Shoutbox

Rename Contact feature - Gone? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Rename Contact feature - Gone? (/showthread.php?tid=61120)

Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 06-25-2006 at 05:31 AM

Hi everyone! In the previous versions of Messenger Plus!, there used to be a 'Rename Contacts' system, where we get to add our own nicknames to our contacts for easier reference.

But now, in Messenger Plus! LIVE, I noticed that this feature has changed. Although still usable, all of my previous nicknames are now gone. This is a very serious problem for me as I rely HEAVILY on the renaming system and have hundreds of renamed contacts, which will make renaming everyone ALL OVER AGAIN extremely difficult.

I also read another member's topic refering to this same issue. Therefore, I would like to request that the creator, Patchou, to please look into this matter and come up with a solution.

Thanks

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by R.J on 06-25-2006 at 05:35 AM

the reason that has not been included is because wlm now has a nickname feature like that, in the contact list, right click on a contact then go to "add nickname"

I hope that helps:)

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by x2zen on 06-25-2006 at 05:42 AM

Note that Patchou may bring this feature back if Microsoft doesn't improve theirs

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by qgroessl on 06-25-2006 at 05:43 AM

source?

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 06-25-2006 at 05:49 AM

Thanks for your words, everyone. But my point here isn't to ask how to add the nicknames again, I'm suggesting that Patchou come up with a solution as my previous contacts have too many nicknames already, which means it would be quite impractical for me to give more than 200 people nicknames all over again.

Possible solutions would be either to create a way to allow us to import our previous rename list from the old MSN Messenger, or to create this feature in the next update of Messenger Plus! LIVE so that the list can automatically be imported

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by ithasyou on 06-25-2006 at 07:01 AM

I think that it's necessary to include the "Contact rename feature" because the feature that includes wlm is a shit. If you rename someone, you can't see the original nickname that he had.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by R.J on 06-25-2006 at 07:03 AM

You can, just delete the custom name u had for them and it will then go to their default name:)

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 06-25-2006 at 07:03 AM

Well, yeah. That's another problem. I hope Patchou looks into this.

My suggestion > Replace the current 'Add nickname' feature with the previous 'Rename Contact' feature. It's more useful

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by CookieRevised on 06-25-2006 at 07:28 AM

The reason why the Custom Name feature has been depricted is indeed because Windows Live Messenger now has a Nickname feature.

During development, many beta testers also requested that the Custom Name feature would be brought back. Patchou is aware of this.

However, for this first release choices need to be made and it was not included. It is still possible that it will be added back in a future version though. Only time will tell.

The reason why the Custom Name feature of Plus! is far more usefull than the Nickname feature of WLM is because of one simple reason: With the Nickname feature of WLM you can not see the contact's orginal screenname, nor email, when you have set a nickname.

The usefullness of the Custom Name feature in Plus! comes from the fact that you could use the special tags (!N) and (!M) as part of the Custom Name to show the contact's original screenname or email. Making it possible to set custom names like: "John: (!N)" which would be seen as: "John: this is my original screen name"

If enough people vote on the poll to bring back the Custom Name feature (and if it is technically possible!!) I'm sure Patchou might speed up the development of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal note and without taking technical issues into account:

In short: There would be no need to replace anything...

Not so short: One way to integrate the Custom Name feature into the new Nickname feature is to simply add support for the (!N) and (!M) tags into WLM's nickname feature. This also means there is no need for extra control panels and such as WLM already provides this.

Though, there is one problem with this: Messenger Plus! needs a unique way to indentify names in the contactlist. Previously this was done by actually showing the emailaddresses instead of the screennames in the contactlist. Then Plus! could easly and uniquely identify each contact and replace the visible emailaddress with either a custom name or the screenname again. Hence what you was was a contactlist with (custom) names.

When WLM shows nicknames, there is no unique way to identify each individual contact in the contactlist as names are not something unique; two people can have the same name. Thus there is no way for Plus! to know who is who and thus can't replace the line you see in the contactlist with a Custom Name.

