Shoutbox

FPS Drop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: FPS Drop (/showthread.php?tid=60231)

FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-05-2006 at 11:21 PM

Recently my FPS in CS: Source has dropped quite a bit. I used to get 70-100, now i'm barely getting 30. I have altered in game settings to help bring it up, but it makes no difference. I have the latest graphics drivers. Im starting to think that my graphics card is overheating which is why no matter what I do, the fps will be low.

RE: FPS Drop by Voldemort on 06-05-2006 at 11:42 PM

Hmm... have you tried using a compressed air can on it?
Usually if they get hot its because the little fan gets stuck with dirt, hair, ets..

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-05-2006 at 11:52 PM

I havn't got any compressed air. Other ways I can clean the fan properly?

RE: FPS Drop by Voldemort on 06-05-2006 at 11:57 PM

hm... without risking damage... not many.... you could try with a clean q-tip but be really carful not to leave any cotton behind...

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-06-2006 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
hm... without risking damage... not many.... you could try with a clean q-tip but be really carful not to leave any cotton behind...
Thanks.

If I rule out the graphics card overheating, what else could it be. The card is only 6 months old, and I bought it brand new.
RE: FPS Drop by Voldemort on 06-06-2006 at 12:02 AM

Any program that is a processor whore...

I would rather you not to try the q-tip...
you are risking damage....
It would be better to blow it out...

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-06-2006 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
Any program that is a processor whore...

I would rather you not to try the q-tip...
you are risking damage....
It would be better to blow it out...
Lol ok. Nothing was changed recently for it to happen (hardware and sotware wise). It was just a sudden change
RE: FPS Drop by Voldemort on 06-06-2006 at 12:21 AM

Yeah, i bet it is overheating... If you could get the can it would be really easy and safe...

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-06-2006 at 12:27 AM

OK. Would a vacuum cleaner help? :P

RE: FPS Drop by Voldemort on 06-06-2006 at 12:30 AM

Nah, suction is very weak... you could try anyway... the thinner the hose the better...

RE: FPS Drop by welshboy222 on 06-06-2006 at 05:17 AM

Why don't you use a mini vaccum cleaner?

RE: FPS Drop by kao on 06-06-2006 at 06:21 AM

check for anything whoring your cpu while you have CS open

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-06-2006 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by welshboy222
Why don't you use a mini vaccum cleaner?
Don't have one and I won't buy one

quote:
Originally posted by kao
check for anything whoring your cpu while you have CS open
Nothing usually is. I close the majority of my programs before I play.
RE: FPS Drop by rav0 on 06-06-2006 at 10:45 AM

If you want to clean out dust, you could try a balloon pump. It's not insanely strong, and might be a bit awkward though. Do it outside, so that you don't end up with dust all over your room.

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-06-2006 at 11:12 AM

Yeh, I will try that. Wouldn't my PC just freeze if my graphics card is overheating?

RE: FPS Drop by xJ + on 06-06-2006 at 11:31 AM

I guess your graphic card might be the problem.
Not long ago, I've got the same problem as you are. My graphic card completely screwed up. The worse part is that my PC crashed.
Now, I've it changed. Even when I went to change my graphic card, the PC they used to test crashed after a few testes of my graphic card.
Graphic Card does overheat. What the others said will be useful if your graphic card is OK after cleaning. If it's otherwise, I advice you to change it before the one year warranty.
If I were you, I'll change it ASAP. because changing the graphic card within the one year warranty is free of charge.

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-06-2006 at 02:29 PM

I vacuumed around my graphics card and the FPS has gone up a little bit, but its still not back to how it was.

RE: FPS Drop by UnduTheGun on 06-06-2006 at 02:32 PM

Background processes also affect A LOT to fps, i remember formatting a reinstalling windows XP, then i got 150% fps of what i got before reinstalling.

RE: FPS Drop by tomfletcherman on 06-06-2006 at 10:02 PM

Are you running any new processes to the time before this issue occured? There is a driver check included with steam for source games now I think.

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-06-2006 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
Are you running any new processes to the time before this issue occured? There is a driver check included with steam for source games now I think.
Nope, no new processes. Like I said, my drivers are upto date.
RE: FPS Drop by wj on 06-06-2006 at 11:05 PM

Go buy a can of compressed air. It will help.

I use Compressed Air and my Dyson to clean out the ol' PC case on a regular basis... Speaking of which, I need to do mine tonight as it's been sitting unused for almost 6 months..... Had to boot it back up for HL2 Episode 1

RE: FPS Drop by ShawnZ on 06-06-2006 at 11:51 PM

I actually doubt its your graphics card overheating, because even the newest NVidia cards can be passively cooled. And, dust in the fan isn't going to affect it at all if any. Make sure nothing is whoring CPU before you start the game, and make sure you're using OpenGL or D3D. Also, make sure OpenGL and DirectX are installed and updated.

RE: FPS Drop by Reaper on 06-06-2006 at 11:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
I actually doubt its your graphics card overheating, because even the newest NVidia cards can be passively cooled. And, dust in the fan isn't going to affect it at all if any. Make sure nothing is whoring CPU before you start the game, and make sure you're using OpenGL or D3D. Also, make sure OpenGL and DirectX are installed and updated.
Checked and done all that before. No difference.