Shoutbox

[question] Writing DLLs in .NET languages - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [question] Writing DLLs in .NET languages (/showthread.php?tid=62055)

[question] Writing DLLs in .NET languages by can16358p on 06-29-2006 at 08:02 PM

Maybe it's just dumb, as I'm still dumb on programming. (with a little C++ and VB.NET knowledge)

I know a user has to have .NET Framework installed to run an application written using .NET, the question is, is it the same way for .NET DLL's too?

I have VS.NET 2005 installed and I don't want a DLL I will write for Messenger to require .NET Framework to be installed?

How should I do that? (or is there a way except installing an older version)
Why aren't these IDEs backwards incompatible?

//sorry, forgot the title :)

RE: [question] Writing DLLs in .NET languages by ShawnZ on 06-29-2006 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by can16358p
I have VS.NET 2005 installed and I don't want a DLL I will write for Messenger to require .NET Framework to be installed?

Well the DLL is in .NET code, and without the framework which gives you the ability to use .NET code, you can't exactly use the dll...

For the record, they aren't really DLL's either. They're just .NET apps without an entry point set and renamed to .dll.
RE: [question] Writing DLLs in .NET languages by RaceProUK on 06-29-2006 at 09:31 PM

It is possible, however, to create a .NET DLL with native exports (a mixed DLL). So, a pure .NET DLL is a DLL, just with no native exports.