Shoutbox

MsgPlus! Patch policy? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: MsgPlus! Patch policy? (/showthread.php?tid=61214)

MsgPlus! Patch policy? by NeuralTransmitter on 06-25-2006 at 09:55 AM

I have a question regarding the fact weither Patchou's policy for tweaks/features that require a patch of the Live messenger.

I have found how to bring back the small dp in the contact list, and I would be happy to submit it to the plus! software as an option.

So, what is the policy to this end?

Thanks!

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by Jellings on 06-25-2006 at 10:22 AM

i'm not sure about the policy.

but would it be able to be made as a Plus!Live script?

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by NeuralTransmitter on 06-26-2006 at 05:52 PM

No, it is not possible to write it as a Plus!Live script.

Anybody conclusive on the policy please? I would like to know wheither to release my first patch through mess.be or, leave it for the next Plus! as a feature (which I would prefer of course, in support of this great add-on of Patchou!!)

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by Graventhorp on 06-26-2006 at 05:55 PM

Oh, I'd LOVE that feature, I miss the small DPs in the contact list.... would this patch conflict with either the A-Patch or Plus! ?

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by NeuralTransmitter on 06-26-2006 at 05:57 PM

No, it doesn't conflict with any previous patchwork nor with Plus!.
I paid special attention when writing the patch to that very end.

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by Graventhorp on 06-26-2006 at 06:00 PM

Well, IMHO Patchou won't release a new version of Plus! for a little while, unless a big bug surfaces or something... so you could maybe talk to him about adding your nifty feature later, but release it as an individual patch in the meantime

RE: RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by NeuralTransmitter on 06-26-2006 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Graventhorp
Well, IMHO Patchou won't release a new version of Plus! for a little while, unless a big bug surfaces or something...
Well.... the quick icon's feature is something I long for very hard! So, perhaps I can use this as a bargain :)

just kidding ;););)

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by Graventhorp on 06-26-2006 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NeuralTransmitter
Well.... the quick icon's feature is something I long for very hard! So, perhaps I can use this as a bargain :)

just kidding ;););)

Quick Icon's Feature?
RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by NeuralTransmitter on 06-26-2006 at 06:10 PM

the "(" quick menu while chatting.

Nevermind :), we are getting of topic!

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by Graventhorp on 06-26-2006 at 06:12 PM

Ahhh, lol, yeah, that one IS missed, but it has been said that it WILL return in next versions

but I really think releasing your patch thingy while you talk to Patchou about adding it to the official Plus! is a good idea, you could get feedback about it

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by CookieRevised on 06-26-2006 at 07:10 PM

quote:
I have a question regarding the fact weither Patchou's policy for tweaks/features that require a patch of the Live messenger.

I have found how to bring back the small dp in the contact list, and I would be happy to submit it to the plus! software as an option.

So, what is the policy to this end?
It depends...

You better ask him personally (I'll PM the mail address)

But remember, there are already extremely many patches which change one thing to another, remove something or add something, just like yours. If one of such thing is added, it would be almost political correct that others are added too. And that simply can't be done.

Also, I think, everybody wants their patches to be included if possible....

And it's not because a handfull of people want to see the DPs in the contactlist again that it would be something liked by millions of people (if that was the case I'm sure MS wouldn't had remove that feature).

IMHO, it is better if you simply release this patch yourself or talk to the creators of MessPatch or A-Patch, they too would be more than happy to include this into their patchprogram.
RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by NeuralTransmitter on 06-26-2006 at 11:51 PM

thanks for your clear answer! I will soon submit the patch through mess.be.

RE: RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by bugmenot on 06-28-2006 at 07:47 PM

quote:

It would be nice if msg plus! Live included MessPatch. All it would need to do is install the exe someplace, and add a button labeled something like "more customisations" to the settings window. Mess patch takes care of exiting Messenger and restaring it when finished, so that is not a problem.

The fact that MessPatch includes a "patchou" profile implies that patchou does indeed support and even use that patcher.

So this is not as unlikly as it might seem.

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by CookieRevised on 06-28-2006 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bugmenot
It would be nice if msg plus! Live included MessPatch. All it would need to do is install the exe someplace, and add a button labeled something like "more customisations" to the settings window. Mess patch takes care of exiting Messenger and restaring it when finished, so that is not a problem.

The fact that MessPatch includes a "patchou" profile implies that patchou does indeed support and even use that patcher.

Plus! will never include exe's like that (appart from the optional sponsor). Also what messpatch does is something totally different than what Plus! does and how it does it.

Also, Plus! would become very bloated if it was included. Not to mention that some patches can cause many troubles (for Plus! and other addons).

And not everybody uses those patches anyways.

And why wouldn't A-Patch be included then, or patch x, or patch y, etc... etc...

