Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity (/showthread.php?tid=61000)

Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-24-2006 at 10:13 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=672867]

Some of you may remember a few months ago, when I posted a thread about creating a Messenger Plus! forum charity, where people donate and money is sent to a charity, or lots of different charities in the name of the Messenger Plus! community.

Well about a six weeks ago, I decided to revive the idea, so I discussed it with Patchou and he agreed so I gathered a team (Myself, Patchou, Chris Boulton and MenthiX) and got to work on the website. While working on the website, Patchou and MenthiX guided and helped with the paypal set up, while Chris Boulton coded the php (the complicated stuff ;)).

The first target we have is to raise $500 for a charity of your choice, this will be in the name of the forum, so everybody who donates will get their name put down and it will be sent off to who donated, or of course simply placed on the website if there are too many names (hopefully there will be lots!!!).

I am going to be making another thread after this one, asking for ideas on the charities to donate the money to. One idea we did have was to either sponsor a child or simply donate the money to certain things, for example: buying a kit for a farmer in Africa to grow crops, or buy 100 school dinners for children. But, it is all up to you (obviously they have to be serious charities).

The website isn't hosted on www.msgpluslive.net because Patchou doesn't have the time to manage that aswell as his great piece of software. So the site will be managed by myself, chris boulton and menthix. The management also includes managing the donations that are receieved (which are, unfortunately, only accepted by credit/debit card and paypal via. the donate button on the website).

So please donate! It's for a good cause!!! Also, a donator will be selected at random (regardless of how much they donated) and sent a free Messenger Plus! Live t-shirt!

You can reach the website by going to: www.msgpluslivecharity.net or of course going to www.msgpluslive.net and pressing the link on the main website!

I'd also like to thank Jonathan Kay for buying the domain and sithtoast for hosting it for free.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by prashker on 06-24-2006 at 10:14 PM

Very Nice (y), unfortunatly I can't donate :P (havent spent any money since CamForSam started :P)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by ayjay on 06-24-2006 at 10:15 PM

(y)

I'll donate sometime soon and then it'll be worth all your stress :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by alexp2_ad on 06-24-2006 at 10:16 PM

Nice idea. :)

I'll definetly donate if / when I get a PayPal account...

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by RaceProUK on 06-24-2006 at 10:28 PM

Typo:

quote:
in the name of the Messenger Plus! Community, so now credit will go to one single person

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Voldemort on 06-24-2006 at 10:29 PM

Congrats..... i shall see if i can donate later...

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by dylan! on 06-24-2006 at 10:33 PM

I'm pretty sure he meant no instead of now

great Idea! I will try my hardest to help out and I'll get friends to donate too:)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-24-2006 at 10:34 PM

Thank you for all of your comments, I will fix that now. Any suggestions etc. please PM me or menthix regarding it :).

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Jordan Pardy on 06-24-2006 at 10:42 PM

I may be able to donate :) later though.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-25-2006 at 08:20 AM

Thank you to everyone who has donated already, we already have $25 through, which is good considering the minute length of time that the website has been running for!

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by xJ + on 06-25-2006 at 12:35 PM

Does it always have to pay via credit/debit card and paypal? Unfortunately, I can't donate, as I don't even have a single one. :(

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by absorbation on 06-25-2006 at 12:36 PM

I will be happy to donate and spread the word. Just ashame I only have £0.63 in paypal at the moment. If you want it, it's yours :P.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by John Anderton on 06-25-2006 at 12:41 PM

The same thread again? Last time we didnt have any donations cause ideas were being made right?
I would donate but it'd probably not be as much after the conversion :P Plus paypal doesnt work here and i dont have a CC so if anyone has an idea then let me know :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Max on 06-25-2006 at 12:47 PM

So we can't be sued by some lowlife who thinks we are stealing money from them, I think it might be a good idea to register the site with the charity commission.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-25-2006 at 07:32 PM

I think you'll find that this forum isn't the charity, therefore we don't need to register with any charity commision. I'm positive that even if they did try and sue, they wouldn't win. I think you may've misread the website.

We've already made $60 (usd) which is great, so we're over a tenth of the way there :p.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by CookieRevised on 06-25-2006 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Any suggestions etc. please PM me or menthix regarding it :).
Idea is excellent and I will donate.

However:

1) Paypal accounts have been closed (without any refund!!!!) in the past for the reason that paypal though it was a scam of some kind seeing that many 'strangers' suddenly started to put money on a single account. I strongly advise to contact paypal and to get more information/advise so they don't close this account.

2) Why should everything be a competition? Especially for something like this? I certainly do not agree upon "he who donates the most gets a price".... This doesn't only goe against the idea of charity in general. It is also very discriminating to the people who can't donate that much or not at all. 10$ might seem very little for some people, while it will be a month's allowence of somebody else!!!! Please do not turn this into a competition and drop the idea of that t-shirt.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-25-2006 at 08:18 PM

Okay, I will contact Paypal about the website now and the paypal account now.

As for the second point, I see what you mean... Instead of the highest donator winning something, anybody who donates can get the t-shirt. They will be selected randomly when the total is reached.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by CookieRevised on 06-25-2006 at 08:28 PM

quote:
As for the second point, I see what you mean... Instead of the highest donator winning something, anybody who donates can get the t-shirt. They will be selected randomly when the total is reached.
much better....

