Shoutbox

Bring Back Custom Names! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Bring Back Custom Names! (/showthread.php?tid=60931)

Bring Back Custom Names! by AgentX on 06-23-2006 at 05:23 PM

I know custom names have been removed from the forthcoming Messenger Plus! Live because Windows Live Messenger now has a nickname feature, but the problem is this feature is well below the standard we have come to expect from Messenger Plus!.  If a contact has a nickname set on Windows Live Messenger it is impossible to see their screen name which although looks bad in the messenger main window is still interesting to see, as well as the fact that you can't have colours in your Windows Live Messenger nickname.  The way that Messenger Plus! does it currently is much better, and it would be a shame to lose these features for ever.  So I appeal to you, Patchou to bring back your enhanced feature into Messenger Plus! Live - just because a feature is in Windows Live Messenger is no reason to remove it - just look at the enhanced font colours and chat logging!

Who agrees with me?

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Voldemort on 06-23-2006 at 05:40 PM

Well.... it useless to spend so much time coding a feature already there... it will get better over the time... and the release is tomorrow...

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Patchou on 06-23-2006 at 06:05 PM

I may add it back if Microsoft doesn't improve the current nickname feature. I suggest you email Microsoft about it :).

As for colors, you surely can add some in the nicknames, just use bbcode charactres (like [b]name[/b])

RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by andrewdodd13 on 06-23-2006 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
As for colors, you surely can add some in the nicknames, just use bbcode charactres (like [b]name[/b])

:o... I've not been caught up on MP!Ls features, but are you saying that instead of things like (!FB) we now use BB Code? If so... that is waaaaaaaaaay cool!
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Voldemort on 06-23-2006 at 07:59 PM

Yes, bb code is used in Msg Plus! Live.

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by RaceProUK on 06-23-2006 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Yes, bb code is used in Msg Plus! Live.
In addition to the old IRC-style format codes, and in lieu of the old tags.
RE: RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Patchou on 06-23-2006 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

:o... I've not been caught up on MP!Ls features, but are you saying that instead of things like (!FB) we now use BB Code? If so... that is waaaaaaaaaay cool!

great :). One user happy, 13,120,074 to go.
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by GarymcG on 06-23-2006 at 11:37 PM

so does this means that the old code in peoples names like the dot$ # @ and so on will be visible, because no doubt it will take alot of users a long time to change from msn to windows messenger, and its just annoying not being able to see their names.? thanks

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Sunshine on 06-24-2006 at 12:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GarymcG
so does this means that the old code in peoples names like the dot$ # @ and so on will be visible, because no doubt it will take alot of users a long time to change from msn to windows messenger, and its just annoying not being able to see their names.? thanks
Well yes, both colour styling codes will be visible/parsed as colour if you are on WLM with Plus!Live...only if you use BBcodes these will be shown as code to those not using WLM and Plus!Live (other MSN versions, MsgPlus!3 or no Plus!).
RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by GarymcG on 06-24-2006 at 01:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Well yes, both colour styling codes will be visible/parsed as colour if you are on WLM with Plus!Live...only if you use BBcodes these will be shown as code to those not using WLM and Plus!Live (other MSN versions, MsgPlus!3 or no Plus!).

y thank you il sleep tonight:D
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Reload2 on 06-24-2006 at 01:14 AM

But I think that using BBcodes will waste more spaces in nickname than the old .$3. etc

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Chestah on 06-24-2006 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reload2
But I think that using BBcodes will waste more spaces in nickname than the old .$3. etc

The old tagging method is also supported in Msgplus! Live. You can switch between both methods in the preferences :).
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by fergofrog on 06-24-2006 at 08:07 AM

Going back to the Custom Names feature, Patch can you make it so that you can type in their custom name then something like "$realname" which changes into their real name, just a suggestion.