There is possible workaround though: Set the contactlist to show emailaddresses (like previously) and grab the nickname from WLM's own database. Put here is probably the catch: to be able to retrieve the set nickname (and thus also the "custom name") from WLM's encrypted files.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Colin-uk on 06-25-2006 at 07:56 AM

I tried to vote on the poll linked in the previous post, but because the thread has beenlocked i think, it wont accept anymore votes

it tells me i already voted, i try to undo it, it tells me i havent voted :P

I would also like to see the feature back in MPL :)

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 06-25-2006 at 07:58 AM

That's the spirit. Everyone! Please! For our sake, whether you use it or not, please help us out by voting it back!

@colin-uk > I know this might be a stupid question, but have you allowed cookies on your browser?

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by yorkie1990 on 06-25-2006 at 08:19 AM

I think it was locked. thats why you cant vote.:(

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 06-25-2006 at 08:26 AM

Nope, the thread is closed for posting, but the poll is still working. Try allowing the cookies from this board

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Schaapje82 on 06-25-2006 at 09:25 AM

Well I can't vote either but I really miss the function! Some of my contacts have such weird names, I don't know who they are anymore. I need to rename them. And sometimes they do have useful information in their names so I still want to see the original ones... This was one of the main reasons for me to use Plus! I don't use many of the other features.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by BAW on 06-25-2006 at 12:14 PM

This is the only thing missing for me from being happy with Plus and WLM, i  really miss the rename contact yet still being able to hover and see their current display name. Please bring this back...quick!!!!!

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 06-25-2006 at 02:00 PM

Yeah, please, Patchou.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by enriquevagu on 06-25-2006 at 02:10 PM

I also really miss it.

I was thinking on the possibility of a script that woul mimic the behaviour, but I think that it is not so simple, it would be really difficult to restore the previous renamed names (at least for a newbie).

I would thank it to be back!!!! Please!!!!

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Zayl on 06-25-2006 at 04:21 PM

Yeah I miss this feature too :)
Hope it will be in a next version or plug-in/script ;)

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by mummycool1 on 06-25-2006 at 05:48 PM

Hi all, well I'm with the majority it seems here. I would also like it back very much please. I like to able to see who is who at a glance but also like to be able to see the personal messages my friends often put in their names.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by - DCA - on 06-27-2006 at 02:24 AM

I really miss it too!

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by __smooth__ on 06-27-2006 at 02:37 AM

i just want to say i miss it too. just another opinion so you can see how many people want it back BAD =P

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by bartmdq on 06-27-2006 at 06:32 AM

i have 231 contacts, and i rename witch messenger plus! 70 contacts. :o:(

I think if somebody let me import the preferences to messenger live... or change the .pld to txt or other file compatible to copy / paste :( because i have 70 contacts to rename :( please help...

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Aeryn on 06-27-2006 at 07:07 AM

Indeed, I'm also one of the people who relied very much on the custom name feature, and have come to consider it an essential part of Plus. The renaming feature provided by WLM is a very lousy alternative to what Plus' feature offered, so I very much hope the latter will be brought back.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by bartmdq on 06-27-2006 at 07:10 AM

I really think to back to MSN 7.5 and messenger plus!... :(

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by squarehead0101 on 06-28-2006 at 01:03 PM

I've just downloaded the new Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus Live.

I too had renamed a large number of my contacts using the function under the old Messenger Plus and have realised that they haven't transfered across.

Whilst, I'd love it to be done automatically, I'd be happy just to find out what names I'd given all my contacts in the previous version I had of messenger - Is there a way this can be done ???

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 06-28-2006 at 01:16 PM

Yeah, the data is still in your comp. Just uninstall WLM then reinstall 7.5 and the old Messenger Plus!, then you'll see the old renames again.

Thanks everyone for supporting this. I think we should now have enough people supproting the bring-back of this feature to make Patchou think

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by sacch on 06-28-2006 at 01:42 PM

Well,

I think I have read many of this thread. My wy of thought is that because the decision made by WLM plus! is uncertained, I have to go back to both the old version of msn and msgplus.

Just wondering if Patchou have decided in what way is WLM plus! going to deal with this problem. I wish in whatever decision that WLM plus! is going to make, will be compitable with future WLM development.