--------------

suggestions:

3) Change the used currency on the paypal account to the more universal US dollars (if possible)

4) Verify your paypal account.

--------------

Question:
Who actually has access to the paypal account? In things like this it is better to have a few trusted (by everyone) people having access (you, patchou, chris, trekkie, ...). Eg: so they can't accuse you from withholding money etc... (it's the same way as with bankaccounts of companies: it are always several people who has access to them; no matter if they all are close friends or not. It's just safer for both you and the rest)

I just donated
RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Reload2 on 06-25-2006 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
2) Why should everything be a competition? Especially for something like this? I certainly do not agree upon "he who donates the most gets a price".... This doesn't only goe against the idea of charity in general. It is also very discriminating to the people who can't donate that much or not at all. 10$ might seem very little for some people, while it will be a month's allowence of somebody else!!!! Please do not turn this into a competition and drop the idea of that t-shirt.

I agree. I remember a story happened to Jesus. He saw a lot of people throwing coins into the treasury chests of a synagogue. But then he then saw a poor widow who throwed two smalls coins of very little value. So Jesus said to his disciples: "This poor widow dropped more than everyone else because they all dropped their surplus, but she dropped all she had for living...."

Moral of the story: There shouldn't be price for the one who donated the more, but the important is to donate what we can afford. I would donate if I had a Paypal account and money in it...
RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by gif83 on 06-25-2006 at 08:36 PM

will the charity that donations go to be put up as a vote after suggestions have been made? Is there anyone that gets a final say?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-25-2006 at 11:11 PM

It's amazing! In just over 24 hours, we have already raised an amazing $101!!!

quote:
quote:
much better....

--------------

suggestions:

3) Change the used currency on the paypal account to the more universal US dollars (if possible)

4) Verify your paypal account.

--------------

Question:
Who actually has access to the paypal account? In things like this it is better to have a few trusted (by everyone) people having access (you, patchou, chris, trekkie, ...). Eg: so they can't accuse you from withholding money etc... (it's the same way as with bankaccounts of companies: it are always several people who has access to them; no matter if they all are close friends or not. It's just safer for both you and the rest)

I just donated

We are trying to change it to USD at the moment, MenthiX had trouble doing it, and so am I. But we'll find a way, regardless.

The bank account will be verified by Wednesday, I started the verification process on Friday and it takes 3 days, excluding weekends.

Well me, Chris Boulton, MenthiX and Patchou have access to the paypal account.

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
will the charity that donations go to be put up as a vote after suggestions have been made? Is there anyone that gets a final say?

A thread will be made soon and people can make suggestions, the charity with the highest amount of votes in a poll will receive the donation.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-29-2006 at 04:57 PM

Sorry for the double post, but all of the bank account is just about to get verified, so keep the donations coming in :p.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Cantunis on 06-30-2006 at 02:43 PM

going to send 15€ which is almost 20 $ :)

i feel nice today .. :)

EDIT : Damn im gonna wait until you change to usd ... an euro is 1.2 dollars so you get more money

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by CookieRevised on 06-30-2006 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cantunis

EDIT : Damn im gonna wait until you change to usd ... an euro is 1.2 dollars so you get more money
The valuta will automatically adapt in your own paypal account.

15€ equals 10.3770 GBP

So you can simply send 10.37 GBP with your paypal account and on your bill it will show as 15€...

For currency convertion see http://www.xe.com/
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Cantunis on 06-30-2006 at 05:09 PM

quote:
quote:

The valuta will automatically adapt in your own paypal account.

15€ equals 10.3770 GBP

So you can simply send 10.37 GBP with your paypal account and on your bill it will show as 15€...

For currency convertion see http://www.xe.com/

Done , Payment Sent .

15,38 € that makes 10,37 GBP .

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-30-2006 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Done , Payment Sent .

15,38 € that makes 10,37 GBP .

Thanks a lot, we have around $150 now, so we're on the way!
RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Cantunis on 06-30-2006 at 05:24 PM

w0w 150$ that good

on msgpluslivecharity.net you could make it write in middle of bar :

Current Amount : XXX $

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 06-30-2006 at 05:25 PM

quote:
w0w 150$ that good

I spoke to fishy about it, he didn't reply. I may try and do it myself, surely it wouldn't be that difficult.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Cantunis on 06-30-2006 at 05:35 PM

quote:
quote:
w0w 150$ that good

I spoke to fishy about it, he didn't reply. I may try and do it myself, surely it wouldn't be that difficult.

Roger That  , keep us posted :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 07-06-2006 at 05:48 AM

Just need to post again to keep people interested. It's annoying because a link was supposed to go on www.msgpluslive.net but it still hasn't been put up.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by Menthix on 09-23-2006 at 04:26 PM

I'd like to thank everyone for their donations, we have just donated $150USD to the Red Cross.

As you can see on http://www.msgpluslivecharity.net/, the donation site is currently closed because of some issues. But we will be back bigger and better :p... when Patchou gets back we hope to get the link on www.msgpluslive.net and get the charity project re-opened.

Thank you again everyone who has donated. And those who are interested, we will be back for you as a way to show your support for Messenger Plus! and do something good for the world at once.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Official Forum Charity by user27089 on 09-23-2006 at 04:33 PM

I'd also like to say thank you to everyone for all of the donations etc. :)