Shoutbox

log files in Chinese cannot be displayed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: log files in Chinese cannot be displayed (/showthread.php?tid=61124)

log files in Chinese cannot be displayed by xliz on 06-25-2006 at 05:42 AM

I have used msg plus! for more than a year, and at the very beginning, I used MSN Messenger 7.5 + plus 3.5, and I guessed I stored all log files with ANSI/MBCS format. After I switched to MSN 8.0 + plus 4.0, I noticed that all the log files which contain Simplied Chinese characters cannot be displayed properly. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks!

[Image: untitled4nv.gif]

RE: log files in Chinese cannot be displayed by Patchou on 06-25-2006 at 06:20 AM

Can you tell us what the problem is exactly in your screenshot? (appart from the misalignement, this is caused by the font used by Internet Explorer).

RE: log files in Chinese cannot be displayed by xliz on 06-25-2006 at 06:38 AM

Sorry for the unclear question above..

Two different encodings are currently used in displaying Chinese characters, GB (Mainland China) and Big-5 (HK and Taiwan). If a character in one particular Chinese encoding is displayed using the other one, then it will not be displayed correctly.

For example, a paragraph which is encoded by GB, when it is displayed with GB encoding, then you will see the correct display:
[Image: 017ss.gif]

if it is displayed with Big-5, then the following one will be shown, and it doesn't make any sense:
[Image: 028ul.gif]

What I am experiencing is quite similar to the above problem, so I believe it has something to do with the encodings, GB, Big-5, ANSI and Unicode etc.