Shoutbox

Scripting IRC (Chat) Channel - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Scripting IRC (Chat) Channel (/showthread.php?tid=61646)

Scripting IRC (Chat) Channel by segosa on 06-26-2006 at 08:07 PM

The dedicated scripting channel that existed before has been dead for a while due to lack of scripters on IRC.

If you require any live help, it is recommended that you go to the Messenger Plus! help channel (#msgplus) on the MsgPlus IRC Server. Of course, if you don't have a question yourself, but are willing to help others, you can join the channel as well.

Server: irc.msgplus.net (port 6667)
Channel: #msgplus
Direct Link for mIRC

You can use mIRC or any other client of your choice to join the channel. If you don't have such a client, you can join using the webchat: just follow the instructions on the screen and choose to Enter support chat room.

For help on how to join the server, you can refer to sock's post containing IRC details.

Some quick rules and guidelines for the channel:

• We are not your slaves, so if you're impatient, we won't help you at all.
  • If you're rude to us, not only will we not help you, but you'll probably get kicked from the channel.
  • We are not a support channel for skins that you are installing/removing or having trouble with. We help you make the skins, and nothing else.
  • We are not a support channel for anything that has no relation to skins. Go to the proper channels for that.
  • We can not help if you don't tell us your problem. Using http://pastebin.com is recommended.

We reserve the right to kick/ban or be rude to anybody who fails to follow the above rules and guidelines. If you choose to be this way, you will not be helped.

Moderator edit: updated channel information
RE: Scripting IRC Channel by ShawnZ on 07-01-2006 at 10:51 PM

<segosa> shawnz can go post in it to break the ice

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by Jeffro on 07-02-2006 at 08:53 PM

irc://irc.msgplus.net/msgplus.script
Just click on the link above or past it in your urlbar. (works certain if you have mirc)

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by Agret on 12-03-2006 at 06:47 AM

Nice work on the IRC channel, people in there have been very helpful

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by beny333 on 01-13-2007 at 11:13 PM

thAy wouldnt help me last night

(N)8-)^o):(8o|:@

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by MattyRid on 01-13-2007 at 11:29 PM

For crying out loud, you can't expect everybody in that channel to help you. If they are busy you can't expect them to help. If they are asleep you can't expect them to help. And it's not like the bots can help you, they just make running the channel easier.Also, being pushy towards them won't help your cause either, no matter whether it is the scripting channel, help channel or chat channel.

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by Voldemort on 01-14-2007 at 01:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
Also, being pushy towards them won't help your cause either, no matter whether it is the scripting channel, help channel or chat channel.
Being rude won't work, you guys need to remember that no one gets paid for helping...
RE: RE: Scripting IRC Channel by beny333 on 01-14-2007 at 03:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
For crying out loud, you can't expect everybody in that channel to help you. If they are busy you can't expect them to help. If they are asleep you can't expect them to help. And it's not like the bots can help you, they just make running the channel easier.Also, being pushy towards them won't help your cause either, no matter whether it is the scripting channel, help channel or chat channel.

there were tons of people in that room somone should have helped me and if there to busy to chat no need to be in chat and no need to be there if ur sleeping(N):(:@^o)8-)8o|*-)
RE: Scripting IRC Channel by WDZ on 01-14-2007 at 03:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by beny333
and no need to be there if ur sleeping
People stay in there so they don't miss anything... they can read the chat log when they wake up. :P
RE: RE: Scripting IRC Channel by MattyRid on 01-14-2007 at 03:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
and no need to be there if ur sleeping
People stay in there so they don't miss anything... they can read the chat log when they wake up. :P

Quite right, and not only to mention that the way a person comes across can be a factor.

quote:
if there to busy to chat no need to be in chat

This comment is completely crap, because think what was to happen if they were going to be away for a hour? What if your checking emails? what if you have gone to get a drink and quickly check what's on TV? why close and open IRC again just because you going to be busy. The only time I may decide to close my IRC client is if I decide I'm going to shut down my computer for a while or if I'm going out for an extended period, like 4-5 hours or more.

Please oh please take this advice, look at all points of view before lashing out, it helps you a lot in the long run.

EDIT: also if it's what I think you were there for, they don't help you with using scripts either, nor does the regular help and support channel, in fact any questions about using a script or help for a script should go either towards the script developer via a Private Message or in the appropriate forum thread for the developer to read, that would be another reason to ignore you
RE: Scripting IRC Channel by randrews on 01-21-2007 at 12:11 AM

Well i go to sleep and dont leave rooms, but i will if people dont like it when i stay in there without being there phisically...

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by beny333 on 01-21-2007 at 04:38 AM

No it just bugs me when there's tons of people in there and no help at all

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by John Anderton on 01-21-2007 at 04:42 AM

Not everyone can be there to help you all the time. People have lives.

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by beny333 on 01-21-2007 at 04:52 AM

i mean when there is a "BIG LIST O PEOPLE IN ROOM" and NOT ONE ansers thats bull but w/e

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by John Anderton on 01-21-2007 at 05:04 AM

As I said, not everyone can be online. People might be working on other things or be afk.
That is why we also have a forum. Quite a few of those users might be connected via a bnc meaning that the bnc is always connected to the server even when the person isn't. People help you at their own convenience. Sometimes there isn't anyone to help you. You have to accept that.

Also, you have to be patient. Ask your question and wait. Its not necessary that you will get your answer immediately.
We also have a forum for the same reason. Ask your question here (in a new thread) and wait for a reply :) Shouldn't take long.

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by NiteMare on 01-21-2007 at 05:20 AM

quote:
i mean when there is a "BIG LIST O PEOPLE IN ROOM" and NOT ONE ansers thats bull but w/e
for $49.99 an hour, i'll help you right now, right away, i accept paypal.

for $0, i'll may help you when i have the time.

i'm sure meny people will agree
RE: Scripting IRC Channel by -dt- on 01-21-2007 at 05:52 AM

quote:
Im sorry but, if you were speaking the same way you are now i wouldnt expect anyone to want to help you
RE: Scripting IRC Channel by lizard.boy on 07-04-2007 at 01:21 AM

One important thing to remember about irc channels or forums, is that even if someone reads your question, it doesn't necessarily mean that they know what the answer is. The best bet is to be patient and see if someone can answer your question eventually.

Normally i wouldn't bump an older thread, but it's stickied anyways.

RE: Scripting IRC Channel by John Anderton on 07-04-2007 at 07:02 AM

And shouting and/or ranting about there being so many people and none helping you doesn't help your case because
a) Not everyone is online.
b) Of the people who are online, not everyone knows the answer.
c) Of the people who are online and know the answer, very few would reply if you have a bad attitude.

Thus going into an irc channel, your best bet is to say something like this:
"Hi. I had a question regarding <topic>"
"<insert question here>"
Now, as lizard.boy said, you should patiently wait. Maybe if you want, ask your question again in the same fashion in an hour or two so that the people who just came in or the ones who just came online can have a look at it.

Why do the members in the chan not browse up and read?
a) Most people ask questions and leave within 60-120 seconds (ie are impatient)
b) Some people are connected via bncs which basically means, you will see them as online even when they aren't and when they do come online, they usually don't keep logs of previous activity.

Thus to sum up, ask your question kindly and wait patiently for an answer. Being impatient/rude never helps your case :)