Shoutbox

ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game (/showthread.php?tid=60885)

ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by somelauw on 06-22-2006 at 07:31 PM

When playng a game in msn messenger this appears:

quote:
ActiveX-objecten ontbreken 2 
Voor Fun & Games zijn ActiveX-objecten vereist. Controleer of je ActiveX-objecten kunt installeren op deze computer en start het spelletje daarna opnieuw.

In English:
quote:
ActiveX-objecten are lacking 2 
For Fun & Games ActiveX-objecten are required. Check whether you can install ActiveX-objectenat this computer and restart the game after that.

How to do that?
RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by Chris4 on 06-22-2006 at 07:47 PM

By the sound of things, your computer needs updating, if you don't have ActiveX on your PC.

Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install all updates, I'm sure ActiveX will be in one of those updates.

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by Reload2 on 06-22-2006 at 07:49 PM

It used to happen with my MSN too but I reboot and retried that game and it worked again.

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by somelauw on 06-22-2006 at 07:50 PM

Forgot to tell. In the past games just worked.

What I am gonna do:
First I will try whether games next time I start windows will work.(nope)
Otherwise I will install the updates.(When Raceprouk can't help me, nor other people I'm maybe going to do that)
When none of them will work I'll bump this topic(if that's allowed?)

Thanks for the advices.

(This post has been edited)

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by RaceProUK on 06-22-2006 at 11:27 PM

The problem seems to be that your IE is blocking the downloading of ActiveX controls: you may need to adjust your Security settings in IE.

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by somelauw on 06-23-2006 at 08:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
The problem seems to be that your IE is blocking the downloading of ActiveX controls: you may need to adjust your Security settings in IE.
I already tried, but I can't figure out what exactly I have to change. (probably a virus scanner has changed my settings ridiculously high).
Could anyone explain step-by-step how to change it.
RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by RaceProUK on 06-23-2006 at 02:34 PM

Control Panel (Classic View) > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level > All the stuff under 'ActiveX controls and plug-ins'. There are two options that control downloads: set the signed one to 'Prompt', and see if the game prompts you to install the control needed.

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by somelauw on 06-25-2006 at 05:44 PM

I tried what you said. But unfortunately, I still can't play the msn games as I once could.
Edit: The signed one is set to "ask". Could it be risky to set it to "switched on"?(If that's the same as prompted)

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by RaceProUK on 06-26-2006 at 01:24 AM

Ask = Prompted.

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by somelauw on 06-26-2006 at 09:05 AM

Strange it still doesn't work. If it matters, my default browser is firefox. I don't think that really matters because when searching from msn, it opens an Internet Explorer window.
Another possibility could be that some games are updated and I use an older version of activeX-objects. That could be the reason it used to work.
If nobody has any ideas I think I'll donload the newest version if that's not the version I am using now.

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by RaceProUK on 06-26-2006 at 12:08 PM

You need to make the ActiveX security changes in IE, since that's what Messenger uses to display the games.

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by somelauw on 06-26-2006 at 12:16 PM

I made them in IE.

RE: ActiveX-objects are missing when playing a game by lisamariezeccauk on 03-18-2007 at 12:52 PM

i know how u feel i got that active x thingy come up when i tried to play games as and i did everything people told me to do but still not working