However, if Patchou is worried about if his development is going to be replaced by WLM future development, then there will be no way to improve for WLM plus!, because furture is unpredictable, everything can happen.

A better way of doing this might be: to replace the current modification of users on WLM of their contact renaming parameters by the old parameters stored in his/her machine database, but if some new data is available in the current WLM, the program can popup a window allowing user to choose which data to preserve. I wish we will still have the abilitiy to show both our contacts' names and the names we given to them.

Finally, still have to thank Patchou's hard working on this brand new program. Thank you Patchou.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by asmith3006 on 07-03-2006 at 12:13 PM

The thing I really miss about the Plus! method of doing the contact renaming is that with the WLM version if you put contacts on the desktop then the nickname isn't used, just the screen name :( (although I'm happy to be proved wrong..)

Anyways, I can't be bothered to transfer all my old contact nicknames over, so I've gone back :)

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Sypher on 07-03-2006 at 02:19 PM

May i add something to this topic..

The way Microsoft does it is WAY more better!
Why? Because it's saved server side, so every where you sign in at a WLM version, no matter where you are, the names are allways the same..

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by nikosATH on 07-05-2006 at 09:35 AM

Personally I use 4 different MSN accounts... in total I have over 500 contacts (each account is for different "reason")
The only feature I used MSN+ was because I was able to remember who-is-who in this chaos... and now it's gone...
I certainly WON'T be using MSN+ in the future not only because the developers removed probably the single most important use of it for the majority of users but mainly because I feel cheated and left without support since I was never given the option to transfer this HUGE amount of work I have done over the years to the latest upgrade....
What has been done is a SHAME to all the people who trust and use "unofficial" software and plugins...
What happened with MSN+ must be a lesson to NEVER AGAIN use programs/plugins that are not officially Microsoft written and endorsed!

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by CookieRevised on 07-06-2006 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nikosATH
The only feature I used Msg+ was because I was able to remember who-is-who in this chaos... and now it's gone...
I certainly WON'T be using Msg+ in the future not only because the developers removed probably the single most important use of it for the majority of users but mainly because I feel cheated and left without support since I was never given the option to transfer this HUGE amount of work I have done over the years to the latest upgrade....

What has been done is a SHAME to all the people who trust and use "unofficial" software and plugins...
What happened with Msg+ must be a lesson to NEVER AGAIN use programs/plugins that are not officially Microsoft written and endorsed!
May I strongly note, again, as has been posted many times before, that nothing is removed!!!

Messenger Plus! Live is programmed from scratch. This means that not all features have been implemented yet from the start. It takes a while to put everything back into Plus!Live. Remeber that Messenger Plus! was made over a couple of years; it is very normal that not everything can be put back in in a total rewrite in just a couple of months.

PS: and it is MSG Plus!, not MSN Plus as that is an entirly different product nothing todo with Patchou.
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 08-09-2006 at 03:40 PM

Alright. From what we have read, it has been made quite clear to all of us that Patchou didn't REMOVE it, he just didn't ADD it. Please stop flaming him over this as it isn't actually his fault,

So, now all we can and SHOULD do it to try to convince Patchou that his old renaming contacts feature is one of the main reasons we use Messenger Plus, and that we would really appreciate it if he restored the feature AND the old parameters to our old renamed contacts so that we don't have to rename them all over again.

Once again, Patchou, I plead that the feature be restored. Waiting for WLM to make their move will not do us any good. Instead, you should be trying to impove your program by adding features which they don't have! The rename contact feature is Messenger Plus!'s trademark, so please restore it.

Go, PATCHOU!!!

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by sacch on 08-10-2006 at 12:54 AM

I thought everybody has forgot this thread already. Although I am so disappointed. However, I am still using 7.5 --- at least I have something to rely on.
The reason for not using new version is that I really don't want to manually move those contact names one by one. They are simply too many and error prone. Another reason is there are some plug-in's not available for the new version. For example,  StuffPlug-NG.
So... still waiting... waiting...

