Shoutbox

video card problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: video card problem (/showthread.php?tid=59963)

video card problem by - keef on 05-31-2006 at 04:59 AM

For some reason some of the games i've tried on my comp somtimes freezes for 15 secs then goes normal agian. Then it freezes agian. But there's sound when it freezes. Any idea why this is happening?

I use windows xp. My video card is Mx440

RE: video card problem by kao on 05-31-2006 at 05:06 AM

check if any processes are using 100% cpu when its freezing, get the newest nvidia drivers, check dxdiag for any problems.

how old are the games? gf 4 mx440 is an old card =p

RE: video card problem by - keef on 05-31-2006 at 05:20 AM

i tried command & conquer generals and this online game called Gunz. I checked the processes. Nothing was using 100% cpu when freezing. Also i already got the newest drivers for my card. And i check dxdiag. No problems. Any idea what the problem is?

RE: video card problem by kao on 05-31-2006 at 05:29 AM

something must be running to keep freezing the machine up, try closing everything/ending all tasks you dont need and running a game again, if it still does it then it's probably not a process freezing the machine

RE: video card problem by - keef on 05-31-2006 at 05:31 AM

hm..i've tried that already...do u think somthing's wrong with video card?

RE: video card problem by xJ + on 05-31-2006 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
get the newest nvidia drivers,

not all graphic card can support the newest drivers, check before downloading and installing.

quote:
Originally posted by - keef
hm..i've tried that already...do u think somthing's wrong with video card?
the video card MIGHT be faulty. check other hardwares too, faulty hardwares MIGHT/will give problems.
RE: video card problem by - keef on 05-31-2006 at 10:23 PM

are there a program to check if there's any errors with the video card?

RE: video card problem by Voldemort on 05-31-2006 at 10:26 PM

Device manager....
My Computer > Properties > Management ~ > Device Manager
If failing a question mark icon should appear....
It may even appear normal and be faulty but its a start

RE: video card problem by xJ + on 05-31-2006 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by - keef
are there a program to check if there's any errors with the video card?
The program I used is PC-doctor which is provided in my PC. Here's the link of the web.
http://www.pc-doctor.com/
EDIT: it's pre-installed into my PC. I'm not sure whether there'll be a download for it.
RE: video card problem by Nathan on 05-31-2006 at 11:04 PM

Is your BIOS setting set too restart pc if GPU overheats?
Mine can be set to do that so have a look!

RE: video card problem by - keef on 06-04-2006 at 06:52 PM

how can you check ur BIOS settings?

RE: video card problem by Adeptus on 06-04-2006 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by keef
For some reason some of the games i've tried on my comp somtimes freezes for 15 secs then goes normal agian. Then it freezes agian. But there's sound when it freezes.
This sounds like exactly what happens when modern graphics cards overheat.  Open up the computer, turn it on, and check the graphics card fan.  I will be surprised if you find it spinning.

Excessive dust and hairballs inside your computer can cause cooling problems too, so if you find it very dusty, get a can of compressed air and blow it out.

RE: video card problem by - keef on 06-04-2006 at 09:22 PM

can i use a vacum to suck the dirt?

RE: video card problem by Adeptus on 06-04-2006 at 10:29 PM

Vacuums don't work very well for this.  Part of the problem is that the hoses are too large, you can't get very close without touching things and risking mechanical damage, and the suction is pretty weak.  If you think your computer needs blowing out, just get one of these:
[Image: B00006I58S.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

I would start by checking the GPU fan, though.  It's very common for the small fans used on graphics cards to seize up and that's a bigger problem than dust.

RE: video card problem by - keef on 06-04-2006 at 10:37 PM

hm..thanks. what are these called?

RE: video card problem by Voldemort on 06-04-2006 at 10:43 PM

Duster... compressed air can, air can, etc... they are sold in big markets with electronics department and electronics stores...[walmart, bestbuy... etc...]

RE: video card problem by - keef on 06-10-2006 at 07:24 AM

ok. now i gotta new problem. i bought the duster and now my computer is dust free. when i hooked the computer back up i was looking at my video card to see if it was moving, but i found out that it wasn't. Also, when i touched it it was preatty hot. Any ideas?

RE: video card problem by Adeptus on 06-11-2006 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by keef
i bought the duster and now my computer is dust free. when i hooked the computer back up i was looking at my video card to see if it was moving, but i found out that it wasn't. Also, when i touched it it was preatty hot.
I assume you mean the fan and that it doesn't spin.  Which is what I suspected (and suggested to you) all along.

The only long term solution is replacement.  It is usually not possible to replace just the fan, so you will be looking at replacing the entire GPU cooler assembly (the fan as well as the heatsink) with a third party one.  The good news is that many of the third party coolers deliver either better cooling or quieter cooling, or both.

You didn't mention what card you have.  These guys make high end, quiet coolers for just about all of them, although note that these take up the slot next to the graphics card and that could be a problem in a system with all card slots used.

If you would prefer something more conventional, more like the stock cooler, the Vantec Iceberq comes in two sizes that cover most modern graphics cards.  Unlike the more elaborate kinds, these are frequently carried by local computer retailers.

The usual problem with fans is that the cheap sleeve bearings have seized up.  You can tell that is the case by trying to turn the fan rotor with your fingers -- if it doesn't turn freely, it may be worth trying to lubricate it as a short term solution. 

The bearings are under the fan and hard to get to, but you can try to get a liberal amount of WD-40 or some mineral oil in there, while turning the blades back and forth with your fingers.  You will know it got to the right place when the fan starts to turn freely.  If it still doesn't work when powered up, then it probably has burned out and there is no temporary fix for that.

In either case, it still should be replaced ASAP.  The benefits of lubrication do not last very long.