Shoutbox

Message Scroller v0.3 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Message Scroller v0.3 (/showthread.php?tid=62121)

Message Scroller v0.3 by Mike on 06-30-2006 at 01:09 PM

This script displays a window when someone sends you a message wich has the message the user sent you, so if it is a non-important message, or if you are chatting with someone and you are typing a message, and someone else sends you a message, and if you don't want to change window to see what that user typed, you can use this script to see what the other user typed, without changing windows.
The idea was from an addon for old MSN Messenger Versions called "Message Scroller" too (the name is also the same)
The official site for that addon is here: http://www.cramon.dk/messenger.htm
As you can see, this script doesn't really look like that addon, because it's new, but I hope that I will continue development of this script to make it look like that addon.

If you need to close the window, just double click on it.
Double clicking it, will close it, and set the foreground window the chat that the message was received from.

Screenshot:
[Image: scroller.PNG]

Website

Scripts DB website

Download Now!

Do you think this script is worth the Script DB? :P

Script package created with Dempsey's Script Packager.
Let's hope that he will complete his Window Designer program, so I can continue development in this script :P

30/06/08: Message Scroller is now 2 years old!
Happy birthday! (^)

30/06/07: Message Scroller is now 1 year old!
Happy birthday! (^)

19/12/06: Version 0.3 released!
Same link.

What's new?
Finally added a configuration window!
In the config window, you can access these options:
1) Enable Message scroller - When checked, the Message Scroller windows will appear.
2) Do not show Scroller when my status is set to busy - Message Scroller will not show up when your status is set to busy.
3) Do not show Scroller when Messenger is locked - When you have WLM locked and this option, the scroller window will not show up when you receive messages.
4) Do not show Scroller when a chat window has focus - When this is enabled, the scroller will not appear if a chat window has currently focus. It doesn't matter if that window is from another WLM instance.
5) Automatically dismiss scroller after X ms - This can be a value from 100ms to 86.400.000ms (one day) If you would like not to use this option, just put 0 there.
6) Scroller Window transparency - A value from 20 to 255 where 20 is hardly visible and 255 is opaque.
Added /scrollerenable and /scrollerdisable commands.
Focus is given back to the window which had it after the scroller window appears.
Added a small about dialog.
Various small bug fixes.

21/07/06: Version 0.2 released!
Same link.

What's new?
Uses Plus!'s XML interface engine now, which is a lot nicer, thanks to Matty. That means that no DLLs are now needed.
The position of the scroller window is remembered when it's closed, and it is restored to that position when a new message is received.
You now need to click a "Switch" button instead of double clicking the window. This is done since of a limitation (there is no double click event on the window)

Known Bugs:
The scroller window loses the Windows XP dragging window effect if a WLM window isn't shown on the screen.
This has something to do with the Always on Top code, but I still haven't figured out what...
RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by benjyrama on 06-30-2006 at 07:25 PM

sorry but how the hell do you use this??

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by Zahid™ on 06-30-2006 at 07:29 PM

You download the file and import it into MsgPlus Live and then configure it.

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by benjyrama on 06-30-2006 at 07:30 PM

how do u configure it? it doesnt appear in the dropdown list in conversation windows

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by [Shadow] on 06-30-2006 at 07:38 PM

Just tested it. Works great! And it's helpful.

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by Mike on 06-30-2006 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
You download the file and import it into MsgPlus Live and then configure it.
quote:
Originally posted by benjyrama
how do u configure it? it doesnt appear in the dropdown list in conversation windows
He is right.
There is no configurate option (yet).
quote:
Originally posted by benjyrama
sorry but how the hell do you use this??
Install/Enable this script.
When someone sends you a message a window appears which has the Nickname from the user that sent the message, and the actual message. (Check Screenshot)
This doesn't happen however when the message received comes from the active window, because it would be useless then.

This can be also used as a script that you can see what other users are saying when you have messenger locked.
However, this won't "out of the box".
It's very easy to make it work: Go to Plus! Preferences -> Make sure that you are on the General tab -> On the left side, click Scripts -> Select Message Scroller -> Click Edit
On the window that appears find out the following lines:
code:
function OnEvent_MessengerLocked()
{
    if (MessageScroller)
    {
        MessageScroller.Uninitialize();
    }

WLMLocked = "1";
}
When you find it, just delete it, and save the script.
Now, even when Messenger is locked, messages will display (but you won't be able to reply unless you unlock messenger)

Hope you understand it a bit better :P
quote:
Originally posted by [Shadow]
Just tested it. Works great! And it's helpful.
Thank you! :)
RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by prashker on 06-30-2006 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
If you need to close the window, just double click on it.
Double clicking it, will close it, and set the foreground window the chat that the message was received from.

