Shoutbox

Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! (/showthread.php?tid=61423)

Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Patchou on 06-25-2006 at 08:50 PM

Hi,

many of you are currently reporting problems about sounds not working, commands not been recognised, quick texts failing, etc... most of these problems tend to be caused by Messenger patches that remove too many thigns from the Messenger interface (like Clean Messenger). If you're experiencing this kind of issue, please uninstall Windows Live Messenger, delete "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger" and reinstall it from Microsoft's web site.

[Edit by WDZ: Another possible solution posted by -!Felu!- here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?pid=678813]

I'm currently working on possible ways to make Messenger Plus! Live more "patch friendly" but in the meantime, remember to always ensure that you are using a clean Messenger before you report any problem.

Thank you,
Patchou

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Menthix on 06-26-2006 at 05:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
...these problems tend to be caused by ... patches ... like Clean Messenger...
quote:
remember to always ensure that you are using a clean Messenger
I know what you mean, but lol :p.

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Matti on 06-26-2006 at 06:29 AM

I guess people only should use patches to remove things which they really hate, like advertisements or pay services. It's stupid to remove a whole toolbar since Plus! perhabs uses it. ;)
* Matti hides his MessPatch... :P

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
...these problems tend to be caused by ... patches ... like Clean Messenger...
quote:
remember to always ensure that you are using a clean Messenger
I know what you mean, but lol :p.
Nice note! :lol:
RE: RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by CookieRevised on 06-26-2006 at 06:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
I guess people only should use patches to remove things which they really hate, like advertisements or pay services. It's stupid to remove a whole toolbar since Plus! perhabs uses it. ;)
It's not about removing toolbars; It doesn't matter what is being removed. The issue is that some patches remove things in the wrong way and cause trouble for other things. Even removing just the ads can cause this stuff (if not done properly).
RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by claudia87 on 06-26-2006 at 08:31 PM

I tried re-installing live messenger but it didnt change anything..
The command and colors aren't working and it only gives a "ping" sound if i press any of the buttons in the bar above the tekstarea

RE: RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Dizsi on 06-27-2006 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by claudia87
I tried re-installing live messenger but it didnt change anything..
The command and colors aren't working and it only gives a "ping" sound if i press any of the buttons in the bar above the tekstarea

I have these problems,too...i've been installed everything from official website but it didn't change anything
RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by superm4n on 06-27-2006 at 06:32 PM

yip same problem here, even the pull down menu's wont work...i hope this gets resolved soon.....

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Menthix on 06-27-2006 at 07:06 PM

Various people on the Dutch forum reported this problem too. I told them to uninstall wlm/mp!l and then do a freash install of both, but that doesn't seem to help for most. I think quite a lot of people have this problem right now.

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Patchou on 06-27-2006 at 08:32 PM

One other big reason found so far for all these problems: having an old (or recent) Smiley Central DLL if your Messenger directory. Uninstalling Messenger will not remove this file.

After uninstall Windows Live Messenger, make sure to delete "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger"before reinstalling, this has been proven to fix many problems from people emailing me.

RE: RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by claudia87 on 06-27-2006 at 09:19 PM

quote:
One other big reason found so far for all these problems: having an old (or recent) Smiley Central DLL if your Messenger directory. Uninstalling Messenger will not remove this file.

After uninstall Windows Live Messenger, make sure to delete "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger"before reinstalling, this has been proven to fix many problems from people emailing me.

Hej thx..that did it for me too :D I can live a happy life again ( :') )
RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Scorpys on 06-28-2006 at 03:24 AM

a new version of clean messenger is out :)
this version work with msgplus live :)

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Chausi on 06-28-2006 at 07:47 PM

Hello, I am german and so mine is not too good in english, is sorry me very much. I have problem with functions for single contacts in my list. If I am of use with "Purzel" (as example) everything are freely eligible functionally. With my boyfriend, however, not. Also if he is not invisible! What does this lie with? With all others function extras. But not with "tiger". :( Thank you for the help and is sorry me if I have landed now in wrong thema. :$

[Image: live.jpg]

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Menthix on 06-28-2006 at 08:52 PM

There was a person on the Dutch forum who reported the same problem as Chausi. Like the screens show, the problem is all Plus! options being disabled in that menu except from "copy emailaddress". But now they strange part:
- It only happens on a few contacts
- When you login with another account it doesn't happen at all
- The contacts on which it doesn't work don't ssem to have any weird characters in their name or anything

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Chausi on 06-29-2006 at 12:08 PM

Hello! However, I do not know why I have simply put on sometimes a new account and have imported my friends. Also did not go again. So I have extinguished "tiger" and have asked for anew. Now it does not go and with some other now any more. Solution: Extinguishing and new inquiry put. Nevertheless, thank you for your great help!

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by superm4n on 06-30-2006 at 12:57 AM

thx Patchou , workin fine now!! for me it was the smileys...

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Innit360 on 06-30-2006 at 06:26 PM

It still won't work 4 me i tried unistalling WLM and deleting the folder then re install ing WLM and reinstalling MSG Plus Live But it still don't work.

