Shoutbox

Gmail with MSN - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Gmail with MSN (/showthread.php?tid=59635)

Gmail with MSN by volkl on 05-22-2006 at 09:00 AM

I've searched around a bit but can't find the answer I'm after.

I don't want to set up my Gmail as a POP3 account thing with MSN which opens in Outlook etc. I want it so that when I click the "My Email Inbox" thing on MSN, it will take me to my Gmail account in the browser, in exactly the same way it does with your Hotmail account.

Is this possible?

RE: Gmail with MSN by John Anderton on 05-22-2006 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by volkl

I've searched around a bit but can't find the answer I'm after.

I don't want to set up my Gmail as a POP3 account thing with MSN which opens in Outlook etc. I want it so that when I click the "My Email Inbox" thing on MSN, it will take me to my Gmail account in the browser, in exactly the same way it does with your Hotmail account.

Is this possible?
hmmm i dont think that is quite possible :S There is a slight chance i might be wrong though :( Im not sure if the my inbox thing has the capability of redirecting to a .net passport other than one ending with msn.com or hotmail.com (well hotmail.co* to be precise ... that includes all co.uk's and stuff ;))
RE: Gmail with MSN by Volv on 05-22-2006 at 12:14 PM

Not possible via the standard MsgPlus! nor do any plugins for MsgPlus! exist to do this afaik, if the option was available it would have to be made with specific compatibility for Gmail which; with probably less than half of the MsgPlus! population using Gmail is not entirely feasible.

RE: Gmail with MSN by saralk on 05-22-2006 at 12:23 PM

The closest alternative you can do to this, is set-up pop3 e-mail checking in Messenger Plus! (by going to preferences > POP3 E-Mail) then click on More Options... and type in http://www.gmail.com into the box.

This wont work in the exact same way, but to quickly go to your e-mail you can click on the Plus! icon in the contact list and then click on "E-Mails in yourname@gmail.com: X"

RE: Gmail with MSN by RaceProUK on 05-22-2006 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
with probably less than half of the MsgPlus! population using Gmail is not entirely feasible.
Less than half is setill a couple of million people. It's just how much work it'd be to actually implement this.

Edit: Should have said it'd be a plugin.
RE: Gmail with MSN by Sunshine on 05-22-2006 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
with probably less than half of the MsgPlus! population using Gmail is not entirely feasible.
Less than half is setill a couple of million people. It's just how much work it'd be to actually implement this.
You should know by now that Plus! never changes how a certain button in MSNM/WLM works. Checking extra POP3 accounts as a Plus! feature and beeing able to set a website or program to open it with is asfar as it goes. If this feature is wanted one should suggest it to Microsoft themselves.

RE: Gmail with MSN by albert on 05-22-2006 at 04:49 PM

Couldn't this be possible with some kind of patch? (Since I think that clicking on the email button opens up some kind of link? Couldn't the link be changed?)

RE: Gmail with MSN by Zephyr on 05-22-2006 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alby
Couldn't this be possible with some kind of patch? (Since I think that clicking on the email button opens up some kind of link? Couldn't the link be changed?)

Plus is already capable of doing that.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
(by going to preferences > POP3 E-Mail) then click on More Options... and type in http://www.gmail.com into the box.

I'm not really sure, but doesn't this solve volkl's problem, or am i missing something?

RE: Gmail with MSN by volkl on 05-22-2006 at 07:44 PM

quote:
The closest alternative you can do to this, is set-up pop3 e-mail checking in Messenger Plus! (by going to preferences > POP3 E-Mail) then click on More Options... and type in http://www.gmail.com into the box.

This wont work in the exact same way, but to quickly go to your e-mail you can click on the Plus! icon in the contact list and then click on "E-Mails in yourname@gmail.com: X"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this method open my emails using a program such as Outlook?
RE: Gmail with MSN by Sunshine on 05-22-2006 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by volkl
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this method open my emails using a program such as Outlook?
You can choose wether you want a program to open it or if you want to go to the website...just click "more options" button.

[Image: pop-2account.png]

POP3 E-Mail Tutorial
RE: Gmail with MSN by DamianWarS on 06-25-2006 at 05:02 PM

When you click the inbox button or link or whatever in messenger it just opens the default mail client that is set in windows.  This is set in the internet properties at the program tab (run command:control inetcpl.cpl @0,5).  gmail isn't an option here but a reg hack will add it.

Once the reg hack is done open internet properties and at the program tab change the email combo box to the new gmail item and your done.

Here is the reg hack... copy it into notepad and save it as a .reg file.  Then run it and you're done!

quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail]
@="Google GMail"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell\open]
@="Google GMail"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell\open\command]
@="rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler http://www.gmail.com"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\gmail.ico"
revised with added quote tag to make it more readable
RE: Gmail with MSN by 00fez on 06-25-2006 at 07:24 PM

After running the .reg file, the gmail option appears, but nothing happens when I click on the mail button in wlmessenger. I don't know if having firefox as default broswer has anything to do with that...

RE: Gmail with MSN by DamianWarS on 06-25-2006 at 11:24 PM

i just got wlmessenger and this hack doesn't seem to work with it, but it worked great in 7.5 with firefox too.  My passport login or now live login is a gmail account and it seems with or without the hack clicking "my email inbox" does nothing at all and it doesn't seem to matter if its with internet explorer or firefox.  wlmessenger must have disable this feature for non-hotmail users.

functions that can't handle gmail as the default tend to give an error message.  like windows yells at me if I right click something and "send to" it to a mail recipient saying something about my default mail client can't handle that request.  wlmessenger maybe has the same error but since its in beta maybe they haven't really captured that error number so it just does nothing instead of crashing the program.  Maybe once other releases of wlmessenger come out it will work

at least this hack sets gmail as your default windows email client which means any application that opens an email will open gmail so its not all that bad.

RE: Gmail with MSN by 00fez on 06-26-2006 at 12:16 AM

Yeah, being the default thing is pretty useful. Hopefully someone will write a script or release some sort of hack to enable this. oh well, thanks anyway!