Shoutbox

High pitch noise from monitor - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: High pitch noise from monitor (/showthread.php?tid=60349)

High pitch noise from monitor by Eddie on 06-09-2006 at 07:42 AM

Hey, sometimes a very high pitch noise comes from my monitor which drives me insane, would anyone kno what causes this? :)

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Mike on 06-09-2006 at 08:27 AM

My TV sometimes does that.

However, if I hit it, it stops.

Try hitting your monitor... :P

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by NiteMare on 06-09-2006 at 08:30 AM

hmm, does your monitor have built in speakers? is it a tube monitor, or a flat screen LCD?

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Felu on 06-09-2006 at 08:34 AM

One more thing, if your electricity supply has fluctuation(common problem here) this will be the result. You could also damage your monitor. I good quatily UPS is the solution to it.

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by NiteMare on 06-09-2006 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
USP
I beleive you mean a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) right?
RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Eddie on 06-09-2006 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
USP
ok that went straight over my head lol :S
My monitor isnt a flat screen // lcd either, and no it doesnt have built in speakers.
(Tried hitting it :P Didnt Work)
RE: High pitch noise from monitor by NiteMare on 06-09-2006 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
quote:
quote:
USP
ok that went straight over my head lol :S
My monitor isnt a flat screen // lcd either, and no it doesnt have built in speakers.
(Tried hitting it :P Didnt Work)

well a UPS is like a battery that you hook your computer up to, so if the power flickers or goes off, the battery takes over without affecting your computer, its only temporary, but once the power comes back on, the bettery gets recharged automaticaly, quite usefull, i'm thinking about getting one soon

as for your monitor, so it a tube monitor (normal kind), with no speakers hmm

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Felu on 06-09-2006 at 08:47 AM

quote:
quote:
USP
Typo.
:$ edited.
RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Eddie on 06-09-2006 at 08:51 AM

By the way this only happens occasionally it doesnt happen 24/7, might it be screen resolution, or possibly a seriously crappy monitor, i am buying a new one soon but im not sure when. :(

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by NiteMare on 06-09-2006 at 09:04 AM

hmmm, have you tryed adjusting your refreash rate?

Start > Control panel > Display settings > Settings > Advanced > Monitor

try changing the "screen refreash rate" but make sure you have a check mark in the "hide modes that this monitor cannot display"
or you may select a rate that will make your screen go blank:P

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Eddie on 06-09-2006 at 10:49 AM

Thanks, next time it makes the annoying noise i will test it :) thank you.

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by rav0 on 06-09-2006 at 10:53 AM

Is it a soft sound, by which of course I mean, not really loud that you cand hear anybody else, but still definately audible? My TV does that. It's an older 40 cm CRT not flat screen.

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by CookieRevised on 06-09-2006 at 06:47 PM

quote:
Hey, sometimes a very high pitch noise comes from my monitor which drives me insane, would anyone kno what causes this? :)

2 reasons:

1) The frequency of your monitor is not set correctly. But then again, the high pitch noise would constantly be heared and not sporadicly.

2) Your monitor is dying. Note that this "dying" can still take a very long time: eg: years. Though you will hear the high pitch noise more and more frequently. (this goes for a TV too btw).

--------------------------

quote:
hmm, does your monitor have built in speakers?
Doesn' have anything todo with speakers

quote:
is it a tube monitor, or a flat screen LCD?
Such high pitch noise can only come from CRT's

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
My TV sometimes does that.
However, if I hit it, it stops.
Try hitting your monitor... :P
If you hit it and it stopped, you're lucky (this can indicate a loose contact inside the TV/Moni, but is again rare). In many cases the noise doesn't stop or even gets louder.

quote:
One more thing, if your electricity supply has fluctuation(common problem here) this will be the result. You could also damage your monitor. I good quatily UPS is the solution to it.
Though power fluctuation can be common (in some places), it isn't the direct reason for the high pitch noise.

The direct reasons are still the same:
1) not the proper frequency (which, on its turn, can be the indirect cause of the power fluctutation of course)
2) The monitor is dying (which, on its turn, can be the indirect cause of that same power fluctutation as it would have damaged the power unit of the monitor which on its turn can't deliver the exact constant power anymore to the electronics which regulate the frequency which on its turns... etc)

Though, high pitch noises caused indirectly by power fluctuations are rare; in almost all cases it is caused by the two things describe above (wrong settings, moni has had his time (almost)).
RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Stigmata on 06-09-2006 at 06:56 PM

same happens with my pc...

it gets higher pitched when firefox is opened as well

RE: RE: High pitch noise from monitor by CookieRevised on 06-09-2006 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata

A PC doesn't make high pitch noises (at least it shouldn't unless there is something terribly wrong :p); it doesn't contain the electronics (like a moni) which can be responsible for such noises afaik. What can be causing the noise are rotating parts though. eg: bearings of fans, HDD motors..)

------------

EDIT: hmmm, now that I think about it (and remember my old PC's): unless you mean another kind of noise which is only heared when things on your screen change. This kind of high pitch noise is also heared when you move your mouse for example; thus when graphics on your screen change. But actually this is again either your monitor (though it isn't such a 'bad' sign as the high pitch noise described by DevilX) or it are the speakers which 'leak' this noise... as both recieve a radio wavelength distortion of some kind and this reflects to the inner electronics again.

Note: this is the same distortion you hear on loudspeakers when a near mobile phone searches for a network connection or recieves a message.
(mostlly noticeable on car radios)
=> this is also one of the reasons why you should completely turn off your mobile phones in theaters, movie theaters, etc. Simply putting them on 'silence mode' is not enough; they still can disrupt the sound heared on the speakers and thus heared by the whole audiance in the room!!!!!.
RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Voldemort on 06-09-2006 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
    quote:Originally posted by NiteMare
    hmm, does your monitor have built in speakers?

Doesn' have anything todo with speakers

Something that could happen was that the monitor has built in mic, the speakers are too loud and too close and it makes a high pitched noise :P
not likely the problem, but could be...
I bet youve heard that sound when a mic gets too close to a speaker :P

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Chrono on 06-09-2006 at 10:47 PM

quote:
2) Your monitor is dying.
Bingo
quote:
Note that this "dying" can still take a very long time: eg: years.
Mine has been doing it for more than a year by now :cheesy:

* Chrono should buy a new one :P
RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Eddie on 06-10-2006 at 02:16 AM

hehe well my monitor is only 2 yrs and 6 months old now :P But i lowered screen refresh rate whilst it was doing the annoying noise and it stopped so it seemed to of worked for now, im looking to buy a new monitor ASAP though cuz mine is majorly old style :P
Thanks all for help it is appreciated :)

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by ShawnZ on 06-10-2006 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata

If i understand correctly it gets louder if the colours on the screen are brighter or whiter, and opening firefox makes a big white box, so :p
RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Eddie on 06-10-2006 at 03:03 AM

Yer it happened when i had programs with lots of pixels like if you have heard of Habbo Hotel?? (Pixels (LOTS) ) :P Firefox also did it but not very often ;)

RE: High pitch noise from monitor by ShawnZ on 06-10-2006 at 03:06 AM

quote:
Yer it happened when i had programs with lots of pixels like if you have heard of Habbo Hotel?? (Pixels (LOTS) ) :P Firefox also did it but not very often ;)

uhh there is always the same number of pixels on a screen...?
RE: High pitch noise from monitor by Eddie on 06-10-2006 at 05:19 AM

Yer after i made that post i realised that :$ Sorry bout that :( bt yer thanks for help. :)