-2006 at 04:26 PM

Download Winamp?

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-21-2006 at 04:29 PM

already got it... i dont want to use winamp because i prefer wmp... so thats not really a solution

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by Knucks on 05-21-2006 at 04:35 PM

[offtopic] The song playing is not from the album, Meteora. It is from Hybrid Theory ;) [/offtopic]

Have you tried using any other media players?
or perhaps the new beta of WMP?

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-21-2006 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Knuckles
[offtopic] The song playing is not from the album, Meteora. It is from Hybrid Theory ;) [/offtopic]

Have you tried using any other media players?
or perhaps the new beta of WMP?

winamp works fine...

cant use the beta on this pc because of WGA.... so need the old one
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by Mike on 05-21-2006 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
Download the WGA-friendly version? :P
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-21-2006 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:

care to pm me a link lol

EDIT: Thanks!!! WMP11 works... but its in general uses more memory:P lol oh well!
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-21-2006 at 10:07 PM

Sorry about the double post.. but what my other post says is wrong...

the problem is still happening with wmp11... and wmp11 is really getting on my nerves! looks good... but lags like a bitch...

can anyone else help me try and fix whatever is making WMP goto 99% CPU?

thanks

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-22-2006 at 09:35 AM

*scanning*

EDIT: only thing that was found was a few tracking cookies from advert sites... so its not that AFAIK... any other possible reasons? thanks..

EDIT EDIT:
i googled 'windows media player cpu usage' and some people are having the same problem... or have had. and what i kept seeing was nvidia geforce

surprise surprise! ive got an nvidia geforce fx 5200.... ive been using google and looking on the nvidia website but i cant seem to find any drivers (because i want to try and update them to see if this rectifies the problem...

does anyone know where i can get a decent copy of nvidia geforce fx 5200 drivers... i dont want to download them off of a non-nvidia website just for safety and so far google cant find me that.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html is the download i found.... its downloading right now

but the instructions say

quote:
Originally posted by nvidia driver instal instructions

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

will uninstalling display drivers mean i cant see whats on the screen :S:S:S:S
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by fishybobbins on 05-22-2006 at 09:58 AM

Forceware   includes geforce afaik.

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-22-2006 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fishybobbins
Forceware   includes geforce afaik.

thats what i downloaded :) thanks for your help...

can you help me with what comes after the EDIT EDIT EDIT.. lol

thanks again :)

heres the instructions: http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by Reaper on 05-22-2006 at 10:00 AM

quote:
No. It will just make the performance very bad.
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-22-2006 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
quote:

what do you mena by very bad? :S sorry.. yay thanks for the help reaper:D
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by Reaper on 05-22-2006 at 10:02 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
quote:

what do you mena by very bad? :S sorry.. yay thanks for the help reaper:D
It will give you very low FPS. Everything should display OK, but I notice that when I have no gfx drivers installed, that when you use scrollbars, you can see the poor performance.
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-22-2006 at 10:24 AM

Wow that was VERY BAD! ive updated so now im jus gonna listen to some music and see how it goes!

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by Mentality on 05-22-2006 at 10:27 AM

I'm using GeForce 6200 and I havn't experienced any problems apart for the initial install of WMP11 where there was alot of memory usage like you experienced and the mini-hub didn;t work correctly, after a simple restart of my machine, it worked perfect.

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-22-2006 at 10:37 AM

urgh?! it played two songs fine... then did it again! :(

what else could i try?

thanks

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by John Anderton on 05-22-2006 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Well i found it by my self (well the bypass not the download) so shhh :p its pretty easy :P

Just one thing ... that isnt 98% its no of processes run by the pc .... or is it actually in percentage form :S

Blah either way .... i think its cause its reading the id3 tags and updating the info on the screen (artist info and stuff) so it mabbe causing it to slow and skip. Does it cure itself later ?
RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by M73A on 05-22-2006 at 11:19 AM

no cure.. just gets worse... i bin reading anything i can find via google and one person said it happened to him because his wmp was  automatically looking in folders for new media... i had set this up with wmp10 to find new episodes of lost, prison break, sopranos and to search the my music folder... totally to about 30-40 gb worth of stuff... ive removed them and hopefully its going to work (yn)

RE: Windows Media Player Using 98-100% CPU ??? by saralk on 05-22-2006 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Just one thing ... that isnt 98% its no of processes run by the pc .... or is it actually in percentage form

no it is in percentage form.

If that doesn't work, try disabling all your (WMP) plugins