Shoutbox

Ip-show - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Ip-show (/showthread.php?tid=59788)

Ip-show by Crossss on 05-26-2006 at 08:50 PM

Can anybody make an plugin that lets me see the IP-adress to the person I'm chating with? I would be ever in your debt!

thx!

RE: Ip-show by ins4ne on 05-26-2006 at 08:53 PM

invasion of privacy?

RE: Ip-show by GiantSpider on 05-26-2006 at 08:55 PM

The simple & polite answer is no. And you shouldn't be asking for such a plug-in. You can't have a program which reveals a user IP without their consent because of the security risks. Regardless of your desire.

RE: Ip-show by Crossss on 05-26-2006 at 09:00 PM

Its not a invation. In programs like mirc, there is no problem at all to see the ip. And when you take a ping test in msn, the comp. needs to know the other guys ip to resive the "pong". soo what is the problem?

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
ask them to type (!IP)

Not everybody has Messenger Plus!

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
The simple & polite answer is no. And you shouldn't be asking for such a plug-in. Why would you want to know their IP?

I need the ip for online gaming.. It would be very easy with a plugin. But isnt it possible?
RE: Ip-show by Fanta on 05-26-2006 at 09:08 PM

It is an invasion of privacy. Not everyone might want you to know their IP.  Also, a program like mIRC often shows the mask as formatted by the ircd you're on, not the actual IP.

If you want someone's IP, how about .... asking for it.

RE: Ip-show by ipab on 05-27-2006 at 10:18 PM

search the forums... there are countless topics on this subject, even one contining a little tool on making it easier -_- (purely for educational purposes ofcourse...).

RE: Ip-show by ShawnZ on 05-27-2006 at 11:01 PM

Its not an invasion of privacy, and most IRCDs don't filter IP addresses (e.g. efnet)

RE: Ip-show by Reload2 on 05-28-2006 at 12:57 AM

and IRCops can see the ip easily by a whois...

RE: Ip-show by linx05 on 05-28-2006 at 05:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Its not an invasion of privacy, and most IRCDs don't filter IP addresses (e.g. efnet)
Thank you. It's funny how people think it is an invasion of privacy.
RE: Ip-show by WDZ on 05-28-2006 at 05:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
It's funny how people think it is an invasion of privacy.
I think it is an invasion if the "victim" believes that his IP address is safe, and a contact uses some dodgy trick to acquire it without consent.

In general, people have a greater expectation of privacy on Messenger than they do on IRC.
RE: Ip-show by andrewdodd13 on 05-28-2006 at 10:29 AM

Of course, knowing someone's IP is really just like knowing their physical address - all you can really tell is their location in the world.

Unless they don't have a firewall and haven't used Windows Update in a while, but I don't see why people think "omfg you have my IP you can like hack me"... every time you go on to a web page, that http server will log your IP, I have lots of IPs in my Apache log.

RE: Ip-show by Menthix on 05-28-2006 at 11:05 AM

WDZ is a dirty bastard anyway. WDZ has the IPs from all of us. Ever noticed the "IP Address: Logged" on every post? :p. WDZ is invading our privacy!!!1111!one! :D.

RE: Ip-show by ShawnZ on 05-30-2006 at 12:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think it is an invasion if the "victim" believes that his IP address is safe, and a contact uses some dodgy trick to acquire it without consent.

It shouldn't be private anyway. The purpose of an IP is to be public -- its like not wanting to tell your address to the mailman.

RE: Ip-show by Chris4 on 05-30-2006 at 01:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
The purpose of an IP is to be public
quote:
An IP address (Internet Protocol address) is a unique number, a kind of telephone number, used by machines (usually computers) to refer to each other when sending information through the Internet.
Your telephone number isn't public, so why should your IP address?
RE: Ip-show by Steven on 05-30-2006 at 01:16 AM

Dont compare telophone numbers, to ip addresses (didnt spell it right i know i know...) with a telephone # you can be spammed for ever, from skype and tele marketers, but whats the worst that can happen if you know my ip? tell me go on tell me?

