Shoutbox

Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! (/showthread.php?tid=59791)

Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Menthix on 05-26-2006 at 10:15 PM

They will hurt us :o.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=654736]

...But seriously, Cookie if you read this... Give Patchou or me an update on the Dutch languagefile (preferably Patchou). If you don't have enough time, then maybe I can finish it? If you're still gonna finish it, than at least give a quick message and let us know you're alive.

I'm starting to worry because you never seem to be online anymore :s.

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Sunshine on 05-26-2006 at 10:43 PM

I'm pretty sure we need not worry about Cookie...he posts here and there and every now and then i see him appear (log in) on msn. If anything Cookie is incredibly busy (i think) in his job as theater technician...we may need to worry about him beeing way too busy (lurking burnout, starting to forget things) tho as i do lots of times (but blah i'm female, we tend to worry too much).

Surely he will meet the deadlines *fingers crossed*.

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by CookieRevised on 05-26-2006 at 10:47 PM

I'm still as much alive as I was the last time I left a quick message regarding the translation though...

But indeed I don't have much time to roam the forums as I used to, the time I have mostly goes to the translation.

But I can say one thing: although the overall dialogs are bigger than before, the actual controls on them are quite often waaaay smaller (and quite often without any reason... aka much unused but unavailable white space) making it absolutely hard, and in some cases totally impossible, to make a consistent and decent translation.

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Omar on 05-26-2006 at 10:47 PM

man, thats bad news...

Im sure that if cookie can't do it others can.... we have an army of really dodgy dutch people...

Menthix, Sunnie, Tochjo, Fanta, Mippo, etc....

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Menthix on 05-26-2006 at 10:54 PM

:bow: Cookie :bow: Just remember to contact me when you think you need help.

RE: RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Patchou on 05-26-2006 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
But I can say one thing: although the overall dialogs are bigger than before, the actual controls on them are quite often waaaay smaller (and quite often without any reason... aka much unused but unavailable white space) making it absolutely hard, and in some cases totally impossible, to make a consistent and decent translation.

well, it's too bad you never told me about it then. I've fixed a lot of stuff based on translator's feedback since the beginning of the processus.
RE: RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by ZrednaZ on 05-27-2006 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Totally agreed. Just have a look at MSN Messenger's own preferences - their translators appear to have tons of space to make correct translations compared to us (and they're the professionals :refuck:). An example: In the Danish MSN Messenger beta they always refer to 'contacts' as 'kontaktpersoner'. In Plus it's most of the time only possible to make room for 'kontakter' which in Danish isn't quite the same thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I've fixed a lot of stuff based on translator's feedback since the beginning of the processus.

I reported that there isn't enough space for the official Danish translation of 'Away' in the RadAway key in [Window.PersoStatus]; you ain't fixed that. :XP:

Btw this also goes for RadAway in [Window.PersoStatusSettings].
RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Patchou on 05-27-2006 at 08:10 PM

lol, so you wanna compare th way the translation is done for Plus! and the way it's done for Messenger? the Microsoft way is the best by far (as it gives translators control over the complete interface) but it would probably require 5 times more work, especially for upgrades, including minor ones and I'm not about to ask every translator to work full time all year long on my punny addon.

I can't fix space issues for every language, I never could and I never will. However, I'm doing my best to accomodate the 20 translator's teams and for that to happen, I need to know when there is a problem. From the feedback I've had in general, nobody seems particularly bothered with space issues, at least, not more than with Messenger Plus! 3 if you consider the proportion of requested compared to the amount ot stuff that had to be translated.

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Fanta on 05-28-2006 at 01:08 PM

If there might be a sudden need for help with the Dutch translation, feel free to bug me. With the space problem, I can imagine it's a problem in Dutch as we're long winded people :P Two know more then one though, together we might be able to come up with something suitable?

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by CookieRevised on 05-28-2006 at 04:41 PM

For some things there are alternatives, but those alternatives are not consistant and/or canon with other translations of similar sentences.

