Shoutbox

[Request] Emoticon Blocker - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Request] Emoticon Blocker (/showthread.php?tid=62086)

[Request] Emoticon Blocker by stephen_wq on 06-30-2006 at 04:16 AM

I want something that will let me right click on any annoying emoticon, and click block. All it does is filter it back into the original text that was used, perfect for those people who use lol as the shortcut for a picture that gives you an epileptic fit.

RE: [Request] Emoticon Blocker by rob_botch on 06-30-2006 at 07:35 AM

That would, indeed, be useful. People who use normal text without brackets or asterisks etc. for emoticons really annoy me. There has been a previous post about blocking all of these, but I'm not sure how far the poster got with his/her script.

RE: [Request] Emoticon Blocker by ramik on 06-30-2006 at 07:49 AM

Maybe it was me, but rumors say the only way is though dll with hooks to msn, which is a thing that i've never done before, I do best with scripting with jscript and co....

RE: [Request] Emoticon Blocker by rob_botch on 06-30-2006 at 07:52 AM

Well, there is a MsgPlus.RemoveFormatCodes function that removes some special codes. I'm not sure whether it would remove emoticons though. I suppose you could use that function and then replace the emoticons in the message. Another problem is that you can't change the message to anything longer than the original message. I'm not sure whether an emoticon counts as one character or as many as the code behind it was.

Hope this helps!

RE: [Request] Emoticon Blocker by ramik on 06-30-2006 at 07:57 AM

I tried to replace the chars with the same chars, but the emoticons were still there, and REmoveFormat does not work either.

it seems that mpl send only yhr puretext to the Scripts, and when it gets it back with the RETURN wlm will apply the emoticons... not before...

an idea is to remove the letters with the emoticons, but in the Script we don't know where emoticons are, a string "abcdefg" doesn't say what char will be converted to emoticons...

it need to be done with something at a lower level than Scripts...

RE: [Request] Emoticon Blocker by rob_botch on 06-30-2006 at 07:59 AM

You could build up a list of emoticon commands to be blocked, with a replacement. Then, when the emoticon is sent, the emoticon text is replaced with the "safe" text. Not a perfect solution, but it would work in basic circumstances.