Shoutbox

Tabbed chat BUG. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Tabbed chat BUG. (/showthread.php?tid=61698)

Tabbed chat BUG. by smn on 06-27-2006 at 03:46 AM

After I add a nickname to a contact, the chat window can show the nickname specified by me correctly if window is not tabbed.

But if it's tabbed, the tab will show the original contact name not that one specified by me. I think it'd be a BUG.

Secondly, I want a new feature, let user choose whether or not show contact email account on chat window. Thank you very much for your attention! I like this software.

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Grue on 06-27-2006 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smn
After I add a nickname to a contact, the chat window can show the nickname specified by me correctly if window is not tabbed.

But if it's tabbed, the tab will show the original contact name not that one specified by me. I think it'd be a BUG.

Its not a bug yet a limitation. As far as I know there is no way for Messenger Plus to get the nickname you specified in WLM so therefore it cannot be displayed on Msg Plus's tabs.
RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Chestah on 06-27-2006 at 05:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Grue
Its not a bug yet a limitation. As far as I know there is no way for Messenger Plus to get the nickname you specified in WLM so therefore it cannot be displayed on Msg Plus's tabs.

At this stage yes that is correct. :)
RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Tordne on 06-28-2006 at 04:37 AM

Even if you have set a Nick Name in Messenger Live Plus that name is still not used on the Tabbed Chat :(

IMO if a Nick Name has been set it should be used on the Tabbed Chat..  Enhancement please :)

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by RaceProUK on 06-28-2006 at 11:25 AM

I swear if one more person reports this as a 'bug', then wants it 'fixed', I'm gonna scream.

I'll say this one more time: When Patchou can retrieve the nicknames, he'll use them!

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Dommedagsprofet on 06-28-2006 at 05:56 PM

But then again it's strange that he dropped the feature of custom nicknames in Plus! itself, as it then actually is in the palm of Plus! and could be put in the tabs and other places of interest? I forgot, was this possible in the last version of Plus! and 7.5?

BTW, how's the "cooperation" between Microsoft and Patchou if they couldn't agree on this one?

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Tordne on 06-28-2006 at 06:40 PM

There appears to be a Nick Name in Messenger Live, and a Nickname in Live Plus!

So given that the Nickname is a Live Plus! addition and field then that should be able to be displayed on the Tabs without to much issue.

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Dommedagsprofet on 06-28-2006 at 08:02 PM

Isn't the nickname feature in Live only in the main program and not in Live Plus!? I mean, yes, you can add your own colors and stuff, but that's the only interfering from Plus! side... For example, when I added custom nicknames on one computer, they followed me to another computer. So that's only in the main program, and the problem seems to be that it's hard retrieving the nicknames from Live to Plus!.

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Tordne on 06-28-2006 at 09:42 PM

To me it looks that the Nick Name is a Messenger Live feature, and like you say follows you from computer to computer.

The Nickname (notice no space) seems to be a Live Plus! feature.  I am also using Desktop Contacts and originally they had the Messenger Live name (not the Nick Name).

So I right clicked on the Desktop Contact and clicked "Set Nickname..." and entered the name I wanted shown.

This is why I think that the Live Plus "Nickname" should be able to be displayed on the Tabbed Chats.

Don't get me wrong.  I absolutely love this Live Plus!  This will just round it out that little bit.

I am also hanging out for the new Screen Scot Sender script, that will be awesome too!

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Chestah on 06-28-2006 at 09:44 PM

Messenger Plus! Live has no "Nickname"/"Rename Contacts" feature. It was not added as Windows Live Messenger now has this feature (albeit it very limited).

Patchou may add it back in a future version if Microsoft don't improve their own custom names feature.

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Tordne on 06-28-2006 at 09:51 PM

Why can I set a Nickname on a Live Plus! Desktop Contact then?

In the registry under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<email address>\Contacts\<*>" there is a string value called "FloatNickname"

So clearly it does have a Nickname feature of sorts!  That Nickname is what I think should be available on the Tabbed Chat if set.

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by RaceProUK on 06-28-2006 at 11:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tordne
In the registry under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<email address>\Contacts\<*>" there is a string value called "FloatNickname"
Which I believe would be the name used in the Desktop Contacts feature.
RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by jnfsmile on 06-29-2006 at 01:06 AM

Two different nicknames.
One is WLM's, the other the floating NN for MPL.

I have a different problem with tabbed chats, I use an RTL interface, and the option is disabled.
When can that be fixed?

(RTL with the WLM, even when MPL isn't)

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Tordne on 06-29-2006 at 01:07 AM

Correct.  That Registry key is for the Desktop Contacts.  But if you have set the Nickname in Plus! Live it could also be used on Tabbed Chats, in lieu of not being able to access the Messenger Live Nick Names at the moment.

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by jnfsmile on 06-29-2006 at 01:09 AM

A general Plus! nickname. Why not?

But why not take the WLM nickname, they hid it too well?

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by GeoDude on 06-29-2006 at 09:39 AM

When I use Tabbed Chat and lower the whole window into the taskbar, then when a message arrives it will blink yellow but... you see the name of the last chat where you would like to see the name of the user that just sent his message. This was OK in the latest Messenger Plus but is not OK in the 4.0.0.235 version of Messenger Plus! Live. Is this something other people also recognise?

RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by RaceProUK on 06-29-2006 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jnfsmile
I have a different problem with tabbed chats, I use an RTL interface, and the option is disabled
I believe it's the same limitation as the one that afflicted Plus! 3's tabbed chats: there's no difficulty with LTR, but RTL changes something that screws tabs up too much.
RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by Noster on 06-29-2006 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GeoDude
When I use Tabbed Chat and lower the whole window into the taskbar, then when a message arrives it will blink yellow but... you see the name of the last chat where you would like to see the name of the user that just sent his message. This was OK in the latest Messenger Plus but is not OK in the 4.0.0.235 version of Messenger Plus! Live. Is this something other people also recognise?

same thing here too. keep up the good work :)
RE: RE: Tabbed chat BUG. by zeddman on 07-11-2006 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GeoDude

Yes! And it is really a problem because the chat window is usually behind a number of other windows and I rely on the taskbar indicator to know who is responding.