In some cases though, there is not a single Dutch alternative (eg: "Up" => "Omhoog" in the find dialog).

Many controls are just long enough to hold the English translation. The thing is that English is a language with extremely many short words and where combined words don't exist; they all are seperate words (and thus can be 'splitted' over multiple lines).

In many other languages the words are much longer. Especially in Dutch where, as Fanta has pointed out, words are relative very long, not to mention that many words are combined together and can't be split.

eg: to give a (maybe not so good) example: "contact log viewer program" would become "contactpersonenlogboekprogramma".

These same issues also existed in Plus!3 and where also pointed out back then. The thing that some controls have even less available space (while there is plenty of space which can be used) now makes that even worse.

@Patchou: a list is being compiled with the trouble controls

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Exca on 05-28-2006 at 06:42 PM

'Contactpersonen' could also be 'contacten' (contacts in english). As we are not talking about a mechanical device, everybody knows it's about the persons in your list, which makes it a smaller word without a double meaning. Microsoft likes to write 'Contactpersonen' because they got plenty of space, but we must be realistic as we are limited. We must be creative, though clear. I really believe if we bundle our Dutch power we can bring up good alternatives :)

'contact log viewer program' -> 'contactlogboek projector'

viewer program -> weergave -> weergever = projector (beter nederlands)

see?

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Menthix on 05-28-2006 at 06:53 PM

"contacten" could work, but I personally think it sounds a bit dodgy.

And "contactlogboek projector" just sounds plain weird. Do not forget the Dutch translation is used by both people from Belgium and Netherlands. "Contactlogboek projector" may be acceptable for Belgium, but I can assure you 80% from the people from the Netherlands have no idea what you're talking about.

RE: RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Exca on 05-28-2006 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
"contacten" could work, but I personally think it sounds a bit dodgy.

And "contactlogboek projector" just sounds plain weird. Do not forget the Dutch translation is used by both people from Belgium and Netherlands. "Contactlogboek projector" may be acceptable for Belgium, but I can assure you 80% from the people from the Netherlands have no idea what you're talking about.

Theoreticly 'projector' (beamer in english) means 'weergever' (displayer in english) for both countries. I don't know for holland, but will they think they have to buy the device instead of double-clicking? Guess not... Even stronger, in Holland the language-usage is even more strict than in Belgium... and i'm belgian... so it doesn't sound weird to me. The 'contacten' thing is discussable. Though in every cellphone they use Contacten, which are also connections, and there sure are as many cellphone-users as plus! users.

It's not because it's different, it's bad. It's just a habit falling apart that's all. Like MSN that is going to be WLM in a couple of weeks. People still don't believe it's going to change, and they think it sounds weird as well. But lets see in a year how many people still think it sounds weird, and who still uses the word MSN. People make habits fast, especially on computers.
RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Fanta on 05-28-2006 at 07:12 PM

'contactlogboek projector' sounds extremely Dodgy to me. (yes, capitalised to put empasys on it :P)

To make it even more complicated, a lot of English words have found their way into Dutch. Just to point out, Viewer is Dutch as well:

U hebt gezocht op viewer:

RESULTAAT (maximaal 20 woorden)

vie·wer (de ~ (m.), ~s)
1 optisch toestelletje om dia's e.d. te bekijken

Source: www.vandale.nl  I'd say they can be trusted ;)

"contact logviewer" zou technisch gezien dus een mogelijkheid zijn.

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Exca on 05-28-2006 at 07:33 PM

pro·jec·tor (de ~ (m.), ~en/~s)
1 toestel om een positieve afbeelding op een scherm te projecteren

:refuck:

No but i know what you mean. (Weird northernneighbours :dodgy:):d

RE: RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by CookieRevised on 05-28-2006 at 08:59 PM

[SERIOUSLY GETTING OFF TOPIC]

blah, I knew there would be a discussion about this, hence why I tried to avoid it by saying "it isn't the best example".

