Shoutbox

PSP Questions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: PSP Questions (/showthread.php?tid=59668)

PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 02:29 PM

I got my PSP today, and im trying to setup the wireless connection on it.
I need to setup a network on my pc but I don't know how. Can anyone tell me what to do? I don't have a router, just a wireless card.

Also, once this gets working, is there any programs that can let my PSP control the PC, like change songs etc.

[Edit] I currently have an Ad Hoc network setup which works with my mates laptop. But the PSP doesn't find any of my networks.

RE: PSP Questions by ins4ne on 05-23-2006 at 02:31 PM

i think you need a router with an antenna for wireless... its like i configured my brothers psp to play gta:lcs on the net... and you have to switch the little button on the left side of your psp to wireless...

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hardc0re
i think you need a router with an antenna for wireless... its like i configured my brothers psp to play gta:lcs on the net... and you have to switch the little button on the left side of your psp to wireless...
Yeh, I know how to turn on the wireless on the PSP (:dodgy: ). Surely you can set it up without a router?
RE: PSP Questions by RaceProUK on 05-23-2006 at 04:02 PM

The PSP's ad-hoc mode is designed for between-PSP communication. It doesn't have the software to deal with connecting ad-hoc to PCs.

RE: PSP Questions by vaccination on 05-23-2006 at 04:14 PM

you need a router to connect it to the wireless network.... i did for mine... and im not dure of a programme which lets you controll things on the PC

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
The PSP's ad-hoc mode is designed for between-PSP communication. It doesn't have the software to deal with connecting ad-hoc to PCs.
Yup, I realised that.

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
you need a router to connect it to the wireless network.... i did for mine... and im not dure of a programme which lets you controll things on the PC
I checked in the manual, it says I need an access point OR a router. Making my PC an access point is what I need to do.
RE: PSP Questions by Jhrono on 05-23-2006 at 04:24 PM

.. But you can't do that due to what raceprouk said :(

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
.. But you can't do that due to what raceprouk said :(
It has an infrastructure mode to connect to wireless access point. He was talking only about Ad Hoc mode.
RE: PSP Questions by Jhrono on 05-23-2006 at 04:36 PM

BUT, the only way to make a computer an 'access point' to the network it's connected to is through ad-hoc.. The access points they talk about are little boxes, router look-a-like, that connect to wireless networks and share the network through LAN Ports / Wi-Fi..

Linksys Access Point

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 04:56 PM

Ah I see. So bascially, I can't do it without a router. That sucks. Bad.

RE: PSP Questions by Jhrono on 05-23-2006 at 05:12 PM

There are some cheap routers which can handle the job nicely ;)

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 05:26 PM

quote:
There are some cheap routers which can handle the job nicely ;)
But is it really worth getting a router just for a PSP? Keeping in mind im going to uni in September, and i'm going to take my PC with me *-)
RE: PSP Questions by Jhrono on 05-23-2006 at 05:29 PM

Yes, it's a bit useless unless you've got a laptop :(.. I bet your college has got a Wireless network :tongue: , so relax, in 4 months everything will be great for your psp :tongue:

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 05:34 PM

Bah, I want wireless now :(. Thanks anyways Johny (Y)

RE: PSP Questions by t1a0s on 05-23-2006 at 06:04 PM

What about this?

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=218&products_id=8529&

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by t1a0s
What about this?

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=218&products_id=8529&
Yeh, I was thinking about that. Might buy it.
RE: PSP Questions by Voldemort on 05-23-2006 at 08:30 PM

There are cheap belkin routers that do the job nicely for about 40 dollars.

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-23-2006 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
There are cheap belkin routers that do the job nicely for about 40 dollars.
But like I said, a router useless as its main and only function would be for the PSP. I've bought the WiFi Max anyways :P £20
RE: PSP Questions by RaceProUK on 05-24-2006 at 12:11 AM

quote:
BUT, the only way to make a computer an 'access point' to the network it's connected to is through ad-hoc
Erm, wrong. Ah-hoc uses no access points at all. As soon as there's an access point, it becomes infrastructure.
True, not all cards can be an access point, but some can. That way, the PC can be set up as an access point, and the PSP can connect to it. This will provide Net access, but not control over the PC. To do that, both devices will need appropriate software, and it's a pain in the arse running homebrew on PSP.