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Dizsi on 07-01-2006 at 04:35 PM

Hy!
I've only one question:if I delete this MSN Messenger directory my personal settings won't be deleted?So there will be all of my sets after I try this solution?
Thx the answer.
(sorry my bad english,but I learning it just...)

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by hosey on 07-04-2006 at 09:42 AM

yea i have had this same problem also!! i hope it after!!

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by ThePrincess on 07-14-2006 at 11:12 PM

commands don't work with the caracter "!" if I use an emoticon with it (ex: (!N) ) to make to command works fine i have to delete my emoticon for this caracter.

then,i set the preferences to save all my conversation in text format as usual,but it doesn't do it!!!!

too many problems....never had some with messenger plus....

probably it was too early to pubblicate a version of the patch for windows live messenger.....
what's that i have to unistall,to cancel some,to reinstall.... o_O

the patch can do 2 things: or it work good or it doesn't!
and in this case it's the second one. sorry.

i always been in love with messenger plus,and i didn't wanted to install the wlm until i saw there was a version of the patch for the new messenger,but you must admit this time it doesn't work. =(

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Nitemistress on 07-16-2006 at 01:54 AM

Ok, have read through here and the FAQ's, so far haven't seen anything that looks similiar soooo........

I'm wondering: am I missing the how or does the 'how' not exist to format your personalised away msgs? That particular part of the feature was one thing I liked..was able to stress certain points to the people I was leaving them for however am unable to do that now. I am running the latest versions of WLM and MPL..have uninstalled/deleted folders/reinstalled more times than I care to say. The format of personalised msgs is not the only reason for the UN/REinstalling though. The thing is, regardless of what I try they come up with the OLD format colour, no bolds, nada. (Don't even get me started on WLM 'now you see them, now you don't' shared folders LOL ) Any thoughts or suggestions on the personalised though would be great and thanks in advance!

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 07-22-2006 at 09:51 PM

Would this be the cause of my little problem? Whenever I restart (WLM) my saved login information, and custom emoticons are gone.

[nub]Pho3niX^ReBorN[/nub]

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by stu8975 on 08-03-2006 at 03:08 PM

as far as the built in sounds not working..in my case it was a simple case of renaming my custom emoticons so that the name didnt match the command name...eg..if you have a smiley that appears when you type ''hello'...you will need to change the name..eg ''hellooo'' so that the ''hello - built in sound command '' doesnt clash with it...try it it worked for me...no reinstalling and deleting stuff

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Belgarion on 08-25-2006 at 06:45 PM

I have uninstalled windows live messenger, then deleted every folder that looked like "msn messenger" then reinstalled WLM and messenger plus live from the officials websites but it still don't work....if someone has an idea....

PS: Excuse me if i don't speak english very well but i'm french.

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by j.mp.06 on 03-17-2007 at 01:23 PM

I unintalled WLM, Tried searching for a "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger" but I don't even have it on my computer. I then Re-Installed WLM and Plus! but that hasn't resolved my issue. I am currently on my mums sign on thing [You know when you first turn on your computer and you can log in as different people?] I installed it on my Mums Account and I'm glad I did cause now I can go on Plus! I would really love to go on it on mine though...

PLEASE HELP!

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Illimit on 10-21-2007 at 03:02 AM

I am having the same issue.  Thanks.

Illimit
Pure Consciousness
http://www.Illimit.com

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by elmarian75 on 12-17-2007 at 01:49 AM

the same happened to me, in my case there was too many scripts working.

as soon as i were deactivating them, i recovered the sounds and others functions.

saludos desde argentina [Image: rocknana.gif]

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Giacu Truss on 11-19-2008 at 10:19 AM

Hi guys. What I experience is this: whenever I use a custom smiley, either I see key sequence in my window and my chatting buddy sees the correct icon, or the opposite (I see icon and he/she sees the icon key sequence letters).
Maybe if I uninstall all and after deleting the messenger folder it will work, but my question is:
how can I save my custom smiley and avoid loosing them during this operation? I would like to use them again once everything is fixed! Thanks for suggestions.

RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read! by Volv on 11-19-2008 at 10:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Giacu Truss
Hi guys. What I experience is this: whenever I use a custom smiley, either I see key sequence in my window and my chatting buddy sees the correct icon, or the opposite (I see icon and he/she sees the icon key sequence letters).
Maybe if I uninstall all and after deleting the messenger folder it will work, but my question is:
how can I save my custom smiley and avoid loosing them during this operation? I would like to use them again once everything is fixed! Thanks for suggestions.
Custom emoticons are not stored in the Program Files folder and you will still have them after following the steps in the original post. That said, this thread is about problems with a few of Messenger Plus's features and not of Windows Live Messenger's features (such as custom emoticons), and furthermore since this thread is almost 2 and a half years old the instructions are a bit outdated as the new Messenger folder is located at "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger".
I'm not sure what the problem could be if this issue appears to occur randomly, perhaps a reinstallation of Messenger could solve the solution. Also make sure you have emoticons enabled in 'Tools > Options > Messages' (I think that's where it's located but I don't have access to Messenger at the moment so cannot confirm it).

If you have no luck resolving the issue I would recommend posting a new thread altogether as it is somewhat irrelevant to this 2 year old thread :p