Shoutbox

Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=61073)

Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by alegator on 06-25-2006 at 02:16 AM

I upgraded Messenger from v7.5.0322 to WLM 8.0.0792 and accordingly I updated Plus! from the old Plus! to Live Plus!. Before doing this I exported my Plus! preferences from v7.5.0322 and imported them into WLM. Problem is that WLM Plus! displays a message saying that it can't import users' preferences generated by an older Plus! version. Does this mean I will need to manually rename all contacts that I renamed using the old Plus!?? :(

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by Mnjul on 06-25-2006 at 02:18 AM

Hello alegator,

I'm sorry to inform you that Messenger Plus! Live does not have built-in custom names feature (to avoid redundancy, since WLM has the same feature). So, your old custom names from old Plus! 3.6 will not be imported to WLM (Plus! currently is unable to do so). :)

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by Mentality on 06-25-2006 at 02:18 AM

Cstom names is no loner a feature in MsgPlusLive since WLM already has it - it may be put back into a future version we don't know for sure yet though so don't count on it.

Again this is already built into WLM

The reason it might come back is because the WLM stops you being able to view what a person acually has set as their display name in the actual conversation window - and alot of people are not happy with this.

[update] Damn Mnjul you beat me again lol

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by alegator on 06-25-2006 at 02:23 AM

Oops! That's bad news!! Now I will have to reinstall old MSN and Plus! to write the contact's  custom names and then reinstall WLM and Live Plus! and manually enter them...what a pain in the ___!!!!! 

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by Mentality on 06-25-2006 at 02:24 AM

Unlucky matey - Have fun :P

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by cartera on 06-25-2006 at 09:29 AM

can i view the exported saved preferences of an older version in anyway? i need this cos i need to view the names in order to rename the users in WLM.

thanks

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by alegator on 06-25-2006 at 05:15 PM

Went back to MSN v7.5.0322, simply not worth the effort. I will wait for a WLM Plus! version that will include restoring ALL preferences from previous Messenger Plus! versions to avoid having to manuallly re enter hundreds of nicks+data into WLM.

RE: RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by CookieRevised on 06-25-2006 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cartera
can i view the exported saved preferences of an older version in anyway?
No

As stated in this thread also. Exported Preference Files are not compatible between Plus!Live and Plus!3. This is simply because most settings are totally different...

However. The first time you install Plus!Live, your old settings will be ported automatically to Plus!Live as far as that is possible (again, as not all settings are the same). Since their isn't a Custom Name Feature yet in Plus!Live, your custom names will not be ported over.

However, as soon as the Custom Name Feature is introduced back in Plus!Live, you could do the following:

1) Make a backup of your preferences of your currently installed Plus!Live version.
2) Uninstall Plus!Live and tick the option to also remove all your settings,
3) Install the new versiono of Plus!Live. If things are good, it will again port all the settings you had from Plus!3, hopefully including custom names.
4) Import back the preference file you've made in point 1 and import all the settings back

But this also means that in the mean time you should not remove the settings of Plus!3 (unless you also have a backup of those preferences, but then again, you still need to install Plus!3 in that case to put those settings back in the registry before starting the above method).

quote:
Originally posted by cartera
i need this cos i need to view the names in order to rename the users in WLM.
If you haven't removed Plus!3 yet, or you uninstalled while you kept the settings, you can view the custom names in the registry. But note that the contact emails are encrypted, so it might not be that usefull:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<.NET Passport>\Contacts
Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by kaiconan on 06-25-2006 at 09:42 PM

I am really sorry to know that Messenger Plus! Live Dont support "Rename" any more.

But would like to ask MSG Plus! makes some kind program which can print out or export rename for a list so that the people trans to MSG Plus! Live and WLM.

'coz many people like me has more then a hundred people contact list, This will be a big problme to us.

I believe that in that way the user of older ver of MSG Plus! can easier upgrade to New Ver of MSG or WLM.

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by Daniboy100 on 06-26-2006 at 10:13 PM

Any one knows if Messenger Plus Live will have this function in the near future?

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by VProg on 06-26-2006 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daniboy100
Any one knows if Messenger Plus Live will have this function in the near future?

Damn you people are so impacient! They said it MIGHT be in future versions. Untill then, just use WLM's feature!
RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by cartera on 06-26-2006 at 11:16 PM

Actually I only use to use MSN in order to add information to my contacts, as I have more than 200 contacts, so i can know who im talking to, So if the new version doent support it, I find msn useless...

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by alegator on 06-27-2006 at 08:21 PM

Cartera, I agree with you 101%. Renaming contacts and the capability to add info to each contact is probably MSN' s most useful feature.

RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus! by Voldemort on 06-27-2006 at 08:29 PM

I think you guys could like this script, see link:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=61...d=677191#pid677191