Shoutbox

encrypting messages - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: encrypting messages (/showthread.php?tid=61248)

encrypting messages by VaMPiRiC_CRoW on 06-25-2006 at 11:25 AM

Hi,

I would like to suggest that the developers, of Messenger Plus! Live, add support to encrypt messages while chating.

This is a very important feature that lacks on Live Messenger, and Skype already have this.

So, please tell me if this will be possible in the future.

Best Regards

RE: encrypting messages by markee on 06-25-2006 at 01:43 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Messenger Plus! Live do this (preferences --> messenger --> log encryption) or are you looking for something else?

RE: RE: encrypting messages by VaMPiRiC_CRoW on 06-25-2006 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Messenger Plus! Live do this (preferences --> messenger --> log encryption) or are you looking for something else?

I'm refering to encrypt the chat messages over the internet while we are chating...
RE: encrypting messages by markee on 06-25-2006 at 02:15 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I have never used the likes of Skype.  This does sound interesting but I don't think it would be too likely that your information you are sending in WLM would be read by any 3rd parties, but that's just my thoughts.

RE: encrypting messages by VaMPiRiC_CRoW on 06-25-2006 at 02:21 PM

Everything that you talk with Live Messenger can be viewed, since they are send as text, so any sniffer can see...

The same goes with files shared and calls...

ICQ also have this great feature.

Security and privacy are always important and interesting... ;)

RE: encrypting messages by VaMPiRiC_CRoW on 07-30-2006 at 10:51 PM

Any news about this request?

RE: encrypting messages by Menthix on 07-30-2006 at 11:52 PM

You could use the securePLUS scripts. But that would require both sides to have that script installed, which is quite annoying if you want a secure talk to everyone.

This is more something that Microsoft itself should implement as a well-done feature. you can always suggest it to them in the feedback form.

RE: encrypting messages by VaMPiRiC_CRoW on 07-30-2006 at 11:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, MenthiX ;)

RE: encrypting messages by hiqbal on 07-31-2006 at 12:15 AM

Microsoft should do that!!!

RE: encrypting messages by Adeptus on 07-31-2006 at 12:53 AM

Check out this.

RE: RE: encrypting messages by VaMPiRiC_CRoW on 07-31-2006 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Check out this.

I already tried that, but crash the Live Messenger :(
RE: encrypting messages by Adeptus on 07-31-2006 at 01:38 PM

quote:
I already tried that, but crash the Live Messenger
You could try to figure out why and fix the problem -- it works fine with WLM for me (and many others).

There was a period when the then-current version of Simp didn't support WLM, so if you tried it several months ago, during WLM beta, that could be all of your difficulty.  The version available now is WLM-compatible.
RE: encrypting messages by joemailey on 08-03-2006 at 01:16 PM

Well if M$ started encrypting messages. How would they filter certain stuff?

note if you send message with download.php in it it gets filter(are something like that not sure cant remember) but if defo happens i've test it.

encrypted messages would mean they'd have no access to do that.
If they could encrypt it and still filter ur convo's they'd also be able to see your personnal info(for whatever reason) lol personnal chat client no one should have access are rights to filter what you say. M$ do this.

Encryption is need ASAP simple text format over web there way behind. no point installing a seprate program because the other person will need it so it will decrypt ur messages if not then still be standard texts

RE: encrypting messages by prince01 on 08-19-2006 at 02:24 PM

For does of you that want to talk with friends, girlfriends, etc. with privacy and security, you can use the IMSecure Pro of Zone Labs (http://www.zonelabs.com). It is almost install and forget. You probably don't have to change any setting and you are protected! But!... the other person must also have the same program installed! Or your mensages to that person will not be encryted.

It's not free... but if you don't want to have other people seeing your text... it maybe a good solution.

RE: RE: encrypting messages by Andale on 01-10-2007 at 09:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Check out this.

I'm sorry for my English.

I have installed simp. But
1) it isn't completly freeware: to use it free, you must use a single protocol.

2) it isn't compatible with others application.

Some my friends, use gaim as IM client in this way, they can be connect to ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, MSN, Google Talk, IRC, etc.
gaim has a extension ( or plugin) that provide a encryption system, GPG Based, for every protocol (Except IRC)

Gaim and his extensions are freeware and opensource.

Why don't you develop a script compatible with it? :$
RE: encrypting messages by Nehemoth on 05-28-2008 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Hi,

I would like to suggest that the developers, of Messenger Plus! Live, add support to encrypt messages while chating.

This is a very important feature that lacks on Live Messenger, and Skype already have this.

So, please tell me if this will be possible in the future.

Best Regards

I vote for this one