Shoutbox

another linux thread - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: another linux thread (/showthread.php?tid=60342)

another linux thread by Supersonicdarky on 06-09-2006 at 12:44 AM

i need a good linux distro for a not so powerfull laptop (tho i only used linux twice and dont know alot, so maybe it doesnt eat resources like windows?)

i tried ubuntu but it doesnt work on my laptop

any help is appreciated

RE: another linux thread by Hank on 06-09-2006 at 12:49 AM

Kubuntu? PClinuxOS  or Suse

RE: another linux thread by Voldemort on 06-09-2006 at 12:57 AM

You could try a live cd :P
Try DSLinux

RE: another linux thread by MX-G on 06-09-2006 at 01:28 AM

make a linux partition whit Partition Magic 8, and install Linux in these partition :)
(Use Ubuntu or Linspire) :D

RE: another linux thread by ShawnZ on 06-09-2006 at 01:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MX-G
make a linux partition whit Partition Magic 8, and install Linux in these partition :)
(Use Ubuntu or Linspire) :D

where did he say he wanted to dual boot?
RE: another linux thread by Voldemort on 06-09-2006 at 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky

quote:
Originally posted by MX-G
(Use Ubuntu

:dodgy:
RE: another linux thread by Stigmata on 06-09-2006 at 06:26 AM

hmmmm go down your local newsagents and pick up a linux magazine. Basically every week they offer a cd with at least 3 linux live versions. and noramlly about 14 you can install :)

have fun

ps:

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

Linux is an operating system for communists and poor people, not trustworthy and secure like Windows. Do you think patchou is a communist?!

RE: another linux thread by RaceProUK on 06-09-2006 at 11:29 AM

I've used Linux on and off for the last four years, and would recommend that, instead of getting a distro direct from the Internet, find a book on something like Ubuntu (which can be encouraged to work on a laptop) or a similar novice-aimed distro. The bonus of having a book is it'll guide you through the installation, configuration, use and maintenance of the distro you choose. If it's a good book, it'll even have a guide to getting it running with a laptop ;)

Edit: I do believe there are books on SuSE :P

RE: another linux thread by Supersonicdarky on 06-09-2006 at 11:31 AM

ok, i'll do that after school, for now i'm downloading suse :)

RE: another linux thread by Kilyn on 06-09-2006 at 04:00 PM

If you've got broadband, I'd suggest Gentoo for low-powered computers. It's a little bit on the techy side, so read the documentation first to see if you're up to it, but it's worth trying out. Emerge makes things easy to install, plus everything gets compiled on that computer, making them run faster* which is especially noticeable on slower computers.

(* Assuming you've got the right USE flags. If you don't know what to put, just ask on the forums, giving as much detail as you can on the laptop. Usually, the brand and model number give *plenty* of information since they can be googled.)

RE: another linux thread by RaceProUK on 06-09-2006 at 04:24 PM

Gentoo is *not* for novices: it requires much more knowledge and effort than most distros. For a Linux first-timer, Ubuntu, SuSE, Fedora, and Mandriva all offer good systems.

RE: another linux thread by Adeptus on 06-09-2006 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kilyn
I'd suggest Gentoo for low-powered computers.
Gentoo on a low-end computer is a double-edged sword: while it does allow creation of an optimized minimal installation, compiling everything takes proportionally longer on a slower machine.  We were never told the specs of what Supersonicdarky describes as "not so powerful", but depending on what that is, a stage 1 Gentoo install could literally take days -- nor would that be the end of it, if he plans to keep his installation up to date.

Gentoo is also not a very good idea for a first time Linux user (he doesn't say that he is one, but I assume so).

Provided it hasn't changed much since last time I used it, I would probably suggest Slackware.  The Slackware installation procedure may not be the simplest out there either, but certainly far easier and much quicker than Gentoo's.
RE: another linux thread by Supersonicdarky on 06-09-2006 at 08:58 PM

specs:
1.6 ghz (AMD Turion64) - bad/ok
512 ram - ok
SiS M760GX - sux
80 GBs - good

name: Acer Aspire 5002

---

suse hasnt finished downloading in over 9 hours [Image: msn_sad.gif] (only 36%)
and yes i am a beginner linux user

i'll try other distros if suse doesnt work/sux

RE: another linux thread by Adeptus on 06-10-2006 at 12:04 AM

Oh, that's the royal treatment.  I was imagining something well under 1GHz, with a fraction of the memory you have.  Performance wise, you can run any distribution on it you want -- that would not be considered a low end machine by any means.

:google: search reveals it works fine with Linux (in fact, it seems to ship with Linux in some parts of the world), although a few "hacks" are required (ndiswrapper for the wireless card).

RE: another linux thread by Supersonicdarky on 06-10-2006 at 12:44 AM

i dont consider my laptop a low-end machine (but i dont think its that good either) if i did i'd say i need linux for a horribly old laptop or sumthing [Image: msn_tongue.gif]

i'll "hack" it later ;)

RE: another linux thread by F4tal_3rror on 06-10-2006 at 02:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
i need a good linux distro for a not so powerfull laptop (tho i only used linux twice and dont know alot, so maybe it doesnt eat resources like windows?)

any help is appreciated

have you tried the latest ubuntu? try dapper (6.06)

what about opensuse?

edit: i only just saw your laptop system stats ..and that isn't bad at all..
i was imagining something along the lines of a pentuim 2 with 128mb of ram.. lol.
but yeah still try those distros.
for hacking, try auditor :-#