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
'Contactpersonen' could also be 'contacten' (contacts in english). As we are not talking about a mechanical device
What I gave as an example was just that: an example... Moreover, "contacten" is used in some places where there is no dispute over what it could mean.

quote:
everybody knows it's about the persons in your list, which makes it a smaller word without a double meaning. Microsoft likes to write 'Contactpersonen' because they got plenty of space, but we must be realistic as we are limited. We must be creative, though clear. I really believe if we bundle our Dutch power we can bring up good alternatives :)
Believe me when I say that there are no alternatives for some stuff.

We had these discussions years ago too where people suggested all kinds of dodgy, twisted, even invented words. Used one 'alternative' in one sentence and another 'alternative' in another sentence. To me that's just a plain quick dirty and messy translation.

quote:
'contact log viewer program' -> 'contactlogboek projector'

viewer program -> weergave -> weergever = projector (beter nederlands)

see?
That is in fact far worse Dutch; and not a translation at all. A "projector" is not a "viewer" in the context of a logbook viewer. You make a very common mistake in seeking words which translated back to English are the same word again, but without taking in account the many differences in meanings and contexts and the changes that the meaning of the word undergoes when double translating.

Even in English a 'viewer' can mean many different things.

A "viewer", as translated from the Dutch "projector", is not a program to view something with, but it is a beamer.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
"Contactlogboek projector" may be acceptable for Belgium, but I can assure you 80% from the people from the Netherlands have no idea what you're talking about.
Even in Belgium it is plain wrong and would seem it came straight from online translator, and not even a good one.

quote:
I don't know for holland, but will they think they have to buy the device instead of double-clicking? Guess not...
That's tbh, a very stupid reason to use that word. It is not because the letters form the same word when you do a double translation without any concearn of the meaning (English > Dutch > English), that you can use the word.

quote:
Even stronger, in Holland the language-usage is even more strict than in Belgium...
Not true. They follow exactly the same grammatical rules, exactly the same spelling rules, etc. It is exactly the same language and exactly evenly strict. The only difference is between the frequency of the use of certain words (and the accent when speaking the language).

quote:
Originally posted by Fanta
To make it even more complicated, a lot of English words have found their way into Dutch.
Which doesn't always mean they have the same meaning:
quote:
Originally posted by Fanta
Just to point out, Viewer is Dutch as well:

RESULTAAT (maximaal 20 woorden)
vie·wer (de ~ (m.), ~s)
1 optisch toestelletje om dia's e.d. te bekijken

Source: www.vandale.nl  I'd say they can be trusted ;)
"contact logviewer" zou technisch gezien dus een mogelijkheid zijn.
Nope, it isn't a possible because the Dutch word "viewer" means something entirly different than the English "viewer".

quote:
It's just a habit falling apart that's all. Like MSN that is going to be WLM in a couple of weeks. People still don't believe it's going to change, and they think it sounds weird as well. But lets see in a year how many people still think it sounds weird, and who still uses the word MSN. People make habits fast, especially on computers.

This isn't about "how it sounds" and certainly not about getting used to it. This is about translating and not inventing some twisted around meanings of words, using very localized words, doing double translations (en => nl => en), using very old words which don't exist anymore while there is a perfect good Dutch translation for it (old discussions with Servine, ring a bell?), and/or making a messy thing where sentences often don't even "sound" right for both Belgium and The Netherlands, let alone that some sentences don't say what is meant or explain what the control exactly does.

Which is exactly why I started (took over) the translation some years ago. I do not intend to go back there.

[/SERIOUSLY GETTING OFF TOPIC]

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Fanta on 05-29-2006 at 12:17 AM

You're not seriously getting off topic, we all were. I mostly was poking fun at 'contactlogboek projector' 

but in all seriousness, if you have trouble with finding suitable words for some parts, brainstorming about it with more dutchies might be an option as together we might find something that fits, I think everyone here is merely saying that they wouldn't mind helping you out at times.

RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!! by Sypher on 06-23-2006 at 04:39 PM

*Bumps this topic*

Where did the Dutch language file hid himself?