It is very doubtfull that this well ever be done.
RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by Graventhorp on 06-28-2006 at 08:42 PM

quote:

I think I PMed you about it, but where is this patch? I can't find it in mess.be and I'm really interested in it.
RE: RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by bugmenot on 06-28-2006 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

Plus! will never include exe's like that (appart from the optional sponsor). Also what messpatch does is something totally different than what Plus! does and how it does it.

Also, Plus! would become very bloated if it was included. Not to mention that some patches can cause many troubles (for Plus! and other addons).

And not everybody uses those patches anyways.

And why wouldn't A-Patch be included then, or patch x, or patch y, etc... etc...

It is very doubtfull that this well ever be done.

Well, it would be usefull. Yes I realize that thy do not work in the same way. That is part of the reason why The patch programs can do things that Msg Plus does not offer. Plus! live contains 3 exe's written by Patchou.

Boated? Plus! live is over 6MB. MessPatch is 300KB.
The difference would hardly be noticable.

It woud make sense to only include one patching utility.
I chose MessPatch as it is the one I am familar with, and is generally around as complete as A-Patch.

Also, while you are right that not everybody uses he paches, there are ome tha are very nice. For example removing the "billing information" menu item, that has nothing to do with billing, but is instead contains links to worthless premium services.

Other nice features are the removal of the ads, the increase in the maximum size of personal messages, and a few other features that have general interest.

Currently A-patch appears to have very few feaures not found in mess patch.
Indeed there was not a single feaure in A-patch that I wanted that was not in Messpatch, but the reverse is not true.
RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by CookieRevised on 06-29-2006 at 08:54 AM

quote:
while you are right that not everybody uses he paches, there are ome tha are very nice. For example removing the "billing information" menu item, that has nothing to do with billing, but is instead contains links to worthless premium services.

Other nice features are the removal of the ads, the increase in the maximum size of personal messages, and a few other features that have general interest.
both kind of things which Patchou wont include (in fact he removed the ad removal feature) because he wouldn't want to comprimise the good relationship between him and MS. more here in that sticky thread: 'MSN advertisement banner' removal

RE: RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by bugmenot on 06-29-2006 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
while you are right that not everybody uses he paches, there are ome tha are very nice. For example removing the "billing information" menu item, that has nothing to do with billing, but is instead contains links to worthless premium services.

both kind of things which Patchou wont include (in fact he removed the ad removal feature) because he wouldn't want to comprimise the good relationship between him and MS. more here in that sticky thread: 'MSN advertisement banner' removal

Well The problem with that theroy is that Microsoft not only does not need to make any money on Messenger, but that they make very little anyway. Virtually nobody clicks on the ads down there. Generally they are just a pain, waisting screen space. Heck, that applies to damn near all of Messenger 8.

Messenger 7 was awful  wihout patching, and Messenger 8 is al but unusable without extensive patching.

I would figure that Patchou would appreciate the benefts that patching can bring, but perhaps I am wrong.
RE: RE: RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by CookieRevised on 06-29-2006 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Well The problem with that theroy is that Microsoft not only does not need to make any money on Messenger
Think again.
quote:
(...) but that they make very little anyway.
How would you know?
quote:
Virtually nobody clicks on the ads down there.
Maybe people don't even need to, it's called selling advertisement space...
RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by ZrednaZ on 06-30-2006 at 12:04 AM

I think it's fundamentally a nice idea - including a patcher that would remain passive until called by the Plus! user. The only problem is of course - as you mention, Cookie - Patchou's relationship with Microsoft. And I understand why he doesn't take this lightly as Microsoft have the ability to shut down Patchou's little business if they desire. Regarding this, I'm sure the patch creators would be willing to write a stipped-down version to be included with Plus - one that included everything except ad removal.

Then again, what's the point in including a stand-alone patcher in the first place if it can't even remove the advertisements.. hehe

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by NeuralTransmitter on 06-30-2006 at 12:26 AM

My original question was with regard to a feature that did not include any real infrindgements to Microsoft.

Removing an advertisement, obviously, is.

Having read the follow-up posts now, I must say, I do agree, NOT to include any special patches, as this is, in fact, a complete different way of approach than Plus!

Hence, my original question about Patchou's patch policy.

To conclude, I do agree, Plus! should NOT incorporate a patch program -- that's why they are there for anyway.

It is good that Plus! is 'only' being an add-on, more than patching around the dll or resources, I believe.

Not only does this ensure a good relation-ship with Microsoft, but, perhaps even more importantly for the end user: a stable add-on that will WORK under any circumstances.

Remeber that patching is ALWAYS at the end user's risk and own responsibility.

Good night! :)

RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by giken on 07-01-2006 at 01:06 AM

quote:

Good choice, I think the best way to promote your patch is to include it in MessPatch by mess.be ;)
RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy? by NeuralTransmitter on 07-01-2006 at 09:18 AM

Well, Rolando is going to include something similar he told me.

I am going to post the "manual" patch way later on on my site, but I found it more important to make an automated post, so that everybody can enjoy it.  Resources patchers generally figure these things out quite fast anyhow ;)