Shoutbox

IRC format messages... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: IRC format messages... (/showthread.php?tid=59691)

IRC format messages... by andrewdodd13 on 05-24-2006 at 07:58 AM

I'm not sure if this is possible, but is there a plug-in that changes messages from the usual:

code:
Friend says:
to something IRC-like such as:
code:
<Friend> message

I use custom names on all my contacts so a big name wouldn't really be a problem, I just find this way easier to look through a conversation. (Kinda like it's laid out in the Plus! logs).
RE: IRC format messages... by RaceProUK on 05-24-2006 at 01:06 PM

It may be possible, but it'll be really difficult to do. Not to mention it'll break certain Plus! features that rely on the current chat format.

RE: IRC format messages... by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-24-2006 at 02:34 PM

If I remember correctly (I'm not currently using WLM) but isn't this supposed to be a feature of WLM already? Or coming? Or Plus! feature? I'm sure I read it somewhere, probably on mess.be...
I'm not perfectly sure about this one, but I'm convinced I read this somewhere some time ago... Can any one confirm this?..

RE: IRC format messages... by J-Thread on 05-24-2006 at 02:54 PM

I think you've read about  the new feature in WLM that doesn't add your name after every line. In MSN it was:

J says:
line one<enter>
J says:
line two<enter>
etc.

In WLM it is:
J says:
line one<enter>
line two<enter>
etc.

As long as the person that is chatting is the one that said the last thing, his name will not show up again...

But that is not an answer to the question. Unfortunatly I don't know how to do this... Sounds difficult, but possible.

RE: IRC format messages... by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-24-2006 at 07:19 PM

Thanks for the explaining J-Thread.. :)..
So, no plugin/opportunity for this at the moment.. :P
Infact this is very hard to do.. Though there are ways.. Hooking the richedit box, or like MsgPlus! does, "replacing" it with it's own custom richedit box... I think this would be the only solution...
Another partly solution would be to use the "/me" function of messenger plus.. That would generate the same effect, though there is a fixed color, standard is Purple, and your contact would see the purple color only, but if his is set to green, it would show green color instead...
This requires that both users have Plus! and that when sending a message, you send the message with a "/me" command in front... What would be possible is to make a Talker for Stuffplug, and set this as a autotalker, with this command in front of all messages send, and I think the color thing could be changed by using the color tags that Plus! supports...

Edit:
In fact, I did this before, and it is here on the forum...
Check this thread: Irc-style msg on msn?
The last message, contains a talker for stuff plug, that does this..
But notice this is only a "dirty" way of doing it, as of now there is no real IRC format message plugin....

RE: IRC format messages... by Reload2 on 05-24-2006 at 08:20 PM

aMSN does that

RE: IRC format messages... by Zephyr on 05-24-2006 at 08:31 PM

You could also achieve this by editing the msgslang.dll file in the MSN Messenger folder. You could replace "%1 says:" with "<%1>. Not sure how you could get the message on the same line as the name though. I've forgotten what string it is, but it's there somewhere.
However, this is patching and is against microsoft's terms.

RE: IRC format messages... by J-Thread on 05-24-2006 at 09:29 PM

There are 7 of those strings.... 2 with (%3) added at the end, probably for the time behind the name, 4 with just "%1 says:", and 1 with: "%1 says:.% 2". I don't know where that is for^o)

RE: IRC format messages... by RaceProUK on 05-24-2006 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
or like MsgPlus! does, "replacing" it with it's own custom richedit box
Do you have any idea how much work that'd be? Plus! actually does hooks RichEdit ;)
RE: IRC format messages... by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-25-2006 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
or like MsgPlus! does, "replacing" it with it's own custom richedit box
Do you have any idea how much work that'd be? Plus! actually does hooks RichEdit ;)
Yes, I know how much work that would be.... Does Plus! hook RichEdit? Ohh, well, after checking the Plus! folder again, I find that he uses RichEditHook.dll, so yeah, I was just sure I'd seen somewhere that he "replaced" it.. Oh, well.. :P.. Anyways, not an wasy job, but would be possible... :P
RE: RE: IRC format messages... by CookieRevised on 05-25-2006 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr
You could also achieve this by editing the msgslang.dll file in the MSN Messenger folder. You could replace "%1 says:" with "<%1>.
Which will break many stuff in Messenger Plus! and possible other addons.

CookieRevised's reply to How to get rid of 'SAYS' from msn nickname