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Matti on 06-24-2006 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fergofrog
Going back to the Custom Names feature, Patch can you make it so that you can type in their custom name then something like "$realname" which changes into their real name, just a suggestion.
Well, you can suggest him. I like the idea of having something like:
quote:
Jack - %name%
which will turn into:
quote:
Jack - (H) carJACK (H)
I guess that's the only reason people want the Custom Names feature back. :P

* Matti asks Patchou...
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by markee on 06-24-2006 at 01:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:

I guess that's the only reason people want the Custom Names feature back. :P

* Mattike asks Patchou...
Exactly the reason. I doubt the messenger team will ever do it so it will probably end up being another thing that patchou has to do because the messenger teams attemp at copying wasn't good enough (like the chat logs)

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by CanadianOriginal on 06-25-2006 at 06:38 AM

quote:
As for colors, you surely can add some in the nicknames, just use bbcode charactres (like name)

I can get the [b], [i], etc tags to work, but I can't seem to use colour tags to modify the custom names. Assuming it's possible to colour contact list names in WLM's own custom nickname feature, I don't think it would be necessary to re-add the feature to Plus. The only real missing factor would be the (!M) and (!N) tag support.
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by renhao on 06-25-2006 at 11:42 AM

I'd like the nick changer back! WLM's attempt to copy it, possibly to avoid infringing on MPL's copyright was simply terrible.

Please bring it back! (yn)

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Joe771 on 06-25-2006 at 01:09 PM

Anyone know how to change the colour with BB code?

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by RaceProUK on 06-25-2006 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joe771
Anyone know how to change the colour with BB code?
Add the BBCode to the nickname as you would use it in messages.
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianOriginal
I can get the [b], [i], etc tags to work, but I can't seem to use colour tags to modify the custom names.
I've got colour tags to work: check your syntax is correct. Example: [c=2]name[/c=3] will perform a colour fade.

Edit:
Colour Tag Syntax
[c=<colour>]text[/c] for solid colour.
[c=<colour>]text[/c=<colour>] for gradient colour.
<colour> can be a number from 0 to 63, or an HTML colour code e.g. #330000.

For example, to get a fade from red to orange:
[c=4]This text will fade from red to orange over it's length[/c=7]

And kids, remember: you can draft these in a convo window and use the Format Panel to supply the colour codes ;)

Edit 2: And also kids, remember to use [noparse] in your forum posts when posting raw BBCode :P
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Joe771 on 06-25-2006 at 02:08 PM

Thanks, works now and looks great. For anyone wondering how to do it exactly use the code [c=2]name[/c] with the number being a different colour (1 is black, 2 is navy blue etc. same as it is in chats).

RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by CookieRevised on 06-25-2006 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:
quote:
Jack - %name%
which will turn into:
quote:
Jack - (H) carJACK (H)

The shortcuts tags for the real screenname and the email address have always been (!N) and (!M) respectivly.... If it is added back, it will of course be those very same tags ;)

Also see:
http://www.msgplus.net/help_cmdtag.php
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by yurividal on 06-26-2006 at 01:59 AM

YEES!!! this was one of my favorites features of Plus! When i first saw the nickname feature into WLM i thought it would be the same as in Plus!... but, it was not... people's names wouldnt be updated... :(.  I used this feature not because i dnt want to see people's nicks, but just because it made it easier for me to sort and find my contacts.
PATCHOU, PLEEEAASEE put it back!!

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Barisko on 06-26-2006 at 09:21 AM

Yes, please bring back this feature

I do not think that MS will ever add this feature because adding things as %name% yourself is thought to be to complicated for the average user.

RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Poom on 06-26-2006 at 10:51 AM

quote:
&#8203;Originally posted by Chestah
quote:
Originally posted by Reload2

The old tagging method is also supported in Msgplus! Live. You can switch between both methods in the preferences :).

That doesn't mean formatting from the format buttons will be IRC style. The only thing the option changes is what appears when you use the Ctrl shortcuts, which is bad for a favorite fan of the IRC style like me. =( The option should change what formatting style the buttons will do too. Besides, I love how there is a tiny popup window where we can choose color after doing Ctrl+K. Why doesn't Plus bring this back for both IRC and BB?

