Shoutbox

Lock Computer? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Lock Computer? (/showthread.php?tid=60063)

Lock Computer? by Eddie on 06-02-2006 at 11:10 AM

Hello, i have seen my dad lock his computer on Windows XP Home and i thought u could only do it on XP Professional :S Hes not home to tell me how to do it so how do i go about being able to lock my computer? :)

RE: Lock Computer? by Ahmad on 06-02-2006 at 11:12 AM

Do you mean locking it to the login screen? In that case Windows Key + L

Or perhaps a screensaver with a password?

RE: Lock Computer? by Supersonicdarky on 06-02-2006 at 11:13 AM

is this what you want?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security...tips/schnoll1.mspx

RE: Lock Computer? by Felu on 06-02-2006 at 11:14 AM

Do u mean boot logging?
If so, then while your computer is starting up keep on pressing F8. After some time a screen will appear with many options. Scroll down to Enable boot logging(using arror keys) and then press enter. Enter a password and save it.

RE: RE: Lock Computer? by vaccination on 06-02-2006 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
is this what you want?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security...tips/schnoll1.mspx

Thats handy (Y)
RE: Lock Computer? by Eddie on 06-02-2006 at 11:22 AM

Windows key + L only "Switch User" 's my computer :(
Checked the website, was kool :) It was pretty easy to understand :( still doesnt lock my computer, just switch user. I know they basically the same thing just yer :(

RE: Lock Computer? by Nathan on 06-02-2006 at 12:43 PM

Control + Alt + Delete> Lock Computer

RE: Lock Computer? by xJ + on 06-02-2006 at 12:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
key + L only "Switch User" 's my computer
Checked the website, was kool  It was pretty easy to understand  still doesnt lock my computer, just switch user. I know they basically the same thing just yer 

Go to Control panel > User account > home > change the way users log on or off. Unchecked use fast user switching. Apply  options. It will lock the Pc instead of switching users.

RE: Lock Computer? by _Humphreys on 06-02-2006 at 12:49 PM

Control + Alt + Delete = Task Manager. I know on NT and 2000 when you click those three you get an option to lock but where is it on XP?

RE: Lock Computer? by xJ + on 06-02-2006 at 12:54 PM

In my school, whenever one presses ctrl + alt + delete, there'll be six options, from locking to bringing up task manager.
While for home users, most of the users' PCs aren't 'modified', thus pressing ctrl + alt + delete will not work.
In most of the PC, the use fast user switching is probably checked, thus, wheenver one click WIN Key + L, it will switch user instead. Unchecked it and it will be showing locked instead of switching user.

RE: Lock Computer? by _Humphreys on 06-02-2006 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
In my school, whenever one presses ctrl + alt + delete, there'll be six options, from locking to bringing up task manager.

Same here but on Windows XP home it brings you to the task manager by default.
RE: Lock Computer? by Nathan on 06-02-2006 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
key + L only "Switch User" 's my computer
Checked the website, was kool  It was pretty easy to understand  still doesnt lock my computer, just switch user. I know they basically the same thing just yer 

Go to Control panel > User account > home > change the way users log on or off. Unchecked use fast user switching. Apply  options. It will lock the Pc instead of switching users.
This is the only way to do it, Clicking Windows key and L automatically switchs user. But if you had to log off completly but wnated to keep your work becuase you was going away for a couple of miuntues you would lock it. The reason being...
When you have switch user on it allows you to stay logged on and let others do stuff (or if you only have 2 accounts which are both uyours) then no one can get on. Fast user switching is for home only, when a big netowork is set up they allow locking only.

RE: Lock Computer? by YourNeibour on 06-02-2006 at 01:34 PM

Try this:

Click start, run and enter: control userpasswords2

Uncheck the checkbox that says:

"Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" and then click apply

RE: Lock Computer? by Pyroteq on 06-02-2006 at 02:13 PM

If you have a memory/USB stick/pendrive whatever you wish to call it i have a program you can run from that which locks your pc until you put that stick in (Still works even when you restart the computer, ctrl alt del dosnt work etc) You can set a number of hours in which to unlock it (max 99) incase you loose the stick or whatever... I can send it to you if that suits you..

RE: Lock Computer? by Eddie on 06-02-2006 at 02:45 PM

ok thanks all for input and assistance and ideas :)
I have done unclicked fast user switching.
EDIT: Errmmm, doesnt seem to let me lock the computer only log off, oh wells :(

RE: Lock Computer? by rav0 on 06-03-2006 at 11:19 AM

CTRL+ALT+DEL on Windows XP Professional: Security
CTRL+ALT+DEL on Windows XP Home Edition: Task Manager

LOGO+L with Fast User Switching: Switch user
LOGO+L without Fast User Switching: Lock workstation

RE: Lock Computer? by Eddie on 06-03-2006 at 12:52 PM

It works now :) thanks all + rav0 :D

RE: Lock Computer? by Tochjo on 06-03-2006 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
CTRL+ALT+DEL on Windows XP Professional: Security
If you have enabled the welcome screen, this combination will bring up the Task Manager in Windows XP Professional as well.