Anyway, waiting is not so painful. Hopeless is painful.
I havn't seen any hope on this "improvement" so far (as it is not a put-back function, it should be some kind of improvement).

All we can do is to wait.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 08-10-2006 at 12:59 AM

You got that right. It's already sour enough to not be able to use WLM, yet not getting response from Patchou regarding this feature, is MUCH worse.

Throughout the forums, I think that obviously this feature is among one of the most wanted. More importantly, we need our old renames to load in MSG Plus! LIVE so that we don't have to rename them all from scratch. We have hundreds of contacts, so renaming them all over again would be a pain, and unpractical.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by cloudhunter on 08-10-2006 at 01:24 AM

He's already said what he is going to say about it! He is first working on getting bugs irened out, THEN he will add new features... But for the moment, there is a WLM nickname feature. If he when he looks at it thinks he can do it better, he will... But as mentioned on numorous occasions its not a priority.

Patchou doesn't have time to answer every thread saying it's gone when yet it has been mentioned many times before.

Cloudy

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by bcpub on 09-02-2006 at 09:15 AM

Just to support this function once more!

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 12-13-2006 at 04:21 PM

I'm still supporting and awaiting a response on this. It may not come, but I can hope hard because I still can't move to Windows Live Messenger as a result of this.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 04-07-2007 at 02:03 AM

IHey all,

It's been a while since I've been checking out how things were going on around here. Has there been any developments towards this feature for Windows Live Messenger yet? To date, I am STILL stuck with MSN Messenger 7.5 due to this incompatibility. Is there any way that I can convert all my Rename Contacts databases to a format compatible with Windows Live Messenger or Messenger Plus! Live?

Thanks

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by markee on 04-07-2007 at 02:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Samanoske Akechi
IHey all,

It's been a while since I've been checking out how things were going on around here. Has there been any developments towards this feature for Windows Live Messenger yet? To date, I am STILL stuck with MSN Messenger 7.5 due to this incompatibility. Is there any way that I can convert all my Rename Contacts databases to a format compatible with Windows Live Messenger or Messenger Plus! Live?

Thanks
There is no easy converter I'm sorry.  The best solution I can give you is a pen (or pencil) and paper and write them down beside their email and put them in.  It'll take time but it'll be less than the time it has taken you to wait, it should be a couple of hours at the most (it depends on the size of your contact list obviously).
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 04-07-2007 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for the reply, mate. However, if you refered into the first few pages of this thread, you'd find that those of us suffering from this dilenma have an extremely plausible reason to ask for a better solution than renaming everything from scratch. Simply said, our contacts go by the thousands. ;) Could you imagine yourself copying thousands of sentences then retyping them in? It's possible of course, but definitely not practical. After all, we ARE using Messenger Plus! as a convenience, right?

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by markee on 04-07-2007 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Thanks for the reply, mate. However, if you refered into the first few pages of this thread, you'd find that those of us suffering from this dilenma have an extremely plausible reason to ask for a better solution than renaming everything from scratch. Simply said, our contacts go by the thousands. ;) Could you imagine yourself copying thousands of sentences then retyping them in? It's possible of course, but definitely not practical. After all, we ARE using Messenger Plus! as a convenience, right?
I realise that but it is the price you pay for having so many contacts in my opinion.  I doubt that anyone will help with this because everyone around here has dealt with it and does not require this assistance and the people who do are very few and it wouldnt be worth the time of someone to write something to do what you want.  It is more practical (because of so few people) that you just start working methodically through your contacts in your spare time and creating a list which you can later transpose over.  Personally I don't see the need for so many contacts and it would give me a great reason to do a cull so I didnt have as many names to write down.

You could always just copy and paste into a document as well if you find that easier.  Personally I don't like the changing between windows all the time.
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 06-08-2007 at 01:00 PM

So, what are we to do now. We have waited as requested, yet Microsoft has yet to show any interest in upgrading their crappy version of the 'Add Nickname' feature. And many of us here still await the ability and freedom to customize our contacts according to different styles and colour-codes, as well as keeping the actual nicknames.