Also, I have a suggestion for the custom nicknam feature. Instead of having a frame in the preferences dialogue for custom names like 3.63, we could have something like Office 2007 in Plus! Live. In Office 2007 (still in beta), we get a popup window just like how we used to get in Plus! 3.63 when we click Ctrl+K. The popup will appear when highlighted some text. The popup will have some formatting buttons in it. We can get something like this when Nicknames are highlighted while editting. I'll make a screeny. =D

Edit: Here comes screeny
[Image: CustomNameIdea.png]
Sorry if this doesn't look that great, done in paint. Anyways, the first and second buttons are obvious. The third and fourth are color and bg color respectively. How is that?
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by DjBeNNeTT on 06-26-2006 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Poom
The only thing the option changes is what appears when you use the Ctrl shortcuts, which is bad for a favorite fan of the IRC style like me. =( The option should change what formatting style the buttons will do too. Besides, I love how there is a tiny popup window where we can choose color after doing Ctrl+K. Why doesn't Plus bring this back for both IRC and BB?

The shortcut has changed to CTRL+R

I'm a fan of IRC, always use IRC aswell. Confused me a bit that CTRL+K did not bring the box up, but CTRL+R did.
Nowadays i remember the color numbers anyway so CTRL+K Gives the box, then just add the number after it :D
RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Poom on 06-26-2006 at 11:14 AM

quote:
&#8203;Originally posted by DjBeNNeTT
quote:
The only thing the option changes is what appears when you use the Ctrl shortcuts, which is bad for a favorite fan of the IRC style like me. =( The option should change what formatting style the buttons will do too. Besides, I love how there is a tiny popup window where we can choose color after doing Ctrl+K. Why doesn't Plus bring this back for both IRC and BB?

The shortcut has changed to CTRL+R

I'm a fan of IRC, always use IRC aswell. Confused me a bit that CTRL+K did not bring the box up, but CTRL+R did.
Nowadays i remember the color numbers anyway so CTRL+K Gives the box, then just add the number after it :D

=O Thanky. So Ctrl+R does like the format button, only that it becomes IRC style instead of BB. Awesome! There should still be a box with the colors only for Ctrl+K though...
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by pawawe on 06-26-2006 at 11:20 AM

Yes... I miss the feature to still left the original name too...
please put it back!!! PLEASE...

otherwise, i will return to msn 7.5 and plus 3.6

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by DjBeNNeTT on 06-26-2006 at 11:28 AM

Yeah, pure IRC Style is CTRL+K (L)

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by RaceProUK on 06-26-2006 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Besides, I love how there is a tiny popup window where we can choose color after doing Ctrl+K. Why doesn't Plus bring this back for both IRC and BB?
Because the way you add BB is different to using IRC style. With BB, you just select the text you want to change, then use the Formatting Options button in the convo window/Options dialog. Plus! then adds the tags for you in the correct places.
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by ~*McoreD*~ on 06-26-2006 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AgentXIf a contact has a nickname set on Windows Live Messenger it is impossible to see their screen name which although looks bad in the messenger main window is still interesting to see, as well as the fact that you can't have colours in your Windows Live Messenger nickname. 
Who agrees with me?

In Plus!, go to Plus ! > Contact List Clean Up and you will see the original Windows Live ID name. :)
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Barisko on 06-26-2006 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ~*McoreD*~
In Plus!, go to Plus ! > Contact List Clean Up and you will see the original Windows Live ID name. :)

where?
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by ~*McoreD*~ on 06-26-2006 at 02:58 PM

Plus! menu in Windows Live Messenger main window.

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by grik on 06-26-2006 at 03:46 PM

I thank Patchou for this new version, and im pretty sure he will bring back this costum name feature again. I also wish so mutch.

Best of lucks in that job!!

You rock

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by jkenn99 on 06-26-2006 at 11:46 PM

Pleeeease bring back old custom names. The Microsoft version of this feature is garbage.

At the very least could we have a tag to be able to use the contact's name in their custom name? That much doesn't sound too bad to code considering we can already use other tags there.

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by perfect-light on 06-26-2006 at 11:50 PM

Please bring back the custom name feature:( I loved the one in messenger plus and I really don't want to have to re write all of em. I unistalled live because without custom names it annoys me too much so i'll stick to 7.5...

