Shoutbox

Sore as all heck - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Sore as all heck (/showthread.php?tid=60525)

Sore as all heck by wj on 06-13-2006 at 04:34 PM

Ok, So I joined a Kickball team this weekend and we had practice Sunday afternoon. I havent done that much running and throwing for a while. Now I'm sore as all hell (still). What do you do to beat the aches from a hard workout when you havent done it in a while?

RE: Sore as all heck by ins4ne on 06-13-2006 at 04:37 PM

relax in whirlpool or take a hot eucalyptus bath

RE: Sore as all heck by Sunshine on 06-13-2006 at 04:38 PM

Stretching ;)

Also something that helps prevent muscle aches is orangejuice (drink that after work out). A hot shower in the morning helps you to get going when muscles ache too much (also against stiffness).

Important notes for Stretching:

Warm up first.
Stretching muscles when they're cold increases your risk of pulled muscles. Warm up by walking while gently pumping your arms, or do a favorite exercise at low intensity for five minutes.

Hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds.
It takes time to lengthen tissues safely. Hold your stretches for at least 30 seconds — and up to 60 seconds for a really tight muscle or problem area. That can seem like a long time, so wear a watch or keep an eye on the clock to make sure you're holding your stretches long enough. For most of your muscle groups, if you hold the stretches for at least 30 seconds, you'll need to do each stretch only once.

Don't bounce.
Bouncing as you stretch can cause small tears (microtears) in the muscle, which leave scar tissue as the muscle heals. The scar tissue tightens the muscle even further, making you even less flexible — and more prone to pain.

Focus on a pain-free stretch.
If you feel pain as you stretch, you've gone too far. Back off to the point where you don't feel any pain, then hold the stretch.

Relax and breathe freely.
Don't hold your breath while you're stretching.

Stretch both sides.
Make sure your joint range of motion is as equal as possible on each side of your body.

Stretch before and after.
Light stretching after your warm-up followed by a more thorough stretching regimen after your workout is your best bet.
In addition to stretching major muscle groups, stretch muscles and joints that you routinely use at work or play. Sport-specific stretching prepares your muscles for a particular sport or activity. For example, if you frequently play tennis or golf, working in a few extra shoulder stretches loosens the muscles around your shoulder joint, making it feel less tight and more ready for action.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/HQ01447

RE: Sore as all heck by NiteMare on 06-13-2006 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hardc0re
agreed, heat helps
RE: Sore as all heck by ins4ne on 06-13-2006 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
Originally posted by hardc0re
agreed, heat helps
yep i always did after football training to unbend the muscles
RE: Sore as all heck by Plik on 06-13-2006 at 05:36 PM

Look up DOMS* and how to ease it, because i've forgotten when i've learnt about it :p

* Delayed Onset of Muscular Soreness
Its basically where you over excersise and slightly tear your muscles

RE: Sore as all heck by Voldemort on 06-13-2006 at 05:59 PM

Spray some voltaren over :P

RE: Sore as all heck by qgroessl on 06-13-2006 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Plik
* Delayed Onset of Muscular Soreness
Its basically where you over excersise and slightly tear your muscles
:p a lot of excersies slightly tear muscles really.... A lot of long distance running can do that, as well as short sprints. I know pitching in baseball does this a lot!...

Really, what it is, is that when you do an excersise that will do this like pitching. You get little papercut-like cuts/tears in your muscles. They'll scab over and heal like any other cut. But what helps it recover faster is ice, and light jogging (crazy as it sounds). Jog after the workout about 1/2-1 mile... then ice... then the next morning do some jump rope and jogging. Depending on which muscles you're working most on you can do other excersizes that'll just get blood pumping through your body. Then immediately after your workout, ice again.
RE: Sore as all heck by Stigmata on 06-13-2006 at 07:57 PM

whats kickball?

RE: Sore as all heck by ins4ne on 06-13-2006 at 07:59 PM

something like baseball but without bats. isnt it?

EDIT: Kickball

RE: Sore as all heck by wj on 06-13-2006 at 08:41 PM

It's a game commonly played in Elementary school, It's alot eaiser then baseball in some respects but a heck of a lot more fun if you ask me.

http://www.underdogportland.com/kickball/

RE: Sore as all heck by Stigmata on 06-13-2006 at 08:53 PM

ohhh

like on recess ?

RE: Sore as all heck by GiantSpider on 06-13-2006 at 09:04 PM

Football rounders?

RE: Sore as all heck by wj on 06-13-2006 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
ohhh

like on recess ?

Exactly, Just for adults with Beer afterwards.
RE: Sore as all heck by albert on 06-14-2006 at 12:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
ohhh

like on recess ?

Exactly, Just for adults with Beer afterwards.

:lol: I was wondering why you guys would play :P
RE: Sore as all heck by kierant on 06-14-2006 at 01:03 AM

There's a deleted scene on the Napoleon Dynamtie DVD of him playin kickball. Quite amusing, could have been left in the film!

RE: Sore as all heck by Hank on 06-14-2006 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Ok, So I joined a Kickball team this weekend and we had practice Sunday afternoon. I havent done that much running and throwing for a while. Now I'm sore as all hell (still). What do you do to beat the aches from a hard workout when you havent done it in a while?

get a topless 21 year old Blonde to massage ya