Shoutbox

[HowTo] Change Shared Folder location - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: [HowTo] Change Shared Folder location (/showthread.php?tid=62105)

[HowTo] Change Shared Folder location by rh on 06-30-2006 at 09:41 AM

Hi,

if you are like me, then you are extremely annoyed by the fact that Windows Live Messenger will always locate the contents of the Shared Folders on drive C:\ and in an annoyingly deep directory structure.

I found out how to change this, and e.g. place the files on another drive D:\ or at any other location you like.

For details visit http://msgplus.zwobot.com and scroll to the bottom.

Regards,
rh

RE: [HowTo] Change Shared Folder location by Chris4 on 06-30-2006 at 10:25 AM

Ok.. thanks.

RE: [HowTo] Change Shared Folder location by Neon on 08-04-2006 at 05:03 PM

how do i remove it.. ? i hate it

RE: RE: [HowTo] Change Shared Folder location by TheSteve on 08-06-2006 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Neon
how do i remove it.. ? i hate it

quote:
Posted at System Internals
If you want to create or delete a junction, use Junction like this:

Usage: junction [-d] <junction directory> [<junction target>]

To delete a junction specify the -d switch and the junction name.

When using this method keep in mind that you're not actually moving the folder. So if you doing it because of space restrictions on drive C then it doesn't change anything.
RE: RE: RE: [HowTo] Change Shared Folder location by rh on 08-06-2006 at 12:41 PM

quote:
When using this method keep in mind that you're not actually moving the folder. So if you doing it because of space restrictions on drive C then it doesn't change anything.

depends on the "direction" you do it... i personally let the folder which is located on C point to a folder on D, so that in this case it DOES remove size limitations on C.

my motivation is, that i regularly kill drive C and reinstall windows, while keeping all data on D.

if you do it "the other way round" of course you're right.
RE: [HowTo] Change Shared Folder location by prashker on 08-06-2006 at 03:48 PM

OOh this is pretty cool (y)

* prashker tries

works :D

RE: [HowTo] Change Shared Folder location by Lourix on 08-06-2006 at 07:06 PM

Very helpful ty.

RE: [HowTo] Change Shared Folder location by King_Pin_Rich on 10-09-2007 at 11:35 AM

Hey all,

So i need to move my shared folder to another partition to save space on my C: drive, is this possible with the juntion tool?