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by renhao on 06-27-2006 at 01:33 AM

Or another way could be Patchou could put up a script for this so we could use it as an optional add on if we wanted, and he wouldn't have to put it in to satisfy a few people (I really dunno just how many want this back).

Why didn't I think of that earlier....

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by perfect-light on 06-27-2006 at 03:20 AM

that was the number 1 thing I loved...like I cannot tell who is who. It depresses me.

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Colin-uk on 06-27-2006 at 02:12 PM

the live version of this sucks

the plus! version let you enable "original" nicks for certain contacts, which is what i used it for

now you cant do that :/

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by pawawe on 06-28-2006 at 12:03 PM

yes... the costum name feature was the only feature, why i used plus to be honest...

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by RaceProUK on 06-28-2006 at 03:22 PM

The Microsoft 'Nickname' feature is not garbage at all: it wasn't designed to be like Custom Names. Plus, all that's been lost really is the use of tags like (!N). You can still add colours and formatting to it.

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by renhao on 06-28-2006 at 03:26 PM

Certainly, but I think what alot of us who posted here really wanted was the fact that the Plus version allowed us to see the original nick behind the mask of the renaming. I'm sure font formatting isn't as good a reason as that to bring custom names back.

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by perfect-light on 06-28-2006 at 03:36 PM

I really have no clue how to use it..

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by NoMeN on 06-28-2006 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by renhao
Certainly, but I think what alot of us who posted here really wanted was the fact that the Plus version allowed us to see the original nick behind the mask of the renaming. I'm sure font formatting isn't as good a reason as that to bring custom names back.

Yeah, i think you are right. I used MsgPlus because I was able to add custom names and see the original names at the same time. Now with MP!L its gone :( hope it'll be back soon.
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by whkoh on 06-29-2006 at 01:54 AM

Yes, I love Custom Names too... It's different from WLM Nicknames; please bring it back, thanks!

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by superjugy on 06-29-2006 at 04:59 AM

I want this feature back too, since i use a lot the plus notifications to know if someone logged off, but when i put a nickname in WLM, and a contact goes offline, MP!L doesn't put the nickname i gave, instead it keeps the original nickname. so i cant know who is logging off like i did with the Costum Names of Plus!. so pls bring it back, or at least make Plus able to read the Custom nicknames of WLM. pls Patchau :), pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese????????????????? :):):):):)

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by wikdwoo on 06-30-2006 at 07:57 AM

:( i must be thick

im in me 40s build computers, run diagnostics on comps etc etc etc but all these posts are like a foreign language to me........WOT is a BB code :S because ive always loved the pretty colours on the contacts list and having them all in rotten boring grey is driving me nuts, i wouldnt upgrade till plus was ready and wot do i find, the features gone :( it used to be so simple and now we have to learn a code :|

can someone please help
thanx

RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by SerGuMa on 06-30-2006 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wikdwoo
:( i must be thick

im in me 40s build computers, run diagnostics on comps etc etc etc but all these posts are like a foreign language to me........WOT is a BB code :S because ive always loved the pretty colours on the contacts list and having them all in rotten boring grey is driving me nuts, i wouldnt upgrade till plus was ready and wot do i find, the features gone :( it used to be so simple and now we have to learn a code :|

can someone please help
thanx

it's the code most used in the forums :P

Google is your friend ;), the sintaxys is very simple, for example

code:
[ b]text[/b] bold text
[ i]text[/i] italic text
[ u]text[/u] underlined text
[c=color number]text[/c] colored text

these are the codes that are used in MsgPlus!L , in the forums we use a few more :P
p.d.: remove the spaces because even in code mode it seems to get parsed :E
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by JaCe88 on 06-30-2006 at 11:13 AM

OMG i can't believe this feature is gone >_>... I regret upgrading to Windows Live Messenger because now I have nearly a thousand contacts, and I have no clue who half of them are. Before you flame me for having so many ppl- some are uni, some are high school friends, some are work mates, colleagues, etc... and then there's family.

All I can hope for at the moment is that Patchou reintroduces the feature, and most importantly (and hopefully), Msg Plus Live! didn't remove the custom names from the settings file. If it did.... then I'm screwed.