hah :P didn't read that

Wondered how to close it

very good script and useful (y)

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by Thor on 06-30-2006 at 08:42 PM

Good script! (Y)

Keep up developing. :

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by lizard.boy on 06-30-2006 at 08:54 PM

Needs a bit of refining, but i'm liking this concept. Keep it up. (Y)

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by rockmanneo on 06-30-2006 at 11:04 PM

useful script! good work (Y)

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by Mike on 07-01-2006 at 05:17 PM

I'm glad you like it :)

Matty is currently helping me create the script without using a seperate DLL, which will be a little hard for me, because I totally suck in jscript :P

I would have liked to still use a DLL for the above reason, but I must admit that it looks cool with WLM style windows (H)

Anyway, I think that I'll submit this to the script database... :)

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by Sypher on 07-01-2006 at 09:25 PM

Nice idea, i like it but a few minor points /suggestions:
- I can type in the window... Is that meant to be? :P
- Is it possible to hide (button? rightclick? automaticly?) the window
- Is it possible to react from there, directly to the last person who said something to you?

RE: [Release]Message Scroller v0.1 by Jimcando on 07-01-2006 at 11:30 PM

The message box doesn't disappear for me :S

Anyway to stop this or close it myself?

Damn, didn't read the first post probably :P

But I think it should disappear automatically after a set amount of time...

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Mike on 07-20-2006 at 11:04 PM

21/07/06: Version 0.2 released!
Same link.

What's new?
Uses Plus!'s XML interface engine now, which is a lot nicer, thanks to Matty. That means that no DLLs are now needed.
The position of the scroller window is remembered when it's closed, and it is restored to that position when a new message is received.
You now need to click a "Switch" button instead of double clicking the window. This is done since of a limitation (there is no double click event on the window)

Known Bugs:
The scroller window loses the Windows XP dragging window effect if a WLM window isn't shown on the screen.
This has something to do with the Always on Top code, but I still haven't figured out what...

Special thanks to Matty for designing the scroller window, and some other code help :)
I will submit this to the script DB tommorow... |-)

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Apola Silverstone on 07-20-2006 at 11:28 PM

umm i cna't find the part that i need to delete to make it work when msger is locked, can you help me?

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by rockmanneo on 07-21-2006 at 12:04 AM

Thanks for the update :D
Seems the double click is not working anymore? EDIT: nevermind, didnt read the release note. Hmm but why did it work before (v0.1)?

I have some suggestion:
- GUI :P
- Right click to dismiss
- Add an option so that msg only pop up when at least 1 WLM window is active. I dont like to be doing something else and msg scroller keeps poping up on me
- Option to go back to previous chat window after replying the pop up msg, if possible

Looking forward for your updates!

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by milkbox on 07-21-2006 at 01:09 AM

Is it possible to have an option to show the scroller only when the chat window is minimized?  That would be nice. :)

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by lizard.boy on 07-21-2006 at 02:39 AM

Just my suggestions:

• 1 Howabout a configuration window that would let us choose the transparency of the window?
  • 2 A way to make the window stop jumping around when different contacts say things
  • 3 A simple way to turn the script on/off, even though you can just disable it

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Mike on 07-21-2006 at 08:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Apola Silverstone
umm i cna't find the part that i need to delete to make it work when msger is locked, can you help me?
Find at line 63 this code:
code:
function OnEvent_MessengerLocked() {
    WLMLocked = true;
    if (pMsgWnd != undefined) {
        pMsgWnd.Close();
    }
}
and delete it.
However, I don't know if this will show the scroller window when WLM is locked...
The reason is, I dont know wether Plus! allows scripts to create windows when WLM is locked...
With some testing I did, it seems that sometimes the window is created, and sometimes, it doesn't.
It would be nice if you could test it a little, because I'm thinking to add this as a feature... :)

