Shoutbox

Domain name - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Domain name (/showthread.php?tid=60557)

Domain name by welshboy222 on 06-14-2006 at 03:36 PM

Hiya guys I have just made a forum on forumforfree.com and I seen this forum that was made by the same site click here and they have changed their domain name. If anyone knows about forumforfree.com plz tell me how to change the domain name thanks!

RE: Domain name by DJKAL on 06-14-2006 at 04:53 PM

you will need to buy a domain, and find out if they are hosting it on forumforfree.com's servers
or if the forum is on their own servers.
this can be done easily - and i recommend doing if you are having your own website linking to it

use MyBB and install that too a server (many have MySQL and PHP, but you may need to ask your host as these will be needed) it is one of the very best forum systems and when you host it yourself you can often ave your domain name hosted - also ask your host if they will do it

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by that forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

that forum is not using forumforfree.com - it uses phpBB instead. i recommened MyBB - its the best on ecurrently avaliable
RE: Domain name by Menthix on 06-14-2006 at 04:56 PM

forumforfree.com IS phpBB, they just use their .tk address to stealth redirect it to forumforfree.

RE: Domain name by absorbation on 06-14-2006 at 05:00 PM

It looks like a subdomain anyway. Maybe you should post on their forums about it, I don't know much about this really :P.

RE: Domain name by welshboy222 on 06-14-2006 at 05:02 PM

ok thanks guys!

RE: Domain name by DJKAL on 06-14-2006 at 05:08 PM

offtopic a little but - the forum has no forums?! it had loads earlier?!:S
edit: now their back - forum seems unstable ...

anyways -
thanks for that info menthix - i didnt know (thought they would have their own forum system)

RE: Domain name by welshboy222 on 06-14-2006 at 06:45 PM

Im still confused though what is this about forumforfree.com being .tk?

RE: Domain name by DJKAL on 06-14-2006 at 06:48 PM

im not sure -
but all being said, if your adding the forum to another website - i'd recommend hosting the forum yourself on your own server - it will make life much easier and less likely to cause problems if a site (such as forumforfree.com) goes down due to whatever reason - you wont have a forum then. if you host it yourself you will have your own domain name (if you buy one) and have more control over it

RE: Domain name by welshboy222 on 06-14-2006 at 06:54 PM

according to the site they have two servers so if one shuts down the other one will keep running and also know any cheap .co.uk domain websites?

RE: Domain name by DJKAL on 06-14-2006 at 07:07 PM

yes but - at one point they may shuit the whole thing down - ie: no more forumforfree.com :wave: thus you lose your forum - members - everything else - and can do NOTHING about it.
£5.88 (inc. tax/vat etc) for 2 years. .co.uk - telivo.com ;)
if that offer is still on

Domain names? by welshboy222 on 06-16-2006 at 05:31 PM

I have found this website called Lunarpages and I wondered if you thought it was good to have my site on or not? It sounds good.

RE: Domain names? by absorbation on 06-16-2006 at 05:44 PM

$6.50 a month is not so great. I suggest dreamhost or one of our lovly forum members who offer hosting :). As for domains, forum member dempsey is a great place to get them from ;).

RE: Domain names? by stoshrocket on 06-16-2006 at 05:58 PM

actually, lunar are some of the best hosts around tbh... the price might not be amazing, but whats dreamhost?? $9.95 a month?? plus, lunar are rated pretty damn high in the hosting chart... they are very stable and a very good host... be then again, dreamhost is awesome if someone gives you a referal and a discount ;) (something someone might want to offer me maybe? (a))

EDIT: plus, do take into account what abbeh said about hosting and domains, dempsey offers great domains, and quite a few forum members will be more than willing to give you some hosting im sure....

RE: Domain names? by welshboy222 on 06-16-2006 at 06:03 PM

whats the website for this dempsey?

RE: Domain names? by Rik on 06-16-2006 at 06:19 PM

http://www.weirdfish.net/

RE: Domain names? by welshboy222 on 06-16-2006 at 08:58 PM

One more question for tonight how much website would 200mb hold and 500mb as in pages like thanks!

RE: Domain names? by stoshrocket on 06-16-2006 at 09:05 PM

well... i host two rather large sites (my personal one, and one for my GW guild) on trax's server he's given me for free, and that's only a 50mb quota... so loads =p

RE: Domain names? by welshboy222 on 06-16-2006 at 09:08 PM

and how many pages have u got like?

RE: Domain names? by ShawnZ on 06-16-2006 at 09:20 PM

space isn't measured in pages, its measured in letters.

RE: Domain names? by Chestah on 06-16-2006 at 11:12 PM

Code up a part of your website on your computer now and have a look at its file size - you'll then get an idea of how much you'll beable to store. 500MB is plenty for just webpages - same with 200MB really.