Shoutbox

[Release] Google Utilities - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] Google Utilities (/showthread.php?tid=61061)

[Release] Google Utilities by Chestah on 06-25-2006 at 01:31 AM

Information

Google Utilities is a script that allows you to use many of Google's search functions! I've made an easy to use user interface which allows you to customise many options which Google provides - e.g which country and/or language.

You can access Google Utilities from within the Plus! icon as shown below :).

Msgplus! Live Script Database Link

Latest Version: 1.02 (25/06/2006)

Features

• Google Search: !gsearch <query> [Returns top 3 searches, although you can customise this in the preferences]
  • Google Results: !gresults <query> [Returns number of results for the query]
  • Google Spelling Suggestion: !gspell <phrase> [Returns a spelling suggestion for incorrect words]
  • Google Cache: !gcache <url> [Returns the size of Google's cached page for the url query and also the cached link]
  • Google Fight: !gfight <query1>|<query2> [Returns the amount of results for both searches and determines which query is the winner]
  • Google Define: !gdefine <query> [Returns a link for Google's defintion page for the query. As this is not supported in the API it is only the link that is returned.

and... Google Utilities is 100% documented. If you are thinking of making your own script, please have a read through my source code! Every instruction has documentation beside it showing you exactly how it works! Hopefully this will help a few people create their own scripts :).

[Image: Convo.PNG]
This is an example of the Google Search feature. You can customise this feature in the preferences to restrict the search to specific languages or countries. You can also set the number of results which is shown between 1 - 10.

[Image: Preferences.PNG]
This is Google Utilities' preferences area. Here you can specify all the settings you'd like the script to use when performing the above features.

[Image: Help.PNG]
This Help window is included so if you forget a command (or what each command does) you can easily look it up.

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by Discrate on 06-25-2006 at 01:33 AM

Well done, i will be sure to download this when i download msgplus live. It looks like a great script. So many people are making scripts now :P

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by Chestah on 06-25-2006 at 03:28 AM

hehe yeah! Well this one took me a few weeks to make! It should actually be in the scripts database but i can't access msgpluslive.net to check :P

Edit: Ok, screenies updated!
Edit: Links updated to the Msgplus! Live Script Database.

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by Ingiliz_cezahsi on 06-25-2006 at 01:04 PM

Great plugin, actually really usefull.
Thanks

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by Cantunis on 06-25-2006 at 01:49 PM

When clicking on DOWNLOAD button keeps sending you to same page ... lol so i cant download

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by Chestah on 06-26-2006 at 01:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ingiliz_cezahsi
Great plugin, actually really usefull.
Thanks

Thankyou :). If you have any suggestions please post and i'll add them if i have time.

quote:
Originally posted by Cantunis
When clicking on DOWNLOAD button keeps sending you to same page ... lol so i cant download

Really? Thats weird. Try clicking it now, it should take you to the official Msgplus! Live scripting database whereby you can click the download button at bottom of the page :).
RE: [Release] Google Utilities by nooz on 07-06-2006 at 05:37 PM

I am a serious news junkie so I would love an option to search google news!

Can you do this? I would be sooo grateful! :D

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by amor on 07-06-2006 at 07:02 PM

Great script! Very usefull indeed, specially when you're talking to someone who really doesn't know how to search hehe

I would like to sugest just 2 things:
1 - An option to show the search address above the search results
(ex. when you search for "msgplus" in google: http://www.google.com/search?q=msgplus&rls=com.microsoft:pt&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1)
And a command to just show the search address, with no results shown (helpful for those who can't search, as refered about)

2 - More formatting of the search results, allowing to put the search result TITLE and URL in same line, allowing to trucante the search result text to a defined number of chars...
Ex.
Messenger Plus! Extension - http://www.msgplus.net/
Adds extra fun...

Title and url in the same line and trucanted after 14 chars...

Hope I've made myself understand.. If not tell me, I'll try again :D

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by amor on 07-06-2006 at 07:41 PM

Well I got my old l33t coding skillZ (lol) back and I'm working on the sugestions I made... Some more info soon hehe

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by kmcbest on 07-20-2006 at 12:26 PM

I've had problems with this scripts as it's says that Google has encountered an internal error....does it happen often?

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by Tartooob on 07-20-2006 at 01:23 PM

Amazing script, Works gr8 with me

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by bigbob85 on 01-31-2007 at 07:13 PM

Chestah, the URL is for the old scripts database, and I can't find it in the new one. Any other download mirrors?

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by YUTARO on 02-10-2007 at 09:08 PM

Alright, i got it to work again without using the plsc install script (non-existant now)

so here,
download

extract to "%HomeDrive%\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\scripts\Google Utilities"

restart computer (maybe you can just restart wlm?), but that's the way i did it and it shows up again, working... just insert your google api key.

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by bigbob85 on 02-11-2007 at 01:57 AM

Yeah.. Or you can just download this plsc.
*link removed*

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by riahc4 on 02-13-2007 at 11:00 PM

I think this should go further; Make the search customizable like IE7; In IE7 you can search Messenger Plus! forums, Neowin, Wikipedia, Google, etc...

RE: [Release] Google Utilities by Menthix on 02-13-2007 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bigbob85
the URL is for the old scripts database
Actually, the script was removed from the Scripts DB. If it was still there the old URL would have automatically redirected you to the new URL. Chestah asked me to remove it because Google doesn't provide API keys anymore to normal users which makes the script unusable.
RE: [Release] Google Utilities by bigbob85 on 02-19-2007 at 11:32 AM

Oh, I wondered why it stoped working.