Shoutbox

Sound stops working - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Sound stops working (/showthread.php?tid=60688)

Sound stops working by Chris4 on 06-18-2006 at 09:44 PM

For some reason, my computer's sound stops working after a certain amount of time (say about 6+ hours uptime?). It's nothing to do with the speakers or anything, I tried plugging in headphones and they don't work either.

So for some reason it just does that, and to resolve it, I restart and it works fine.

Anyone have any idea why it's doing this?

RE: Sound stops working by Joa on 06-18-2006 at 09:59 PM

do you have the newest drivers for your sound card?

and does this happen completely randomly? or when you run specific applications..?

RE: Sound stops working by qgroessl on 06-18-2006 at 11:26 PM

Is it your own computer, or are other people using it too... Because it could be somebody messing with the sound settings and you not knowing about it.

RE: Sound stops working by Chris4 on 06-18-2006 at 11:28 PM

I don't know about the drivers..

How do I find out what sound card I have?

And it happens everytime...

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
Is it your own computer, or are other people using it too... Because it could be somebody messing with the sound settings and you not knowing about it.
It's actually my dads computer, which my dad, sister and myself uses. But I highly doubt they are messing around with it, although I noticed Realtek Sound Manager has been deleted from the start menu, so maybe I should reinstall that. Don't know how though 8-)
RE: Sound stops working by MX-G on 06-19-2006 at 01:34 AM

your pc included a cd?, if it's the cd contain the driver for the sound card :)

RE: Sound stops working by Hank on 06-19-2006 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4

I don't know about the drivers..

How do I find out what sound card I have?
go into Control panel > System > hardware > Device Manager > an in the Sound & Video area click on the + an it'll tell you there, or should tell you what Make?model card you have
RE: Sound stops working by Mike on 06-19-2006 at 06:02 AM

He probably has an Realtek AC 97 soundcard since he made mention of Realtek Sound Manager...
That the onboard sound card I usually see on motherboards...

Also, when this happens, try disabling and re-enabling your sound card from device manager...

RE: Sound stops working by Chris4 on 06-19-2006 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MX-G
your pc included a cd?, if it's the cd contain the driver for the sound card :)
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
He probably has an Realtek AC 97 soundcard since he made mention of Realtek Sound Manager...
That the onboard sound card I usually see on motherboards...
It is indeed a Reaktec AC 97, I found the CD and I'm re-installing the drivers now.
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

Also, when this happens, try disabling and re-enabling your sound card from device manager...
Thanks I'll try that.
RE: Sound stops working by YourNeibour on 06-19-2006 at 07:29 PM

I had this exact issue turned out the hard drive was crashing.  so do a backup just in case.