Shoutbox

Digital camera - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Digital camera (/showthread.php?tid=60079)

Digital camera by Weyzza on 06-02-2006 at 06:41 PM

I need some suggestions for digital cameras.
The camera is likely for my dad.

Some un-technical specs:
1. Must be user-friendly for a simple reason: my dad is not a tech-savvy.
2. Should not look bulky like a brick.
3. Preferably the inexpensive ones, but with good reviews.

We don't need an 8-MP camera with high optical zoom.
I don't know, but can you suggest the megapixels (and the zoom, both digital and optical) we need for a decent picture that we can print out.
I'm really clueless with cameras.

RE: Digital camera by kao on 06-02-2006 at 06:48 PM

The digital camera i have is a Lumix with a Leica lense (no idea what difference that makes but it says it =p), it's only 3.2 MP but the pictures are easily good enough for casual photos. it's easy to use and its small aswell, yes it's old now but its still good, the pictures can be done in up to 1280x960.

RE: Digital camera by Reaper on 06-02-2006 at 06:51 PM

I recently got a Sony Cybershot DSC-T9. Its a really small camera, records videos. It's a 6MP camera

RE: Digital camera by Weyzza on 06-02-2006 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
The digital camera i have is a Lumix with a Leica lense...
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC33
Is that what you have?
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
I recently got a Sony Cybershot DSC-T9. Its a really small camera, records videos. It's a 6MP camera
I think T9 is still quite expensive for me.
RE: Digital camera by Nathan on 06-02-2006 at 07:02 PM

Finepix Z1
Has 5mp 3.0x optical zoom... Greta camera, I have one myself.
Pictures taken with this camera by me
Great camera (y)

RE: Digital camera by kao on 06-02-2006 at 07:07 PM

thekid, It's DMC-LC50

edit: pics can be taken in up to 2048 x 1536, not 1280x960 like i said before =p

RE: Digital camera by t1a0s on 06-02-2006 at 07:11 PM

How much are you willing to spend?
If you have enough, definately get this one :)
I have it and its the best camera I've ever had, superb quality photos aswell.

RE: Digital camera by Nathan on 06-02-2006 at 07:17 PM

Oh yes the Z1 has a big display and very small and light.VERY easy to useslider to protect lense + to turn on (or you can turn on maunually)

RE: Digital camera by Weyzza on 06-02-2006 at 11:23 PM

Uh, kao, my father might think that a little bit... big.
He prefers a sleek one :tongue:

Nathan, I read a review from kao's link about Z1.
It says that the camera is very good for taking pictures in low-light condition (no noisy picture).

If you don't mind, can you take a few pictures in low light condition using your camera?
I just want to see if it really does a good job.
I've been avoiding Fuji products so far, because of bad reviews from some of my friends.

Thanks all.

RE: Digital camera by Steven on 06-02-2006 at 11:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Oh yes the Z1 has a big display and very small and light.VERY easy to useslider to protect lense + to turn on (or you can turn on maunually)
Do you have the z1, i think im getting it for my birthday tommorow, but im stuck between it, and sony cybershot, and the cannon a80

RE: Digital camera by kao on 06-02-2006 at 11:49 PM

big? it's not big o_O

RE: Digital camera by Adeptus on 06-04-2006 at 04:35 AM

Hi,

In general, I am a fan of Canon cameras, followed by Nikon.  I am a believer in the idea that a digital camera should be a camera first, a piece of electronics second -- thus I prefer traditional camera makers over electronics firms who have leaped into that market.

As far as Canon lineup goes, the two product lines you would be intested in (from the sound of it) are the A and SD series.  Each of those has a number of currently offered models.  A-series models of comparable specs (mainly resolution) are generally slightly less expensive and physically bigger than the SD-series pocket-size models. 

The smaller size may mean fewer features and reduced performance (mainly in the areas of geometric distortion of the lens and noise in low light conditions) in some cases, but for the most part, these tradeoffs are very small and for someone wanting a camera they can conveniently carry everywhere they go, I think the Canon SD-series products are awesome.

You can find some digital camera reviews at these sites:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

Hope this helps.  :)

RE: Digital camera by John Anderton on 06-04-2006 at 05:42 AM

My suggestion would be the sony cybershot series. Its great for users who are enthusiastic about taking pics and stuff but arent uber leet at it ... also its good for other users who just want to point-click-take pics (simplicity)

Overall, if you arent a pro, imo the cybershot series is good. Only thing is that it has digital zoom and not optical zoom. Max pic size is also quite big (dont exactly remember how much tho ... google please :))

Its got video and photography modes and lotsa presets/customisable things so its good for users of all levels ... i really like it ;)

RE: Digital camera by Fuzzles on 06-04-2006 at 10:07 AM

I really like canon, tad exspensive though :undecided:

RE: Digital camera by John Anderton on 06-04-2006 at 11:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzles
I really like canon, tad exspensive though :undecided:
True ... but cannon is pretty good too :) Well atleast the ones ive seen with optical zoom (unlike my cybershot :sad:)