Shoutbox

Permanently Change the Systray Icon - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Permanently Change the Systray Icon (/showthread.php?tid=60134)

Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Bleed on 06-03-2006 at 06:38 PM

Hi, I hope I'm not asking a question that's been answered many times before, but I've searched everywhere and just can't find an answer to this simple question :S

Is there a way to permanently change the default systray icon for MSN Messenger 7.5?  I've reshacked all the icons in the .exe, but the systray icon is still the man with the butterfly!  I've very anal about all my icons matching and wanna get this changed.

I know that Plus! changes it with the boss protection mode, but is it just possible to keep it changed all the time?  Any help would be appreciated greatly, thank you!

RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by ShawnZ on 06-03-2006 at 06:45 PM

You probably didn't look well enough then, 'cause its in the resources..

RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Bleed on 06-03-2006 at 06:52 PM

I changed every single icon resource o.O

Is it a PNG or something to that avail? I'm not stupid by far :P, but I can't find which resource it is...Could you point me in the right direction?

RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Zahid™ on 06-03-2006 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bleed
Is it a PNG or something to that avail?
I think they are Bitmaps.
RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Bleed on 06-03-2006 at 07:01 PM

The systray icon?  The one that sits next to the clock? It can't be :3.

RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Zahid™ on 06-03-2006 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.msgstuff.com/skinning/basics/
Bitmaps: Not too many bitmaps either, the system tray images and the scrollbar images are found here.

RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Bleed on 06-03-2006 at 07:27 PM

Doing so that way doesn't allow you to use alpha transparent images, unlike the method Boss Mode does in Plus! >.<

Is there a way to do it like Boss Mode does it?

RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by TheSteve on 06-05-2006 at 02:17 AM

I am guessing Boss mode hooks the Shell_NotifyIcon function and catches the NOTIFYICONDATA structure.  To change the icon you would need to change the hIcon member of that structure and call Shell_NotifyIcon again with the NIM_MODIFY command.

RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Ahmad on 06-05-2006 at 06:58 AM

I'm not exactly sure which bitmap it is, but there's not that many to choose from.

You can make it transparent. Whatever area you want to be transparent, fill it in with that pink colour you see in the bitmaps, that's where the images are transparent. Then save it in the proper format.

RE: RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Matti on 06-05-2006 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bleed
Doing so that way doesn't allow you to use alpha transparent images, unlike the method Boss Mode does in Plus! >.<
That's correct, but there's no other way to do it by reshacking msnmsgr.exe. :(
RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by Goshi on 06-05-2006 at 07:03 PM

Before that was a bitmap with a pink background but now it isn't....and i forgot what it is :p so...

RE: Permanently Change the Systray Icon by absorbation on 06-05-2006 at 07:16 PM

Hum if I remember the resource is the bitmap 77 something. You will see it. Skinning the tray icons is annoying. They are in two parts. When signing in they use an icon, with you use a status they use the bitmaps. If you want they to be tranparent then you will need your background 255.255.255 (a bright pink). Anyway they can be annoying to skin. :P