Shoutbox

Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent (/showthread.php?tid=60986)

Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 08:44 PM

Obviously soon after it's release msgplsuslive will get put up on most of the popular torrent sites, but why doesn't Patchou spread it this way to begin with? Surely everyone in the world trying to download a 5kb file is a lot easier than downloading a several mb file which will probably be bigger than previous releases with all the great new features bound to be jam packed into it. It's just a suggestion, but I think having a torrent for live from the beginning will help everyone upgrade a lot quicker and easier and save some bandwidth ;) Thanks for your hard work Patchou (Smilie)

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by Supersonicdarky on 06-24-2006 at 08:47 PM

i think that patchou wants the total amount of downloads and you dont need to worry about the servers [Image: msn_wink.gif]

but it is a good idea

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 08:48 PM

You could count the total amount of downloads from the server of the torrent, and ok but still it's a nice way to distribute the file and create a sense of commuinty about it.

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by absorbation on 06-24-2006 at 08:50 PM

Why a torrent. I mean torrents are known for viruses from people who don't know what they are doing :P

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by Ezra on 06-24-2006 at 08:50 PM

I'm sure there will be some unofficial torrents.

Just keep an eye on mininova and isohunt

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation

Why a torrent. I mean torrents are known for viruses from people who don't know what they are doing

That's not true :S, that's true for networks like fasttracks and gnutella, a random virus can just install itself into your sharing folder, but with torrents there are hash checks for files and torrents uploading can't be automated, you need to make a new torrentfile, host it somewhere and use a tracker.
RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 08:51 PM

Yeah, but an offical one prevents what absorbation just said. If you have the torrent from msgplus then your guaranteed the same security from the regular file.

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by NiteMare on 06-24-2006 at 08:52 PM

patchou probualy doesn't release it that way because how meny programs ar acutaly released via torrents?, in addition to the fact that patchou wants to keep the installation as simple as possable and not everybody knows what a torrent is, or how to use one

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by Voldemort on 06-24-2006 at 08:53 PM

Well, i dont think a torrent is worth 5 megabytes...

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 08:53 PM

Countless answers your questions NiteMare, countless! Options can be given, torrents for the super and.exes for the simple

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

It is to the dial up users and the ones who love torrents!
RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by Voldemort on 06-24-2006 at 08:54 PM

and of course, its difficult to update a torrent...

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by Menthix on 06-24-2006 at 08:54 PM

Because 80% of Messenger Plus!' users have no idea what bittorrent is in the first place or know how to install.

At this moment there is no reason to think the download server will go down under the load, it's not like autoupdate is instantly activated anyway. There isn't even a real reason for mirrors.

RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by WDZ on 06-24-2006 at 08:55 PM

You'd have to find a reliable public tracker... I don't think there are many... =/

Setting up one dedicated to MP!L would probably take too long.

Anyway, I'm sure some trusted forum members will host mirrors on their own webspace, unless Patchou tells them not to...

RE: RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Because 80% of Messenger Plus!' users have no idea what bittorrent is in the first place or know how to install.

At this moment there is no reason to think the download server will go down under the load, it's not like autoupdate is instantly activated anyway. There isn't even a real reason for mirrors.

80% ey and that statistic came from where?
RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by NiteMare on 06-24-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattm591
Countless answers your questions NiteMare, countless! Options can be given, torrents for the super and.exes for the simple
releaseing plus! is as a torrent is stupid, whats wrong with downloading it directly, its not like it will be smaller as a torrent, yoru still downloading the same sized file
RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by Tochjo on 06-24-2006 at 08:56 PM

This was discussed when version 3.50 was released: Offical 3.50 Torrent.

As Patchou posted,

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I thank you for the idea but don't worry, the main msgplus.net server is more than capable of delivering the files for everybody, there's no need for other sources (that's also why there's no more official mirror page on msgplus.net except for simtel but that's another story :)).

RE: RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
releaseing plus! is as a torrent is stupid, whats wrong with downloading it directly, its not like it will be smaller as a torrent, yoru still downloading the same sized file

A torrent is several kb in size and lets people pause the download, relax as they download and have the security of knowing... it's a torrent!

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo

As Patchou posted,
quote:
I thank you for the idea but don't worry, the main msgplus.net server is more than capable of delivering the files for everybody, there's no need for other sources (that's also why there's no more official mirror page on msgplus.net except for simtel but that's another story :)).

Tada, you win! I just thought it would be fun to make a new one, maybe CookieRevised can see the humour if he views this one day ;)
RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by Rubberducky on 06-24-2006 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo

As Patchou posted,
quote:

LOL there's a lot of bs posted in that thread, especially by CookieRevised (who appears to be staff or affiliated directly with msgplus!). So many people had no idea what they were talking about.
RE: RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by -rafy- on 06-24-2006 at 08:59 PM

quote:
quote:

Wait, how is it going to be better for dial-up users? if anything it will be slower for them....

Its probally not worth the effort for a 5MB file.
RE: RE: RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
quote:
quote:

Wait, how is it going to be better for dial-up users? if anything it will be slower for them....

Its probally not worth the effort for a 5MB file.

Obviously it wouldn't be,   but it keeps you arguing it!
RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by NiteMare on 06-24-2006 at 09:00 PM

quote:
A torrent is several kb in size and lets people pause the download, relax as they download and have the security of knowing... it's a torrent!
that made me laugh, whats so nerve racking about downloading a file?

and since when have torrents been secure:P the magority of torrents are used for warez
RE: RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by mattm591 on 06-24-2006 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
that made me laugh, whats so nerve racking about downloading a file?

and since when have torrents been secure:P the magority of torrents are used for warez

Tut tut, the use of a torrent does not make the actual thing itself unsecure. And the majority are not used for warez. The majority of files hosted on say eMule are warez, but bittorrent is a nicer fish! And thats what gives you the comfort
RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by NiteMare on 06-24-2006 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Tut tut, the use of a torrent does not make the actual thing itself unsecure. And the majority are not used for warez. The majority of files hosted on say eMule are warez, but bittorrent is a nicer fish! And thats what gives you the comfort
the magorisy of bittorrent files are warez:dodgy:

where chrono's ban hammer
RE: Offical Messenger Plus! Live Torrent by WDZ on 06-24-2006 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Tada, you win! I just thought it would be fun to make a new one
:rolleyes:

I think this issue has been debated enough. Thread closed.