Shoutbox

i can't see any display pictures - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: i can't see any display pictures (/showthread.php?tid=60711)

i can't see any display pictures by babygirl001 on 06-19-2006 at 03:46 PM

I logged on to msn one day, and for some reason, i can't see anyone's display picture but my own...they just have the msn dude by their names...anyone know how i can get it so that i can see everyone's display pictures again? i've tried changing settings and stuff and nothing will work

RE: i can't see any display pictures by MX-G on 06-19-2006 at 03:48 PM

reinstall msn again

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Felu on 06-19-2006 at 03:48 PM

Maybe they are just tring fooling you. Maybe they havent set a Display Picture.

RE: i can't see any display pictures by babygirl001 on 06-19-2006 at 03:50 PM

i've reinstalled msn like 3 times, and i'm pretty sure that everyone on my list isn't trying to fool me....

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Felu on 06-19-2006 at 03:52 PM

Err.... Maybe trying viewing their contact cards could get the pictures back. Not sure but this is one of the ways out.

RE: i can't see any display pictures by babygirl001 on 06-19-2006 at 03:54 PM

i've done that too...it's driving me crazy 'cuz i've tried everything and nothing will work

RE: i can't see any display pictures by absorbation on 06-19-2006 at 04:01 PM

Do you have the feature turned off :^)? Go to options and check ;).

[Image: attachment.php?pid=668092]

RE: RE: i can't see any display pictures by babygirl001 on 06-19-2006 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
(u will lose all dp's and ce's).

stupid question..what are dp's and ce's?

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Felu on 06-19-2006 at 04:05 PM

dp's are Display pictures and ce's are custom emoticon.

Absorbation's post is the reply to this problem.

RE: i can't see any display pictures by babygirl001 on 06-19-2006 at 04:12 PM

ok so i did what you said, and restarted msn and it's still not showing them, and the setting is on for seeing them...i'm so frustrated :(  i'm ready to give up lol...i don't know what i did, if i did anything to make it so i can't see them....i hate staring at the little green dude lol

RE: i can't see any display pictures by haydos on 06-19-2006 at 04:51 PM

Alright what Absorbation posted isn't going to help you as that refers to your display pic, not your contacts'.

Try clearing all display pics from their file location and restarting Messenger, hopefully this will cause Messenger to re-download all of your contacts' display pics to your computer.

You can do this by clicking on "Run" in your Start Menu, and enter "%temp%" (without the quotes) and press enter. There should be a whole pile of files and folders. Open the folder named "MessengerCache" and delete all files inside. Then restart messenger and hope for the best...

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Felu on 06-19-2006 at 05:19 PM

Go to Tools>Options and see if this is checked or not. [Image: attachment.php?pid=668132]

RE: RE: i can't see any display pictures by babygirl001 on 06-19-2006 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by haydn

You can do this by clicking on "Run" in your Start Menu, and enter "%temp%" (without the quotes) and press enter. There should be a whole pile of files and folders. Open the folder named "MessengerCache" and delete all files inside. Then restart messenger and hope for the best...

i did this, but there's no folder that says messenger cache...would it be under a different name?
RE: i can't see any display pictures by babygirl001 on 06-19-2006 at 07:53 PM

hopefully this helps...it's the best i could do

RE: i can't see any display pictures by haydos on 06-19-2006 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by babygirl001
i did this, but there's no folder that says messenger cache...would it be under a different name?
Definitely a possibility, as I'm using a different version of Messenger to you... Hopefully somebody on the forums using your version can direct you to the correct folder
RE: i can't see any display pictures by CookieRevised on 06-19-2006 at 11:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by babygirl001
I logged on to msn one day, and for some reason, i can't see anyone's display picture but my own...they just have the msn dude by their names...anyone know how i can get it so that i can see everyone's display pictures again? i've tried changing settings and stuff and nothing will work
Underlined part states what the exact problem is and what she exactly means.... She doesn't see the small avatars anymore in the contactlist, instead she sees the standard status icons.

Also see her provided screenshot.

---------------------------------------------

So....

babygirl001, no need for reinstalling, deleting folders or whatever, just select the proper menu item in the contactlist:

Contacts > View Display Picture > Small

---------------------------------------------

PS: this thread is posted in the wrong subforum. Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger are not the same program.

This subforum is for Messenger Plus! problems. Messenger problems should go to the subforum: "MSN/Windows Messenger"

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Mentality on 06-20-2006 at 12:19 AM

Wow - Hadn't notcied they took this out of WLM until now!

