Shoutbox

lvback - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: lvback (/showthread.php?tid=61438)

lvback by KMD on 06-25-2006 at 09:55 PM

Anyone else notice that their lvback.gif is sort of funny looking with WML? I looks like it is a bunch of small blocks put together, kinda like a puzzle:(

RE: lvback by matty on 06-25-2006 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KMD
Anyone else notice that their lvback.gif is sort of funny looking with WML? I looks like it is a bunch of small blocks put together, kinda like a puzzle:(
Thats due to the compression on GIF images. They only support 256 colours to begin with.

CookieRevised's reply to gif
RE: lvback by KMD on 06-25-2006 at 10:00 PM

Any work around?? .... same pic looked great with all previous versions of messenger.

RE: lvback by ins4ne on 06-25-2006 at 10:01 PM

i took a png pic of the new mpl logo and resized it to 250*220. i called it lvback.png, copied to messenger directory and renamed it to lvback.gif... its a very good quality pic without any 256color limits... is that a bug or just pure luck?

RE: lvback by ShawnZ on 06-25-2006 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
quote:
Originally posted by KMD
Thats due to the compression on GIF images. They only support 256 colours to begin with.

CookieRevised's reply to gif

i think he means they're pixelized...
RE: RE: lvback by CookieRevised on 06-25-2006 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hardc0re
i took a png pic of the new mpl logo and resized it to 250*220. i called it lvback.png, copied to messenger directory and renamed it to lvback.gif... its a very good quality pic without any 256color limits... is that a bug or just pure luck?
that's niether of them...
lvback.gif is just a hard coded fixed name.

If the image is a PNG, it will be loaded as a PNG, if the image is a JPG, it will be loaded as a JPG. It is designed that way. Note: you can use many other types of file formats too (incl. BMP, WMF, ICO, etc).
RE: lvback by Chris4 on 06-25-2006 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If the image is a PNG, it will be loaded as a PNG, if the image is a JPG, it will be loaded as a JPG. It is designed that way.
lvback.png and lvback.jpg doesn't work. Only lvback.gif ?
RE: lvback by CookieRevised on 06-25-2006 at 11:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If the image is a PNG, it will be loaded as a PNG, if the image is a JPG, it will be loaded as a JPG. It is designed that way.
lvback.png and lvback.jpg doesn't work. Only lvback.gif ?
As said, lvback.gif is just a hard coded fixed name.

An extension never ever defines what the file actual is. it can give a clue, but it never ever truely defines it. It is not because you change the extension of mpeg  movie to .DOC that it suddenly becomes a Word document. Another example: it is not because a file has the extension PLSC (plus script pack) that it isn't a zip-file anymore.

"If the image is a PNG it is loaded as a PNG" doesnt mean "If the file extension is .PNG..." ;)

The file which is loaded as a background is always named "lvback.gif", no matter what (supported) file format is being used.
RE: lvback by KMD on 06-25-2006 at 11:39 PM

Well I opend photoshop, saved the image as a png but named it lvback.gif and it would not show....... any other ideas??

RE: lvback by CookieRevised on 06-25-2006 at 11:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KMD
Well I opend photoshop, saved the image as a png but named it lvback.gif and it would not show....... any other ideas??
It works perfectly here (and with other people). Make sure you made a proper normal PNG image and that it was saved properly (photoshop is known to not really handle different image formats properly btw) and that you at least closed the contactlist. Other than that, no I have no idea, sorry...
RE: lvback by Reload2 on 06-26-2006 at 12:33 AM

I suggest you a better way: the way that hardc0re said. Take your png/jpg and rename it to lvback.gif without using any softwares and it will work perfectly with a great quality.