Shoutbox

installing multiple OS - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: installing multiple OS (/showthread.php?tid=60366)

installing multiple OS by stoshrocket on 06-09-2006 at 04:41 PM

would it be possible to be able to install multiple operating systems onto one hard drive? ie, using one partition for vista, one for XP and maybe one for linux?? if so... has anyone got a link to a good website that has some info about this i can read up on?? (i just want to read up on it, not actually do it yet, i want to be confident that i can do it and do some standard troubleshooting before i even attempt it)

RE: installing multiple OS by RaceProUK on 06-09-2006 at 04:44 PM

Hell yeah! It's really quite easy, especially if you install the OSes in this order: XP, Vista, Linux. When installing the Linux bootloader, select GRUB, and it should auto-configure.

Edit: Also, :google: :P. There'll be thousands of hits, and most if not all the top 10 will be good.

RE: installing multiple OS by stoshrocket on 06-09-2006 at 04:48 PM

i tried googling it... lol, the first ten seemed crap to me so i thought id see if anyone has a link to a page with some decent info... :P i'll go search harder :cheesy:

EDIT: if anyone wants to know, i want to have Windows XP, then vista, then preferably Ubuntu...

btw, will i be able to share files between the different OS's?? *-)

RE: installing multiple OS by ins4ne on 06-09-2006 at 04:48 PM

insert cd into your drive, boot from it... XP will ask you to: 1. create new partition 2. install into previous partition 3. other operations like formating and other stuff...linux and vista... dont know about them...

RE: installing multiple OS by stoshrocket on 06-09-2006 at 04:50 PM

well, i have XP already installed... im not too sure about the other OS' though, im downloading the ISO's as we speak... but im not too sure how im gonna install them :P

RE: installing multiple OS by ins4ne on 06-09-2006 at 04:54 PM

ISOS? burn them on cd with nero, install like i said. create new partition and install. use a partition manager, maybe you'll find one in google... i'll search a bit

EDIT: maybe this one can help you...

RE: installing multiple OS by stoshrocket on 06-09-2006 at 05:05 PM

ooo... nice... it even links to a nice tutorial as well :cheesy: thankies.... hmm... so does anyone know if can share files somehow between the operating systems??

RE: installing multiple OS by ins4ne on 06-09-2006 at 05:06 PM

burn them on cd :P

RE: installing multiple OS by stoshrocket on 06-09-2006 at 05:13 PM

isnt there a way to share files between OS's keeping them on the HD??? i don't fancy burning every single file i want to share onto a CD...

RE: installing multiple OS by Jhrono on 06-09-2006 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2

ooo... nice... it even links to a nice tutorial as well  thankies.... hmm... so does anyone know if can share files somehow between the operating systems??
Well, in Vista you will only be able to see the Windows and Vista partition and in Linux you'll only be able to see the Windows and Vista partitions if they're in NTFS. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
RE: installing multiple OS by Mike on 06-09-2006 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
and in Linux you'll only be able to see the Windows and Vista partitions if they're in NTFS.
I think in Ubuntu you can't see NTFS partions by default (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
RE: installing multiple OS by stoshrocket on 06-09-2006 at 06:19 PM

hmm... what if i create a partition just for file storage?? so then i could keep my universal important files there and seperate the specific OS files accordingly... would that work?

RE: installing multiple OS by ins4ne on 06-09-2006 at 06:25 PM

yeah... create partition: eg."Important files", copy everything you want to that partition and you will be able to browse this partition and files in your other OS

EDIT: its what i did to save all the installers of my apps i need when i have to do a format c:, i always have my needed apps on my hdd and dont need to redownload them

RE: installing multiple OS by RaceProUK on 06-09-2006 at 07:48 PM

quote:
isnt there a way to share files between OS's keeping them on the HD?
Yes: create a FAT32 partition. That should be readable by all OSes.
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Well, in Vista you will only be able to see the Windows and Vista partition and in Linux you'll only be able to see the Windows and Vista partitions if they're in NTFS. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Windows will see Linux partitions, but not be able to read them: it won't recognise the filesystem used. However, Linux will get read-write access to FAT32, and read-only to NTFS, as it understands them. Linux can also support write on NTFS, but it's not recommended: the drivers haven't matured yet.
RE: installing multiple OS by stoshrocket on 06-09-2006 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Yes: create a FAT32 partition. That should be readable by all OSes.

thankies! ok, i think i have all the info i need now, im gonna go and buy some dvds and try this out... thanks for all the input!
RE: RE: installing multiple OS by F4tal_3rror on 06-10-2006 at 02:51 AM

quote:
btw, will i be able to share files between the different OS's?? *-)

yes...even on linux providing the OS you are using will do NTFS writing (assuming you are using NTFS, not FAT32)
from memory, ubuntu doesn't do ntfs writing...correct me if i'm wrong..

edit: or yes, you could use fat32..
RE: installing multiple OS by aNILEator on 06-10-2006 at 11:02 AM

i thought you couldn't create a partition without loosing all your data if you already had one because i'd like to install mac osx and ubuntu on my pc

but yeah its possible to create another partition and not loose any of my current data?????

RE: installing multiple OS by RaceProUK on 06-10-2006 at 12:54 PM

There are some programs that can resize partitions without destroying data. Partition Magic is one such program, but I'm not sure if it's free. You could also look at gparted, which is available on a Live CD.