Thus, I would like to plea, once again, to anyone listening and especially Patchou too. Please try to restore this feature from Messenger Plus!. Despite my past rants on not being able to transfer my old database, I'd be more than willing to totally rename all 500 of my contacts from scratch if this feature were to be graciously restored.

Thanks again. :)

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by IoZ on 08-30-2007 at 10:26 PM

I join to this request. I'm waiting since the first version of MSG Plus Live! was released.
I still use Messenger 7.5 with Plus 3.63, because I like to see customized and original contact names at the time.
Maybe this functionality will appear again in MSG Plus Live! 4.50 version? Can Patchou comment something about this?

Thanks!!

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 09-01-2007 at 09:24 AM

Yet another supporter to the cause, thanks mate. :) I'm still under the impression that no one else here has ANY interest of reviving this feature anymore? I'm still waiting as patiently as ever for this feature to transit to WLM. Do help, Patchou.

Thanks

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by IoZ on 09-01-2007 at 07:36 PM

I hope that Patchou (or someone talking in his name) will say us if he's going to implement that feature in the future, or we will not see it again.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by chihku on 09-05-2007 at 07:56 PM

Cannot agree more!!!!

quote:
The reason why the Custom Name feature of Plus! is far more usefull than the Nickname feature of WLM is because of one simple reason: With the Nickname feature of WLM you can not see the contact's orginal screenname, nor email, when you have set a nickname.

The usefullness of the Custom Name feature in Plus! comes from the fact that you could use the special tags (!N) and (!M) as part of the Custom Name to show the contact's original screenname or email. Making it possible to set custom names like: "John: (!N)" which would be seen as: "John: this is my original screen name"

Can you add this feature back?  Please~~~:$
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by JaCe88 on 09-13-2007 at 02:27 AM

*fingers crossed for a revival* Or at least a way to export the data from the Messenger Plus 3.x settings.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by AceyUnLtd on 09-13-2007 at 03:00 AM

I'd have to agree with the last 2 posts.

If bringing the settings and such from Plus! 3.x isn't plausible at least Custom Names feature making a return

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by aixerona on 09-15-2007 at 05:05 PM

i'm here to support this request, as for me it's really vital. i was ok with sticking to 7.5 just because this feature wasn't implemented in WPL but today something bad happened. messenger FORCED me to update. it would not sign on until i installed Live. I'm so, so frustrated at this point. I really wish Patchou would add this feature, it seems there is a pool of users already asking for it (from the looks of this thread, they've been asking for a year!

as you know, the microsoft "add a nickname" feature is basically crap. i can't just "add" the nickname to the user's name, i'd have to get rid of their msn name and add my nickname instead. which i never did with my 7.5 plus, what i did was left their name in and added my nickname in bold in front of me. nice, neat, tidy, and by the size of my contact list, necessary.

don't tell me "this is what you get for having that many contacts", what is that supposed to mean?  go and delete them? too bad so sad? come on, i'm just asking for a functionality that was already present in a program i've grown accustomed to and not implemented in an update i had to use, against my will.
please, please, help us out?

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 09-16-2007 at 04:21 AM

Thanks for joining the cause too, aixerona. :)

Anyways, first to solve your Messenger 7.5 dilemma, I got the same damn forced-upgrade notice too. However, there's a way to bypass the upgrade if you wanna stick to 7.5 and Plus! like myself.

- Go to Program Files / MSN Messenger
- Right-click the 'msnmsgr.exe' icon and go to 'Properties'
- Under the 'Compatibility' tab, choose to run messenger under the 'Windows 2000' compatibility mode, then select Apply and OK while Messenger IS NOT running in the background

- DONE! You can run MSN Messenger 7.5 once again, with no more forced upgrades.

Hope that helps. And worry not, it's not illegal to do so ;) It's just another reason for us to plea for this feaure in WLM.

Thanks

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by IoZ on 11-28-2007 at 12:34 PM

Old rename contact feature is not going to re-appear in MSG Plus Live 4.50, isn't it?

