Shoutbox

How do they develop plus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: How do they develop plus? (/showthread.php?tid=60378)

How do they develop plus? by morgue on 06-10-2006 at 07:43 AM

Is it using the Windows API?

RE: How do they develop plus? by CookieRevised on 06-10-2006 at 08:21 AM

Messenger Plus! is programmed in Visual Studio 7.1 2005 and is developped entirely in C++ and some small bits of assembler.

It uses many Windows APIs. In fact if there where no Windows APIs, Plus! wouldn't be possible (just as extremely many other applications wouldn't be possible).

This is also the reason why there will be no Plus! for other operation systems. Eg: On the Mac there are no APIs, and therefore a program like Plus!, programmed like Plus!, isn't possible on that. Same with Linux, etc... On other operating systems a program like Plus! must be programmed in an entirly different way (if at all possible).

It also uses MSN Messenger APIs of course. And again, without the MSN Messenger APIs it would be almost impossible todo what Patchou has done. Thus, no Plus! for the Mac version of MSN Messenger as that version doesn't have APIs....

It would be to much to list all the used Windows API's though, there are way too many.

If you want to find out more on Windows API's, I'd suggest to take a look at the MSDN library.

RE: How do they develop plus? by morgue on 06-10-2006 at 11:34 PM

So what Patchou has done with Plus can be done with any application for Windows?

RE: How do they develop plus? by RaceProUK on 06-10-2006 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by morgue
So what Patchou has done with Plus can be done with any application for Windows?
Theoretically, but not always practically.
RE: How do they develop plus? by morgue on 06-10-2006 at 11:57 PM

Iis there an specific API for Messenger or is it the same Win32 API?

RE: How do they develop plus? by CookieRevised on 06-11-2006 at 12:19 AM

Messenger has also his own additional APIs (it uses a lot of Windows APIs also of course; just as every other program does). To be more precise, it is Windows Messenger which provides the APIs used by some functions of MSN Messenger.

Many programs have their own APIs. The Win32 APIs are part of Windows in general, each program might come with its own additional APIs.

------------

PS: thanks Patchou for correcting my previous post ;) I should've known VS7.1 was old and you use VS2005 now :p

RE: RE: How do they develop plus? by morgue on 06-11-2006 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Messenger has also his own additional APIs (it uses a lot of Windows APIs also of course; just as every other program does). To be more precise, it is Windows Messenger which provides the APIs used by some functions of MSN Messenger.

Many programs have their own APIs. The Win32 APIs are part of Windows in general, each program might come with its own additional APIs.

------------

PS: thanks Patchou for correcting my previous post ;) I should've known VS7.1 was old and you use VS2005 now :p

So is it safe to say that Messenger APIs have nothing to do with Win32 APIs?, can one download Messenger APIs, if so, link me plz :)