Shoutbox

Setting up a wireless shared internet - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Setting up a wireless shared internet (/showthread.php?tid=59653)

Setting up a wireless shared internet by jasonallen on 05-22-2006 at 07:08 PM

Hi there,

I want to set up a 'network' in my house, wirelessly, with a desktop (running Windows 98) and a laptop (running Windows XP). Basically all I want to do is share the broadband internet around the house. What kind of router would I need? Is it possible with different OSs?

RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by tony on 05-22-2006 at 07:11 PM

You need obviously an Wireless router, and the product should have a cd with instructions and drivers, and yes, it can be used in diffrent OS afaik.

take a look:

[Image: 6302G_Diag_big.jpg]

RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by Jhrono on 05-22-2006 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
You need obviously an Wireless router
Not true, you can allways set-up an "ad hoc" network, which means that with 2 wireless adapters, a computer connected to the internet (and a wireless card) and another computer with only the wireless card, can be connected to each other, making possible for both to have internet wirelessly

quote:
Originally posted by nagini
ad hoc.

Thanks!! I wasn't sure of its name.
RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by Voldemort on 05-22-2006 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
"had-oc"

ad hoc.

If you have the router near one of the computers you can connect it directly to the router and buy just one for the other computer. Many new laptops have bulit in wireless cards, check if it has a wireless card.
RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by RaceProUK on 05-22-2006 at 08:51 PM

Also, with the PCs, use the card's utility for 98, and XP's built-in control for XP. Pre-XP SP2 wireless configuration sucks.

RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by Voldemort on 05-22-2006 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
XP's built-in control for XP. Pre-XP SP2 wireless configuration sucks

Xp's sucks too but not as much. Some cards utilities even give you the wep!
RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by RaceProUK on 05-22-2006 at 10:56 PM

I actually prefer XP SP2's utility to the Realtek one I used to have. Haven't even tried the one for my new card (a Ralink chipset, but still an Edmiax card), as I have no issues with XP SP2's utility.

RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by jasonallen on 05-23-2006 at 05:12 PM

Thanks for all your comments, any ideas for the most reliable (and sensibly priced) wireless router to use?

EDIT: I want to be able to use the internet on the laptop without relying on the desktop being connected, which is what I think your 'ad-hoc' idea is all about.

RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by Jhrono on 05-23-2006 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by j.g.allen
I want to be able to use the internet on the laptop without relying on the desktop being connected, which is what I think your 'ad-hoc' idea is all about.
No. If your desktop is the one connected to the internet, using ad-hoc will force you to have it powered on and connected to access the internet through the laptop.. If that's the way you want things to happen (Independent computers) buy a router :)
RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by Voldemort on 05-23-2006 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by j.g.allen
Thanks for all your comments, any ideas for the most reliable (and sensibly priced) wireless router to use?

Take a look in your local computer shop, or online.
I have used Linksis and Belkin and they work great.
RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by andrewdodd13 on 05-23-2006 at 10:53 PM

I don't if this is just local or not, but PC World were selling a decent Netgear WiFi Router with builtin modem and a free USB adapter for £69.99 yesterday. (I assume from your URL that you're in the UK :)).

RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by jasonallen on 05-24-2006 at 05:54 PM

My mate uses Netgear, and it is, quite frankly, extremely unreliable and his internet kicks out quite frequently.

RE: Setting up a wireless shared internet by RaceProUK on 05-24-2006 at 10:47 PM

His reception must be poor then. We have a Netgear here and it rarely if ever gives us trouble. Even when there are issues, it's with one PC out of four or five that has them.