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Khanzada on 06-20-2006 at 12:34 AM

Hay, I just registered to say that Im having the same problem from like the last week or so.. I can't see any custom emoticons or anyone's display pic (I have tried reinstalling and I have tried switching back to 7.5 and am now on Messenger Live full version, but still have the same problem)

another thing.. everytime I sign back into WLM, I go back to the flower display pic, rather than the one I had set last time I was signed in. (it happens each time I sign out)

and I tried to do that trick with clearing the MessengerCache folder, but no luck. also I have all the stuff enabled (ie. permission to view display pictures etc.)

any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Mentality on 06-20-2006 at 12:50 AM

Go to your security settings in WLM and untick....

[Image: attachment.php?pid=668442]

....The middle one

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Khanzada on 06-20-2006 at 01:02 AM

it's unclicked.. is no one else having this sorta problem?

RE: i can't see any display pictures by dylan! on 06-20-2006 at 01:20 AM

by any chance are you using zonealarm? a friend had this problem and he un-installed ZoneAlarm and installed Norton and it seemed to work fine

RE: RE: i can't see any display pictures by babygirl001 on 06-20-2006 at 02:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

So....

babygirl001, no need for reinstalling, deleting folders or whatever, just select the proper menu item in the contactlist:

Contacts > View Display Picture > Small

it's already on that...instead of showing the display picture, it's showing the little green msn dude
quote:
Originally posted by dylan!
by any chance are you using zonealarm? a friend had this problem and he un-installed ZoneAlarm and installed Norton and it seemed to work fine

oh my god THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! i am using zone alarm, and have never had a problem with it till i updated it...i just shut it down to see if that's what the problem was and it was...now if i can just figure out how to still run zone alarm and use msn i'll be all set
RE: i can't see any display pictures by -Bogan- on 06-20-2006 at 06:56 AM

Yup I have same problem since I upgraded Zone alarm

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Khanzada on 06-20-2006 at 08:15 AM

oh man, yea Im using zone alarm too.. and yea is there any way I can still use zone alarm without having this problem?

I like zone alarm :(

RE: i can't see any display pictures by rudefrog on 06-20-2006 at 09:31 AM

Zone alarm once again... *shrug*..perhaps check zone alarms site or vist ur configuration settings

RE: i can't see any display pictures by R.J on 06-20-2006 at 10:01 AM

hmmmm seems zone alarms isnt the most popular anti-virus around when it comes to msn, i say get nod32(Y)works great and for me is the best anti-virus around

RE: i can't see any display pictures by -Bogan- on 06-20-2006 at 10:44 AM

No way to fix this I just went back to the previous install not much diffrence in the nxt one and msn works fine on it...

MAYbe the nxt release will work with msn.

RE: i can't see any display pictures by djsolidsnake86 on 06-20-2006 at 03:49 PM

i can't see the little image in tha main windows.. and there is a little green icon for each contact
please patchou, make in the patch a tweak for show the little avatar of contacts :)

RE: i can't see any display pictures by CookieRevised on 06-20-2006 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djsolidsnake86
i can't see the little image in tha main windows.. and there is a little green icon for each contact
please patchou, make in the patch a tweak for show the little avatar of contacts :)
This can't be done with Messenger Plus!. Ask the people who made Windows Live Messenger to add it back:
http://feedback.live.com/eform.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger
Note: but it was removed because those extremely little display pictures were found to be rather useless as they were simply too small to be decently visible. So I doubt they will be added back though.

If you're not using Windows Live Messenger but are using MSN Messenger 7.x, reread this thread as it has been stated why display pictures can sometimes be not-shown (option is not enabled, zonealarm, etc).
RE: i can't see any display pictures by miles on 06-21-2006 at 06:05 PM

ive got this exact same problem! described my problem in http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=60...d=669895#pid669895 but then i just found this thread.

i dont want to uninstall zone alarm :-(

hopefully an update will sort this bug out

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Khanzada on 06-21-2006 at 08:16 PM

I switched back to an older version of zone alarm last night (after a lot of difficulty), but atlast the display pictures and all were working

so, thank u everyone for the help :)

RE: i can't see any display pictures by miles on 06-22-2006 at 12:40 PM

How did you go back to an older version?
Which version are you on now?
(I've got the same problem!)

RE: i can't see any display pictures by Khanzada on 06-22-2006 at 08:19 PM

well, I fully uninstalled the current one I had

and downloaded this older working one: http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1043_zl/zaS..._61_744_001_en.exe

then I just turned off auto-update

and now it works fine

RE: i can't see any display pictures by miles on 06-23-2006 at 09:59 AM

I'll check it out.
The update seems to have messed about with battlefield 2 - it wont launch!
Thanks for the help guys :-)

*edit - installed the firewall that is linked above and msn is working properly again!

although i cant see peoples personal messages? ahh well :)

RE: i can't see any display pictures by taeus89 on 06-25-2006 at 04:43 PM

im having the same problem..
i degraded my zone alarm to the same version ur using
i can see display pics on IM windows now but not in WLM contact list
but i still cant see personal messages :S
help pls

RE: i can't see any display pictures by matty on 06-25-2006 at 10:30 PM

Does it look like the old style contact list where the status icons are small? or is it the newer one where the status icons are big?