RE: Ip-show by ShawnZ on 05-30-2006 at 01:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Your telephone number isn't public, so why should your IP address?

...its not? last i could remember, there was this little database called a phone book that let you map every address to a phone number. :-o
RE: Ip-show by Nathan on 05-30-2006 at 01:38 AM

Unless like us we have it taken out of it :P

RE: Ip-show by Pyroteq on 05-30-2006 at 05:57 AM

If you want it for online gaming, ask them for it?

RE: Ip-show by TiN on 05-30-2006 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Crossss
Can anybody make an plugin that lets me see the IP-adress to the person I'm chating with? I would be ever in your debt!

thx!

1. Send them a file about 1.5 megs.

2. Go in start the run then type in cmd.

3. Write in netstat.

4. While you are sending the file their ip should show up.

5. Find a ip that has a internet provider like optus, bigpond, primus, iinet, adam Internet and so on.......

6. That will be their ip address!

:D
RE: Ip-show by Mentality on 05-30-2006 at 11:00 AM

Can I ask why you need it for online gaming, couldnt you just use a software that would connect you automatically to w.e game they are playing?- Xfire for instance. - Of course you would still both have to be using it, but an IP address aint going to tell you anything.

RE: Ip-show by Steven on 05-30-2006 at 11:17 AM

Where did you here you need it for online gaming? I swear i've read somewhere before about that

RE: Ip-show by Nathan on 05-30-2006 at 11:17 AM

Or setup a forum and get them to make a post in it :P and then go to her post and click on "Show IP".
But you didint here it from me;)

RE: Ip-show by Mentality on 05-30-2006 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steven5678
Where did you here you need it for online gaming? I swear i've read somewhere before about that

quote:
I need the ip for online gaming.. It would be very easy with a plugin. But isnt it possible?

RE: Ip-show by Steven on 05-30-2006 at 11:23 AM

Oh, Does it ask you to type in the persons ip to play him? Im sure there could be an easier way :P

RE: Ip-show by Mentality on 05-30-2006 at 11:24 AM

He says he wants it on MSN so he can see peoples IP for online gaming, but I fail to see why he would need to see everyones, and why it has anything to do with MSN if he wants it for gaming.

but w.e

RE: RE: Ip-show by Crossss on 05-30-2006 at 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
He says he wants it on MSN so he can see peoples IP for online gaming, but I fail to see why he would need to see everyones, and why it has anything to do with MSN if he wants it for gaming.

but w.e

I don't need everybodys IP only the ones I'm playing with. But it would be just stupid to make one that just shows some one..

quote:
Originally posted by TiN
1. Send them a file about 1.5 megs.

2. Go in start the run then type in cmd.

3. Write in netstat.

4. While you are sending the file their ip should show up.

5. Find a ip that has a internet provider like optus, bigpond, primus, iinet, adam Internet and so on.......

6. That will be their ip address!

I have tried that before, but it dosn't work with everybody. With some people it only showes ther domain. That is with people who are connected to internet through there university. But it was a very good idea ^^
RE: Ip-show by Menthix on 05-30-2006 at 01:05 PM

quote:
I don't need everybodys IP only the ones I'm playing with.
If that person use Messenger Plus! than simply ask him/her to type "(!IP)" (without the quotes.

For persons without Plus!, simply as him/her to visit http://www.showipaddress.com/ and paste the result to you.

It isn't easy to make a plugin for this that tells you the IP without and cooperation from the user from the other side. Because MSN/WLM don't make direct connections anymore... even filetransfers are not always direct connections (it used to be direct only in the past).
RE: RE: Ip-show by Crossss on 05-30-2006 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
If that person use Messenger Plus! than simply ask him/her to type "(!IP)" (without the quotes.

