Shoutbox

Proccess Help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Proccess Help (/showthread.php?tid=59831)

Proccess Help by Nathan on 05-28-2006 at 01:10 AM

Ok guys,
I have approx 66 proccess at the mo, and some of them i have never seen before and whenever i try to end them they say access denied.
Tell me if any of the look suspicious to you. Thanks
Nathan
[Image: attachment.php?pid=655232]

RE: Proccess Help by Voldemort on 05-28-2006 at 01:12 AM

Do an adware scan with spybot... then start in safe mode and run another scan using adaware...

RE: Proccess Help by Lou on 05-28-2006 at 01:13 AM

Could you please make that a thumbnail or something? You're messing with the forum design:cry: Or maybe just rid the picture of the useless stuff on the right:P

From what I see, you've got internet explorer, msn messenger, smartftp, limewire, photoshop, windows media player,  dreamweaver,  notepad (a few times),  all at once. That can take quite a bit of resources.

edit: and wtf is hidservice.exe ? Seems like "hidden service" imo.
RE: Proccess Help by Voldemort on 05-28-2006 at 01:16 AM

Yeah, but its not ok that he cant stop them...

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
whenever i try to end them they say access denied.

RE: Proccess Help by Supersonicdarky on 05-28-2006 at 01:16 AM

are all the cc****.exe processes part of ccleaner?

RE: Proccess Help by Lou on 05-28-2006 at 01:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
Yeah, but its not ok that he cant stop them...
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
whenever i try to end them they say access denied.

he didn't say every single one of his processes couldn't be stopped. Besides, system processes can't normally be stopped..with good reason.
RE: Proccess Help by Voldemort on 05-28-2006 at 01:22 AM

still, i have only 26 processes... and system ones are just a few..

RE: Proccess Help by Lou on 05-28-2006 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
still, i have only 26 processes... and system ones are just a few..
sometimes there are optional windows updates that have processes.
RE: Proccess Help by Adeptus on 05-28-2006 at 03:38 AM

Nathan,

Please do two things:

1) Close all your open programs.  Right click icons for any things you have running in the system tray and try to close them.  When you've closed everything there is to close, take your screenshots again and repost them. 

2) Please scan your computer with some antispyware product, such as Spybot S&D or Windows Defender.

RE: RE: Proccess Help by rav0 on 05-28-2006 at 04:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
rid the picture of the useless stuff on the right
quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
b]edit: and wtf is hidservice.exe ? Seems like "hidden service" imo.[/b]
HID: human interface device
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
are all the cc****.exe processes part of ccleaner?
Ther're Symantec apps i think.

What's all the programs starting with CL?
RE: Proccess Help by Nathan on 05-28-2006 at 09:10 AM

Ok here you are:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=655355]

RE: Proccess Help by andrewdodd13 on 05-28-2006 at 10:40 AM

Here's a run down of what each process is, to the best of my knowledge:

iPodService.exe - For iPods - probably comes with iTunes (and people wonder why I hate iTunes...)
NMBgMonitor.exe - To do with Nero, you can safely disable it with MSConfig
wmiprvse.exe - Windows Management Instrumenation - a system process.
ctfmon.exe - Windows Advanced Text Services, it can be disabled but it's harmless.
taskmgr.exe - Hint: When you close the Task Manager, this goes away ;)
SNDSrvc.exe - Symantec - Related to Norton. There are a few services similar to this, which is why people say Norton products are memory hogs.
alg.exe - Application Layer Gateway service. Used when your PC is functioning as a gateway for other computers on a network, can be disabled with services.msc safely if this is *NOT* the case.
wuauclt.exe - Windows Update Client, for automatic updates.
avgcc.exe - AVG Anti-Virus control center. If you use AVG, personally I'd recommend uninstalling Norton.
iTunesHelper.exe - iTunes again... memory waste.
wdfmgr.exe - Windows User Mode Driver Framework, used by drivers which use this framework.
PCMService.exe - Apparently it's related to Dell Media Experience, can be safely removed with MSConfig.
ULCDRSvr.exe - Ulead DVD Workshop related service. It's probably required to run this program.
slserv.exe - "Installed alongside Smartlink communication products and offers additional support to the modem service." If you have a Smartlink product, leave it well alone.
nvsvc32.exe - nVidia Desktop Service. I'd actually recommend you disable this using services.msc - it can actually be a pain.
Hidservice.exe - Human Interface Device Service, usually started when you have fancy input devices.
CLMLService.exe - Cyberlink MediaLibrary, at first I thought this was spyware, but apparently it's to do with a media program. It uses a lot of RAM though, so I'd recommend uninstalling it (it's PowerDVD or something) and replacing it with something like VLC which doesn't install any services.
CLMLServer.exe - Same again.
CLCapSvc.exe - I'm guessing, but it's probably the Video Capture service for Cyberlink programs.
avgemc.exe - AVG AV Related.
avgupsvc.exe - AVG AV Related.
avgamsvr.exe - AVG AV Related.
AOLacsd.exe - Probably related to AOL...
RTHDCPL.exe - Realtek Audio Control Panel
svchost.exe - Windows Service Host... there is more than one instance of this because most Windows Services spawn from it.
explorer.exe - Windows Explorer, also controls the start menu and desktop icons.
jusched.exe - Java Runtime Update Scheduler... I have this on my system, I can't figure out how to disable it :D.
SDMCP.exe - Stardock Themes Customization related.
ccApp.exe - Norton product related.
spoolsv.exe - Printer Spooler (stores documents before they're printed).
lsass.exe - Windows Service - hopefully you've patched from WU, because lsass is the cause of the sasser virus (*BUT* if you've patched it is actually an essential windows service!)
services.exe - Windows Service.
winlogon.exe - Windows Service.
csrss.exe - Windows Service.
smss.exe - Windows Service.
ccEvtMgr.exe - Norton Product Related.
SPBBCSvc.exe - Norton Product Related.
ISSVC.exe - Norton Internet Security Related.
ccSetMgr.exe - Norton Product Related.
CLSched.exe - Cyberlink Product Related.
rundll32.exe - Windows Run DLL as Exe program, I haven't a clue what this could be running :P.
System - Duh.
System Idle Process - I don't really know, but it gives an indication of how much free CPU there is :)

It's a big list, but apart from memory hogs such as Norton and Cyberlink stuff, I don't actually see anything nasty.