If they are small you need to enable 2 things.
First click the Up/Down arrow above the contact list and click Show Details
Then Tools > Options > General > Check Show Display picture from others

If they are big status icons just try this part
Tools > Options > General > Check Show Display picture from others

RE: i can't see any display pictures by IvanDrago on 06-25-2006 at 10:51 PM

I'm having the same problem, and it happened with MSN Messenger and now it's happening with WLM. I'll try to make a detailed explanation about the problems with Zone Alarm, sorry if it's a bit messy, English isn't my first language.

First, with MSN Messenger I could see the display pictures, but no Personal Messages. That happened almost for a year, the only way I could notice the messages was watching the Events Window in Plus, but it said something like: (rough translation from Spanish): "(unknown user) has changed his personal message to: Hello, blah, blah, blah". It also afected the songs which my contacts were listenning, they didn't show up. However, my contacts could read my personal message and see what I was listenning to.

When I updated the Zone Alarm a week ago, the display pictures were gone. The only way they showed up was after being connected for a long time (I leave my computer turned on a lot of time).

Now I installed WLM, and it's still happening. No display pictures, no personal messages (and the only way to notice them is to watch the events window, but you notice someone changed their message, not who did it). The display pictures may (or may not) show up after being connected for a long time.

I've tried uninstalling Plus (both with MSN previously, and WLM now), no changes. I've tried reinstalling MSN Messenger, no changes, and reinstalling WLM too.

I don't know if the people in Zone Labs are working on these compatibility issues, because turning the Instant Messaging security option off does not solve the problem, the only way is to turn off the firewall (which is suicidal in web terms). Checking that all permisions to Messenger were given didn't fix it either.

Sorry for the long post, cheers.

RE: i can't see any display pictures by taeus89 on 06-26-2006 at 12:33 AM

uh... well according to the other posts.. having the small display pic on the contact list is not possible with WLM

soo my problem now the personal msg which i still cant see even after downgrading my zone alarm

RE: i can't see any display pictures by flying-giraffe on 06-27-2006 at 09:55 PM

I'm having the same problem too!

damn zone-alarm looked so good when i 1st started using it... now im getting more problems with each update!

getting annoyed with them now!

dont want to go back to norton though.

RE: i can't see any display pictures by matty_c608 on 06-29-2006 at 11:43 AM

If your Display Pictures, Personal Messages, and Names are not coming through properly, it's probably down to Zone Alarm, if you have it installed!

See this Post for a fix:

http://www.messenger.mattchan.co.uk/index.php?opt...iew&id=13&Itemid=2

Perhaps some comments at:

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=17679

RE: i can't see any display pictures by NeuralTransmitter on 06-29-2006 at 11:28 PM

And if you want your display pictures to re-appear in the contact list, then you can apply a patch I wrote, you can find it at http://neuraltransmitter.10gb.org

RE: RE: i can't see any display pictures by benn on 07-17-2006 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -Bogan-
No way to fix this I just went back to the previous install not much diffrence in the nxt one and msn works fine on it...

MAYbe the nxt release will work with msn.

SO HOW DO I GO TO A PREVIOUS INSTALLATION??? THANKS LOTS :D
RE: i can't see any display pictures by CookieRevised on 07-18-2006 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by benn
SO HOW DO I GO TO A PREVIOUS INSTALLATION??? THANKS LOTS :D
Please don't shout (aka: turn your caps lock off please)....

Anyways... you can install a previous Messenger version by first uninstalling the (more up to date and more bug fixed) current version.

After that you can install an earlier version.
;)
RE: i can't see any display pictures by miles on 07-21-2006 at 01:56 PM

I installed http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1043_zl/zaS..._61_744_001_en.exe   
And display pictures and emoticons work again.
However the italic personal messages still dont display.
Hope this helps.

RE: i can't see any display pictures by miss_rock_star on 11-26-2006 at 07:30 PM

this tread help me alot, thanks to all you guys :)

kisses and lollipops (L)

RE: i can't see any display pictures by bubbles6951 on 02-02-2008 at 10:08 PM

Plz plz help i have the same problem i cant see some of my friends display pic's and its driving me crazy, i am currently using WLM 8.1 and dont have zone alarm plz help x

RE: RE: i can't see any display pictures by Sophie-x on 02-25-2008 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Do you have the feature turned off :^)? Go to options and check ;).

Hi My Display Picture Just Went And I Was Looking Everywhere To Find Out How To Get It Back .. I Looked At The Comment You Sent And It Really Helped And Now I Have My Picture Back Thank You Very Much.. ;)