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by markee on 11-28-2007 at 01:04 PM

No.  The major feature is skinning messenger.  I think renaming contacts is a feature that may never come back... maybe at a later date if Patchou gets some ideas to make it a lot better than what it was, but apart from that I think it has had it's day and we will have to use the WLM attempt at this feature.

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by CookieRevised on 11-28-2007 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
No.  The major feature is skinning messenger.  I think renaming contacts is a feature that may never come back...
I want to believe it will still return, one day...

quote:
maybe at a later date if Patchou gets some ideas to make it a lot better than what it was
It couldn't be much better than what it was in Plus!3 IMHO. The wheel doesn't need to be invented again in that regards...

quote:
but apart from that I think it has had it's day
Far from it. I bet all my money on it that once the custom contact names are returned in their full glory (thus including the ability to add their original screen name with (!N) and/or their email with (!M)), extremely many people will use it again.

quote:
and we will have to use the WLM attempt at this feature.
Very unfortunatly... MS isn't going to include the ability to add their original name and/or email any soon.

And Pathou once said that when MS isn't going to improve the WLM nickname feature he is going to add custom names again... Patchou?
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by markee on 11-29-2007 at 12:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And Pathou once said that when MS isn't going to improve the WLM nickname feature he is going to add custom names again... Patchou?
In that case he should have had it in 4.00 because the WLM team already had it there and once they have a feature they're never going to update it.

I understand that Plus! feature was good and all but do you think Patchou might now wait to see if WLM 9.0 comes with a decent API to use like what is being rumoured and tries to link through that to get and alter this information?  That way then he only has to pass the strings when the contact updates their display nameand thats about it.

Also that comment about reinventing the wheel seems a little silly seeing as though Patchou recoded Plus! for 4.00, was't that itself reinventing the wheel for all those features?  Like I personally would prefer to see the functionality that tabs used to have and I feel it is more important than just improving a feature that is missing just one or two tiny things to make it complete in your view.
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by CookieRevised on 11-29-2007 at 01:16 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In that case he should have had it in 4.00 because the WLM team already had it there and once they have a feature they're never going to update it.
I couldn't agree more....

quote:
I understand that Plus! feature was good and all but do you think Patchou might now wait to see if WLM 9.0 comes with a decent API to use like what is being rumoured and tries to link through that to get and alter this information?
I hope not. The custom contact names is, for me that is, more important than skinning (not saying that skinning is crap, far from it, but custom names like in Plus!3 is waaaaay more usefull to me personally).

And I am 100% certain that once this is added back, extremely many people will be happy. Proof: see all the reactions when (!N)/(!M) in the custom names was added and the same amount of reactions when the custom names feature was removed in Plus!Live (exactly because WLM's nickname feature lacks the use of (!N)/(!M)).

quote:
Also that comment about reinventing the wheel seems a little silly seeing as though Patchou recoded Plus! for 4.00, was't that itself reinventing the wheel for all those features?
Ah, well not really... With reinventing the wheel I meant that the 'design' of the feature is already known. One already knows what it is suppose todo, how it should be, what not, what the possebilities are, etc.

quote:
Like I personally would prefer to see the functionality that tabs used to have and I feel it is more important than just improving a feature that is missing just one or two tiny things to make it complete in your view.
This is far from a tiny thingie which is missing IMHO (like unable to select 'name and email' in the desktop contacts, or unable to select more than 'busy' and 'away' in the personalised status window). It's the whole essence of the feature which is missing :(.

-----------------

EDIT (some thank you spam):
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I promise I'll add it back.
You're the coolest man....

I lub you... almost... ;)
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Patchou on 11-29-2007 at 06:13 AM

I promise I'll add it back, it's now obvious Microsoft won't do a thing about it. I'm just disapointed.