If only I had backed up my settings beforehand- then at least I could downgrade back to msn 7.5 and msgplus :(

Should you ever read this Patchou... please bring it back! I've been a loyal user of your program since the days of 1.7x I think? Back then, all I wanted was chat logging though =]

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by RaceProUK on 06-30-2006 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SerGuMa
remove the spaces because even in code mode it seems to get parsed
[noparse]
quote:
Originally posted by SerGuMa
code:
[ b]text[/b] bold text
[ i]text[/i] italic text
[ u]text[/u] underlined text
[c=color number]text[/c] colored text

Also:
code:
[s]Strikeout[/s]
[c=colour code]Gradient text[/c=colour code 2]
[a=colour code]Background colour[/a]
[a=colour code]Background gradient[/a=colour code] * Not in menu: will head over to Bug Reports now
[n]No parse[/n]

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Sjoram on 07-01-2006 at 01:27 PM

I'm another one missing the Custom Names feature for the same reasons as everyone else.  I'll live with it for now I suppose on this machine, but I won't be upgrading my other machines until there's a fix for it or MS improves theirs (unlikely) :(

RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by CookieRevised on 07-02-2006 at 01:18 AM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by JaCe88
If only I had backed up my settings beforehand- then at least I could downgrade back to msn 7.5 and msgplus :(
If you only installed Windows Live Messenger and installed Plus! Live, then you still have Plus!3 and its settings.

Even if you uninstall Plus!3 (without choosing: remove my settings too) you still could reinstall Plus!3 and have all your settings as they are still in the registry.

So unless you have reformatted your computer or uninstall Plus!3 with the option to also clear all your settings, all the preferences of Plus!3 are still in the registry and you could easly downgrade to MSN Messenger 7.x and Plus!3 again  ;)

[/OFF TOPIC]
RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by grik on 07-02-2006 at 02:48 AM

i thougth only me was missing this feature, apperantly not

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by superpositivo on 07-02-2006 at 05:10 PM

PLEEEEAASSEEE!!.....

THE CUSTOM NAMES PLUSSS!!!

I didn't install the new version of MSN (Windows Live) only to wait PLUS! LIVE

The Custom Names tool of the PLUS! was perfect! The W.L. (Windos Live) version really sucks!!!

It takes too long to put the colors and format of the names, and always you have to stay there to control if you wrote the perfect code, if the code gives the color you want, to test, to make trials...it's like everybody has to be a programmer (I am).

But the most important thing I noticed, I don't know if it's bug or a miss, is that even if I change name and color for a name, when I have it in the tab list of Plus!, it has the original name!..SO...it becomes almost unuseful

People always change their names, and so everytime you have to remember "who is that guy???" or try to rembember from the address...

PLEAAASEEEE!! The custom namessss!..It's already done!!!..Just put it in the new verision! (that is really great...THANK YOU PATCHOU!!!)

ps: (just an idea..isn't possibile to associate emoticons with sounds?...well..ok...I don't speak anymore..)

AHHHHHH!!!!....Now I feel better!!!

I went back to 7.5 and Plus 3!!!....eheh.eh.

And you know what?...Even the 7.5 version I like it more!!!

I decided to go back after reading the numerous posts of people complaining of some features now missed here and there. And I feel the same...

I love Plus! and I will upgrade MSN again to WL or even more, only to install an upgraded version of Plus!.

And, for example, about the Custon Names, it's not true that the only things that WL miss is that tag or the other...miss everything, as a user friendly interface as Plus! had.

Otherwise is like to say that DOS don't miss nothing comparing to the Windows interface....yeah....let's go back to hunt animals in the jungle....yeah...

CIAO!

RE: RE: RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by xiiaomiin on 07-03-2006 at 01:29 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:

y thank you il sleep tonight:D

why i am still unable to see color nick when i am already using WLM with Plus!live? can u guys teach me??

RE: Bring Back Custom Names! by Daniboy on 03-19-2007 at 09:57 PM

I want to know if this feature will be in Messenger Plus! Live in the future. I Know that WLM has this feature but itīs not the same and I really miss the plus one.
Thanks
Bye

P.S. PLEASE PATCHOU BRING IT BACK! :(