Shoutbox

Paypal - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Paypal (/showthread.php?tid=60332)

Paypal by stoshrocket on 06-08-2006 at 07:43 PM

ok, so i want to set up a paypal account, but im not 16 yet... would i be able to use my bank account that i have atm (i have accounts, but not direct debit or anything obviously) to add to my funding?? in other words, what type of accoutn do you need for it.... just a quick question that could potentially save me a walk to the bank :P

RE: Paypal by Reaper on 06-08-2006 at 07:44 PM

You would need a debit or credit card, but i'm not too sure. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

RE: Paypal by stoshrocket on 06-08-2006 at 07:45 PM

well, i was just thinking how sonicsam did it.... hmmm....

RE: Paypal by M73A on 06-08-2006 at 07:47 PM

paypal site says this:

What information is required to open a personal PayPal account?

To open a personal PayPal account, you must provide your name, address, phone number, and email address. To make payments using PayPal, you must provide a credit card, or bank account information

i'm not sure if that means you can use bank accounts, i presume so.

RE: Paypal by vaccination on 06-08-2006 at 07:54 PM

I think  you only need a crdit/debit card if you are making payments.

If you are receiving payments then you can just use any bank account.

RE: Paypal by stoshrocket on 06-08-2006 at 07:56 PM

hmm... well i wanted to set up an account mainly for making payments (ie, buying stuff and donating to cam for sam finally :P) so i dunno.... hmm...

RE: Paypal by DJKAL on 06-08-2006 at 07:57 PM

where do you live?
in the UK with barclays you can have a debit card (i have one) and can use it at cash machines, to pay at shops, PAYPAL, websites, etc!
i use it.
as it is DEBIT card it means you can only spend what is in the account and not any mor e(though mine has been -£2 ish befoer :S)
credit cards allow you to spend any amount up to an agredd amount (ie: you agree £500 and can spend up to £500 that you dont have in oyur account) and then pay back over time.
if you are in the UK i suggest using barclays, but some other banks offer this service to 14 years olds and barcalys does some under that :O

RE: Paypal by Reaper on 06-08-2006 at 08:02 PM

DJKAL is right, you can get debit cards from 15 onwards in the UK, I have one and im £20 overdrawn :D

RE: Paypal by stoshrocket on 06-08-2006 at 08:05 PM

:O omg... wow... (searches barcalys) thanks for the info!

RE: Paypal by Reaper on 06-08-2006 at 08:08 PM

Not only Barclays, I suggest HSBC, cos they just own.

RE: Paypal by stoshrocket on 06-08-2006 at 08:11 PM

hmm.. ive just been on the barclays web and it says i have to be 16 :( ill check out HSBC

RE: RE: Paypal by Chris4 on 06-08-2006 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
Not only Barclays, I suggest HSBC, cos they just own.

* Chris4 suggests Abbey (Y)

I just have a Flexible Saver for Kids (11-15 year olds). Nice interest (4.25%). You get a cash card, etc.

Unfortunately, can't use it on ebay (well I don't think).
RE: Paypal by stoshrocket on 06-08-2006 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
* Chris4 suggests Abbey (Y)

I just have a Flexible Saver for Kids (11-15 year olds). Nice interest (4.25%). You get a cash card, etc.

Unfortunately, can't use it on ebay (well I don't think).

yerr, ive got an abbey account, but i never use it becuase i use the savers book thingy instead... im gonna go wih HSBC... i can get a debit card from them and just use it that way :d thanks for the info!!
RE: RE: Paypal by JadeRovo on 06-08-2006 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
where do you live?
in the UK with barclays you can have a debit card (i have one) and can use it at cash machines, to pay at shops, PAYPAL, websites, etc!
i use it.
as it is DEBIT card it means you can only spend what is in the account and not any mor e(though mine has been -£2 ish befoer :S)
credit cards allow you to spend any amount up to an agredd amount (ie: you agree £500 and can spend up to £500 that you dont have in oyur account) and then pay back over time.
if you are in the UK i suggest using barclays, but some other banks offer this service to 14 years olds and barcalys does some under that :O

Yeah I have one too. But all i did was Spend Spend Spend.
Ebay must really like me this year ;)
RE: Paypal by DJKAL on 06-08-2006 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JadeRovo
Ebay must really like me this year

same:P well..last year for me!
eBay is addictive :(
RE: Paypal by saralk on 06-08-2006 at 08:56 PM

I go with Halifax, they give out debit cards to 11 year olds.

You can also use your bank account to set-up direct debits.

RE: Paypal by Vazza on 06-08-2006 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
what type of accoutn do you need for it....

Assuming that you mean, what kind of bank account, I believe that it's any type. Personally I have a seperate account set up for Paypal so that it's not tapping into my student account. Then again, all my paypal payments are made either with the money that is in my paypal account i.e. received from buyers, or by my credit card (this is  my primary source)

If I'm not mistaken, you can use a bank account to make payments, but in doing that I think that means that you have to use e-cheques (which is every ebay sellers nightmare because they can take 10 days onwards to clear)

quote:

But remember, that if you only make a minimum payment then you have whatever left plus the interest. The credit card company sets the limit you are allowed, you don't agree it, and then every now and then they increase it but I believe that the links of student accounts are EXEMPT from this (unless you're me (a))

quote:
Originally posted by JadeRovo

Ebay must really like me this year ;)
quote:
eBay is addictive :(

Same here. But then again, that's probably with all my sellers fees. To date this year I've spent 231.00 GBP on ebay alone.....And I doubt my sales so far this year equal that.....something every wrong there....
RE: Paypal by Menfreya on 06-09-2006 at 04:03 PM

I want to use Paypal to donate to a site.

I'm 18. I only have a bank account. Noone in my family has a credit card. And we live in Slovenia.

So, I can't use Paypal. I hope something will change next year when we get Euros. *-)

RE: Paypal by aNILEator on 06-10-2006 at 10:59 AM

i think i just set my age so that i was born in 1985 and everything works lovely :P