Shoutbox

Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? (/showthread.php?tid=60293)

Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by sufcste on 06-07-2006 at 07:25 PM

When MP!L was announced, Patchou asked for Beta testers. It was also said that if anyone not on the approved list was to use the beta, it would 'lock up' and no-one would be able to use it. Why hasn't this happened with the leaked beta? Or has someone bypassed this failsafe? Or am I wrong?!

RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by WDZ on 06-07-2006 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sufcste
Or has someone bypassed this failsafe?
Yes, there is a way to bypass the restriction, and that's why many people are able to use the leaked beta.
RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by absorbation on 06-07-2006 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Yes, there is a way to bypass the restriction, and that's why many people are able to use the leaked beta.

But most users do not know it, and thus more advanced users use the program and know what the term 'beta' means.
RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by Weyzza on 06-07-2006 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
But most users do not know it, and thus more advanced users use the program and know what the term 'beta' means.
But the "more advanced users" usually share the way to bypass the restriction to others :p
And others, who don't even know what beta means, claim they have found bugs, etc. lalalalla

Edited after absorbation's post:
I meant they think they've found bugs and report those on these forums, or worse, they ask for help how to fix the problems with their leaked betas :tongue:
RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by absorbation on 06-07-2006 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
And others, who don't even know what beta means, claim they have found bugs, etc. lalalalla

Don't worry. The build gets blocked from accessing wlm. So they cannot sign in + report bugs. If they find away around it, using the prevention the downside is they still cannot report bugs because of what they had to do to get the build working. ;)
RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by ShawnZ on 06-07-2006 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:
Originally posted by thekid

Don't worry. The build gets blocked from accessing wlm. So they cannot sign in + report bugs. If they find away around it, using the prevention the downside is they still cannot report bugs because of what they had to do to get the build working. ;)

err they can use the bug report tool inside the app?
RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by absorbation on 06-07-2006 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

err they can use the bug report tool inside the app?

But I thought it won't connect to the server and thus fail to send :P
RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by RaceProUK on 06-08-2006 at 04:02 PM

If they use the workaround, it's entirely possible that the bug report tool will be disabled. It depends exactly how the bug report tool sends bug reports.

RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by Patchou on 06-08-2006 at 08:36 PM

yep, they can use the bug report tool in the application... at least, people who got the leaked version can make themselves useful and report problems to me ;) (although I mostly got "my soudns aren't working!" messages).

RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by ShawnZ on 06-08-2006 at 08:41 PM

Patchou: for the next version, if it detects its a leak, instead of removing it from messenger, just pop up 3x more ITS A BETA warnings and tag all bug reports with a "leaked" flag (you could even disable the features that didn't work right in that build or something) :p

RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by Ezra on 06-08-2006 at 09:47 PM

You should keep the bug report thing in, it's always good to have a bug reporting system, but not that they can make a report themselves but let a report be send when it crashes or something. Just like the error reports from ms. Maybe a little dialog so people can add comments.

RE: Why hasn't the leak locked up the beta? by Yetike on 06-08-2006 at 11:13 PM

Wouldn't make much sense - not every problem results in a crash. Think about minor ones - how would you report them if a bug reporter would only appear when your messenger has crashed?

(ok, I have reported a bug to traxor the day before yesterday on the msgplus iRC server, but that's a rare case)