Shoutbox

This would be fun if we - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: This would be fun if we (/showthread.php?tid=59825)

This would be fun if we by Nathan on 05-27-2006 at 08:23 PM

Put a counter on the MP!L new site so the public (us) could see how many people are either on the site or how many people are downloading :P
It would be fun to see the people all anxios to download and it would be fun to watch the download counter go up dead quickly.
What do you guys think :P

Its just one of those wacky ideas of mine :D

( I have 1111 Posts  :D I'm waiting for my post count to go to 1337 :P:D)

RE: This would be fun if we by ins4ne on 05-27-2006 at 08:25 PM

yeah great idea :D i think that would interest many people :D

RE: This would be fun if we by Nathan on 05-27-2006 at 08:26 PM

But incase anyone would be scared of ruining the look of the page put it on another page :P:D which would be better sort of

RE: This would be fun if we by ins4ne on 05-27-2006 at 08:29 PM

somebody must code something for programs that doesnt allow people to put it on their site... something like a hack which says: "sorry youre not my owner, you cant put me on youre page... please ask my programmer for permission!" would be funny...

RE: RE: This would be fun if we by Supersonicdarky on 05-27-2006 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hardc0re
somebody must code something for programs that doesnt allow people to put it on their site... something like a hack which says: "sorry youre not my owner, you cant put me on youre page... please ask my programmer for permission!" would be funny...

i'm very sure that is possible :dodgy:

i guss i'm (y) for the counter idea...
RE: This would be fun if we by Nathan on 05-27-2006 at 09:41 PM

So it wasn't a wacky idea?

RE: This would be fun if we by Menthix on 05-27-2006 at 11:13 PM

I contacted Patchou and Guido (site designer) about it. They both like the idea... so you may see them soon on msgpluslive.net :D. It still depends on how much more server load such counters consume tough.

RE: This would be fun if we by Supersonicdarky on 05-27-2006 at 11:16 PM

it should be a live counter (like on DA) so you wouldnt have to refresh the page to see the new count ;)

RE: This would be fun if we by Menthix on 05-27-2006 at 11:28 PM

A livecounter would be pretty cool indeed, but also probably means more serverload. And with a site with such many users scripts causing high serverload is something to avoid at all costs. But it could be looked into.

As long as it doesn't cause such ridiculous server speeds as DA :p.

RE: This would be fun if we by user27089 on 05-27-2006 at 11:59 PM

The deviantart counter is just a counter that is constantly counting upwards, it doesn't actually count the amount of submissions onto the site.

I really like the idea of having a counter to see how many people download though :).

RE: This would be fun if we by Eljay on 05-28-2006 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
The deviantart counter is just a counter that is constantly counting upwards, it doesn't actually count the amount of submissions onto the site.

umm yes it does...
RE: This would be fun if we by Hank on 05-28-2006 at 07:44 AM

i dunno whether it would put to much strain on thew server.. with the sharing folders in WLM8 now i assume people wil just share the MPL4 file over there folders rather than download it from the site

RE: This would be fun if we by Nathan on 06-24-2006 at 10:54 AM

Ok,
Its a day before Msg Plus! Live comes out! and is there going to be a counter?
Thanks

RE: This would be fun if we by Plik on 06-24-2006 at 10:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

umm yes it does...
umm no it doesn't, open up the page, leave it a bit to count up, then refresh, and the number generally goes back down.
It is quite close though :P

* Plik licks eljelly
RE: This would be fun if we by fergofrog on 06-24-2006 at 11:02 AM

That would be awsum, hint hint Patchou! Can you please do it and post the stats on for the first minute of opening.

RE: This would be fun if we by Cee-estee on 06-24-2006 at 08:29 PM

It wouldn't do much to the server if it was already counting it and saving it in, say, a txt document. And then all it would have to do it pull that number and put it on a page. The only way the server would crash is if everyone was refreshing the page like crazy. Even that could be prevented if they just linked to the text page.

- Cee