Shoutbox

- Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: (/showthread.php?tid=60491)

by somelauw on 06-12-2006 at 06:58 PM

IE7 BETA has been released. DÛH!

Maybe a stupid question but I can't figure out which version should I download if I have window XP home edition without service pack?
Or should I use firefox? People say it's better, but why?

by GiantSpider on 06-12-2006 at 07:01 PM

IE7 Isn't yet compatible with certain things, such as some Anti-Virus updaters, you should check before using it. And you can use Firefox aswell as whichever version of Internet Explorer you have installed. I'm sure alot of people here use Firefox.

by Chris4 on 06-12-2006 at 07:02 PM

Internet Explorer 7 Beta still has bugs.

In my opinion, I prefer Firefox (Y). I think you'll like it.

by GiantSpider on 06-12-2006 at 07:04 PM

Firefox still has bugs, it is still in theory a preview of Mozilla's next generation browser.

by Tochjo on 06-12-2006 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by somelauw
which version should I download if I have window XP home edition without service pack?
To my knowledge only a version for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 exists, no versions for Windows XP with no service packs.
by GiantSpider on 06-12-2006 at 07:23 PM

Microsoft no longer supports Xp without at least Service Pack 1.

by matty on 06-12-2006 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
which version should I download if I have window XP home edition without service pack?
To my knowledge only a version for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 exists, no versions for Windows XP with no service packs.
Yes there was a version of XP without a service pack. It was for instance the corporate license where the cd key started with FCKGW it didn't have SP1 on it and you couldn't install it either lol.
by Tochjo on 06-12-2006 at 07:49 PM

What I was trying to say is that no version of Internet Explorer 7 exists that will work on a Windows XP version that has no Service Pack installed.

Of course Microsoft did not ship their first version of Windows XP with the label "Service Pack" :P

by somelauw on 06-12-2006 at 07:55 PM

Thanks people for replying. So it's impossible for me to install IE7 bèta.
About firefox, it sounds good reading the website and people here are enthousiastic too.

quote:
Yes there was a version of XP without a service pack. It was for instance the corporate license where the cd key started with FCKGW it didn't have SP1 on it and you couldn't install it either lol.

Edit: When typing this edit I am using firefox
by GiantSpider on 06-12-2006 at 08:50 PM

quote:
So it's impossible for me to install IE7 bèta.
No, just install Service Pack 1 (And 2).
by Reload2 on 06-12-2006 at 09:39 PM

Install SP2, it doesn't work on only SP1

by GiantSpider on 06-12-2006 at 09:41 PM

I think it's advisable to have both.

by rav0 on 06-13-2006 at 10:35 AM

I like Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 a lot. I'd definately use it over Firefox, Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1 and Internet Explorer 6.

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
quote:
So it's impossible for me to install IE7 bèta.
No, just install Service Pack 1 (And 2).

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
I think it's advisable to have both.

Just install Service Pack 2. There's no need or benefit to install Service Pack 1 before installing Service Pack 2.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 can be downloaded, or can be applied through Windows Update or Microsoft Update.