NB: This is additional to the info I gave on ad-hoc. If it sounds contradictory, that's a fault of my English. It all makes sense in my head, honest :P
RE: PSP Questions by Jhrono on 05-24-2006 at 12:32 AM

Thanks for telling me that RP, I didn't know that! :)

RE: PSP Questions by zach on 05-24-2006 at 04:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
Also, once this gets working, is there any programs that can let my PSP control the PC, like change songs etc.
Portable VNC

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-24-2006 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
Portable VNC
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
RE: PSP Questions by zach on 05-24-2006 at 09:35 AM

Don't get excited yet though, what firmware version do you have? If you have 2.01+ you will need GTA to use it and if you have 2.7, well you're screwed :rolleyes:

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-24-2006 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
Don't get excited yet though, what firmware version do you have? If you have 2.01+ you will need GTA to use it and if you have 2.7, well you're screwed :rolleyes:
Gah. I got 2.6 and I have no games yet.
RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-25-2006 at 05:43 PM

I've got a problem. I didn't see much point making a new thread seeing as its all related

I got my WiFi Max dongle today, but I have had problems. If I try and connect to the WLAN using the automatics settings on the PSP, it can't get an IP address.
However, I manually typed in address settings that I found on the internet, as others have been getting this problem, but once I test the connection, it says "Internet Connection: Failed" at the bottom

Here are the addresses I used:

IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Router: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 194.168.8.100
Secondary DNS: 194.168.4.100
Those are the settings on my PSP.
The settings for the dongle are:

IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 82.13.208.1
Both DNS' are the same as above.

What am I doing wrong?

RE: PSP Questions by andrewdodd13 on 05-25-2006 at 08:34 PM

If you want to get the PSPs Auto-Detect feature to work you'll most likely needa use XP's Network Setup Wizard and tell it "This computer connects directly to the internet and the other computers connect through it." This will cause the PC to become a DHCP server and should give your PSP an IP automagically.

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-25-2006 at 09:05 PM

Thanks, i'll try that. I've noticed that the WiFi max allows you to install Apache web server on your pc. Is it worth doing that if all else fails?

RE: PSP Questions by andrewdodd13 on 05-25-2006 at 09:26 PM

And why would you want to do that?

Apache is free software and can be installed any time - but it's used for serving HTTP pages onto the internet... like my website is hosted using apache on a local machine...

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-25-2006 at 09:34 PM

Yeh, I thought that.

Ok, I did what you told me to do, but no dice.

I'd rather connect automatically instead of typing it in as its just a lot easier, but I wouldn't mind having to type it in if it was the last resort.

I've done a shit load of Googling, still nothing. I hope I havn't wasted £20.

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-26-2006 at 12:24 PM

Sorry for the double post again, but this is kind of urgent :P

I had somewhat of a breakthrough, if I use the IP of my internet connection as the default gateway of the wireless dongle, the PSP will work fine. However, becuase of this, the internet will not work. So I have to disable the wireless dongle, to use the internet. If it is enabled, then it wont connect with the PSP. I did manage to load Google on my PSP but the internet stopped when I got on it so I couldn't search anything.
What can I do?

RE: PSP Questions by welshboy222 on 05-26-2006 at 04:38 PM

I have a question about the Psp. How do you install flash player onto it ive downloaded the update and I clicked on the seyup but it didn't do anything?

RE: PSP Questions by vaccination on 05-26-2006 at 04:50 PM

Its not a stand alone flash player... it just means that when a web page has a flash file on it the PSP can view it in the Web browser. Where as before it couldn't.

Im pretty sure of this... as i have instaled the update also..and this is what i gathered from the "added features" list it gives you when you install.

RE: PSP Questions by welshboy222 on 05-26-2006 at 04:54 PM

ok thanks

RE: PSP Questions by vaccination on 05-26-2006 at 05:09 PM

No Problem!:)

RE: PSP Questions by Reaper on 05-27-2006 at 02:31 PM

I fixed the problem. I had to enable the sharing of DCHP (67 and 68), DNS and HTTP and it works fine. Thanks for all your help.

RE: PSP Questions by vaccination on 05-27-2006 at 02:33 PM

Glad to no you got it working reaper!

RE: PSP Questions by RaceProUK on 05-29-2006 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by welshboy222
I have a question about the Psp. How do you install flash player onto it ive downloaded the update and I clicked on the seyup but it didn't do anything?
To enable it, use the option in System Settings (you need an Internet connection to do it).