RE: RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by vikke on 11-29-2007 at 07:04 PM

quote:
I promise I'll add it back, it's now obvious Microsoft won't do a thing about it. I'm just disapointed.
We could always hope for Windows Live Messenger 9 to bring us this feature. But they probably doesn't care about it at all.
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by markee on 11-30-2007 at 03:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
quote:
We could always hope for Windows Live Messenger 9 to bring us this feature. But they probably doesn't care about it at all.
Since when did the WLM team care about what people wanted?  We can hope as much as we like but it's not like they will do it until they want it themselves.
RE: RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by IoZ on 12-11-2007 at 02:34 AM

quote:
Those are great news!!! I can't wait to test all features that have been incorporated since Plus! 3.63!!!
I only hope that MSN Messenger 7.5 still continue working until then.
Thanks a lot Patchou!!!
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 03-12-2008 at 10:22 PM

quote:

Thanks so much for finally noticing, Patchou. I guess it's already past a year I've been sitting here sticking to 7.5 waiting for an eventual release of Plus! Live with this features. Perhaps, now would be an okay time to put the feature back, mate? Please... :(

If you followed up on the requests over the past year, we've actually done numerous threads, even polls, and those of us who actually used this feature of yours REALLY want it back in Live. A converter or something simpler would be fine, just a way to let us in on the Plus! Live goodness too. HELP

Thanks
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 10-26-2008 at 03:29 AM

Well, it's been months since my last reply here, guess I'm back again to highlight this issue. As many of the other users who posted in this thread, I for one am still stuck on MSN Messenger 7.5, forced to find bypasses to Microsoft's day-by-day efforts to evict 7.5 users. WLM's been out for years and I'm still here.

Patchou, I'm sure you've heard this before but this feature has been an integral part of my Messenger-ing days since the day you put it in. Having been heavily dependent on this feature to identify and classify my thousands of contacts over the past couple of years, it's near nowhere near practical nor plausible to rename my contacts from scratch in the new yet crippled WLM environment, let alone practicing the memorizing habit.

My point here is simple, this isn't a feature that I, and I'm sure many others who share my dilemma have been, and will be able to drop just like that. I felt a great sense of relief when I saw your reply here promising us that very change, and I still hold you to your word till this day. As a loyal user, I beg of you to one day answer this plea. As of today, my MSN 7.5 has begun to show signs of failing, endless sign in cycles with no success. Perhaps, Microsoft has finally dealt the death blow, and if that's true, I'll be confined to web messengers until the day this feature can make its return to Messenger Plus! Live.

With all the sincerity in the world,
Samanoske Akechi

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by 2haerim on 12-13-2008 at 05:00 AM

I vote for revival of Rename Contact feature.

I still use MSN7.5 along with Messenger Plus's Rename Contact feature which is the utmost important feature.

I can't imagine without it any more.

Please bring the Rename Contact feature back as before.

RE: RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by trench on 02-08-2009 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 2haerim
I vote for revival of Rename Contact feature.

I still use MSN7.5 along with Messenger Plus's Rename Contact feature which is the utmost important feature.

I can't imagine without it any more.

Please bring the Rename Contact feature back as before.

Yes this is very much missed
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 02-09-2009 at 01:31 AM

And yet again, this marks the 3rd annual anniversary of this thread. And now not only have we missed the days of Windows Live Messenger 8.0, the agony continues with Windows Live Messenger 2009.

Patchou, we still patiently await the day this feature either returns as it was in Messenger Plus! 3.63, or at least, some form of a conversion tool to port over the thousands of renamed contacts we've be relying on to identify our contacts, to be compatible with the new Messenger Plus! Live. I remain optimistic for this, Patchou, and I will continue to wait for the day this is finally granted a solution.

Thanks again for reading this, Patchou.

Sincerely,
Samanoske Akechi

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Samanoske Akechi on 01-31-2011 at 02:25 PM

5 years and 7 months since I first opened this thread to make this request. Hi Patchou, I don't mean to impose. I still patiently await the day this feature finally makes it into MsgPlusLive. For now, I'll continue to live, as I always have, with the 6-year old MSN Messenger 7.5 and the deprecated Msg Plus! 3.63.

Thanks again, as always, Patchou.

Your loyal user,
Samanoske Akechi

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by Oxy on 01-31-2011 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Thanks again, as always, Patchou.

It's no longer patchous place, he's part of a new organisation known as Yuna Software :wink:
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone? by kamo061 on 02-01-2011 at 08:09 PM

Thanks for the info.