For persons without Plus!, simply as him/her to visit http://www.showipaddress.com/ and paste the result to you.

It isn't easy to make a plugin for this that tells you the IP without and cooperation from the user from the other side. Because MSN/WLM don't make direct connections anymore... even filetransfers are not always direct connections (it used to be direct only in the past).

Most of them does not have Messenger Plus! and dosn't want to start. And it would be must easier to have a butten in msn og that it always is shown..

I'm just wondering if its possible not if its easy ^^ sow If someone manage to make one I and many other would be grateful..

A IP-adress is ment to be public, sow I don't see the problem. It would probably be one of the most popular addons to MSN, and thats prestige:)

Hope someone is good enough to make one;)
RE: Ip-show by Jhrono on 05-30-2006 at 02:41 PM

quote:
A IP-adress is ment to be public
It is ?
RE: Ip-show by Mentality on 05-30-2006 at 04:36 PM

It's not MEANT to be public at all, it shud only be accessed when it needs to be, any reputable webpage that does use your IP clearly states that in any terms and conditons based on the site.

Using a program like the one your requesting would be stealing the IP because not everyone would know you was taking it. no matter what it's for. this is what people are trying to tell you.

maybe you don't plan on using it maliciously, but an open program like that would be used maliciously by some people - not that prestige at all really is it.

RE: Ip-show by Menthix on 05-30-2006 at 04:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
It is ?
Yes it is. Almost the entire internet is based on TCP/IP communication. You can't make a direct connection to another pc/server without making your IP public to that pc/server. An IP address is meant to be public because of how TCP/IP is designed. There is nothing scary about people knowing your ip anyway...

My IP address of my home pc is 84.245.16.138 ...it's on 24 hours a day and it's a static IP AFAIK, so in a few months from now this will still be my IP.... HACK ME / SEND ME VIRUSES / RAPE ME / COME TO MY HOUSE AND KILL ME... I don’t give a shit because I know there is nothing scary about other people knowing my IP address... in fact: The webmasters of every site I ever visited know my IP address + the millions of people who connected to my PC on P2P software.

The only reason why you can't see the IP addresses of your contacts on MSN/WLM is because you don't make any direct connection to your contacts. Messages you send are sent to Microsoft's server and Microsoft's server than sends it to your contact. So the only IP you will see is the IP from the server. That's why it's impossible to make a plugin that shows the IP from your contacts without the need for your contact to manually accept it (do stuff) before it works. Letting your contact go to a site like http://www.showipaddress.com/ and let him paste it will probably just as effective as the best plugin design someone could come up with. The file transfer "trick" TiN mentioned can work, but it's not fail proof because in a lot of situations MSN/WLM will actually do file transfers trough the MS server too... so you still don't have the right IP.

Conclusion: Making a plugin like this is probably not possible, but an IP is meant to be public if you actually want to communicate on the internet.

quote:
any reputable webpage that does use your IP
EVERY site you have ever visited uses your IP. The site wouldn't even be able to serve you pages if it didn't know the IP you're connecting trough. Even every webserver software like Apache and IIS store the IP address of every visitor that hits the server by default.

quote:
an open program like that would be used maliciousl
What kind of malicious stuff are you thinking of? I just gave the entire world my IP, so feel free to demonstrate.
RE: Ip-show by Voldemort on 05-30-2006 at 05:26 PM

quote:
It would probably be one of the most popular addons to MSN, and thats prestige

Yeah, as everyone needs their contacts IP.
RE: Ip-show by Plik on 05-30-2006 at 06:19 PM

quote:
It's not MEANT to be public at all, it shud only be accessed when it needs to be, any reputable webpage that does use your IP clearly states that in any terms and conditons based on the site.
EVERY website uses your ip, otherwise how the hell would it know where to send the webpage to?

Back on topic, if you want to know their IP you can ask, otherwise if they don't want you to know, you don't need to know