quote:
Originally posted by rockmanneo
Seems the double click is not working anymore? EDIT: nevermind, didnt read the release note. Hmm but why did it work before (v0.1)?
The reason that it worked before is that I used an external DLL made in Visual Basic.
Visual Basic did forward the double click message to my DLL, so, my DLL knew that the user double clicked the window, and it performed the coded actions...
I think it is possible to do it by a DLL coded in C++ which subclasses the scroller window. It will be able to receive all the messages the window is receiving (the window is receiving the messages, but Plus! doesn't forward them to the script) and tell the script that the window was double clicked, but I think that it is too much work for nothing (and I also don't know C++ :P)
quote:
Originally posted by milkbox
- GUI (Smilie)
Yes, it is on my to-do list :)
However, I dont know what options to put there :P
I think about putting the option to show the scroller window when WLM is locked, and a transparency control thingy.
Oh, and something to enable/disable the scroller window without having to disable the script...
quote:
- Right click to dismiss
Plus! forwards the click event to the script, but it doesn't forward the mouse button that was pressed...
So, it's not possible... :(
quote:
- Add an option so that msg only pop up when at least 1 WLM window is active. I dont like to be doing something else and msg scroller keeps poping up on me
Yes, this is possible :)
When you say WLM window, do you mean only the chat window?
Or the contact list too, the preferences window etc?
quote:
- Option to go back to previous chat window after replying the pop up msg, if possible
This is possible :)
quote:
Originally posted by milkbox
Is it possible to have an option to show the scroller only when the chat window is minimized?  That would be nice. (Smilie)
The scroller window should only appear if the focused window is not the chat window which the message came from...
But I think you mean to not show the window if the chat window is visible on the screen, but not focused?
If this is what you mean, then, I don't think that this is possible... :(
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
1 Howabout a configuration window that would let us choose the transparency of the window?
This is on my to-do list :)
To manually change the transparency, find line 94, and change "180" to something from the range 0 ... 255 (0 is totally invisible and 255 is totally opaque)
quote:
2 A way to make the window stop jumping around when different contacts say things
Hmmm...
What do you mean?
quote:
3 A simple way to turn the script on/off, even though you can just disable it
This is on my todo list :)
RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Kenji on 07-21-2006 at 09:38 AM

Cool, works good:P

well done:P

WOO 100th POST GO ME :clap:

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Thor on 07-21-2006 at 09:50 AM

Great update, good work Mike2. :)

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by qgroessl on 07-21-2006 at 02:39 PM

I wanna get it... but it downloads into a zipped file for some reason?...not the plsc or whatever most of them are.

RE: RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by rockmanneo on 07-21-2006 at 09:38 PM

quote:

quote:
Yes, this is possible :)
When you say WLM window, do you mean only the chat window?
Or the contact list too, the preferences window etc?

I prefer just the chat window..

Better get that GUI running since you know there is a lot to put inside now :P
RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by AberNStein on 07-21-2006 at 09:57 PM

hmm it's not working perfectly for me. the convo keeps focusing itself and the message scroller keeps resetting its position
(tested using mocker and smarterchild)

all that being said it looks really nice.

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by qgroessl on 07-21-2006 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
I wanna get it... but it downloads into a zipped file for some reason?...not the plsc or whatever most of them are.

Since I didn't get an answer yet :p... I don't know how to get the zipped file into the scripts because it won't open up the script on my computer for me to copy/paste....
RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Mike on 07-21-2006 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
quote:
Originally posted by UTI

Since I didn't get an answer yet :p... I don't know how to get the zipped file into the scripts because it won't open up the script on my computer for me to copy/paste....
Tried changing the zip extension to .plsc? :P
And it shouldn't download as zip anyway :S
RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by qgroessl on 07-21-2006 at 11:29 PM

MessageScroller.zip for the file name for me :s...

And sorry if it's a newb question, but how do I change it?... do I have to save it instead of open it.

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Mike on 07-21-2006 at 11:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
And sorry if it's a newb question, but how do I change it?... do I have to save it instead of open it.
Yes.
Save it, then go to the folder you saved it, select it, press F2 and change the .zip extension to .plsc
If you can't see .zip then in Windows Explorer click: Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by qgroessl on 07-21-2006 at 11:37 PM

Ahh thanks so much... got it!

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by linx05 on 07-22-2006 at 08:00 AM

Great idea! Thanks for this. Two little nags though.

1) When the Message Scroller window pops up, it focuses, causing anything I type to not go into the wlm message box (or this reply space for that matter)

2) Could you add an optional time-out feature? So the Message Scroller pops up and then disappears after say 5 seconds (this is easily changed though).

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Mike on 07-22-2006 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AberNStein
hmm it's not working perfectly for me. the convo keeps focusing itself and the message scroller keeps resetting its position
What do you mean with "the convo keeps focusing itself" ?
Oh, and I fixed the position bug.
The position wasn't being saved when the switch label was being clicked.
Thanks for noticing :)
This will be fixed in the next version
quote:
all that being said it looks really nice.
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
1) When the Message Scroller window pops up, it focuses, causing anything I type to not go into the wlm message box (or this reply space for that matter)
I can do something about this, but focus will still have to be stealed for less than a second.
The idea would be to check which window has the focus before displaying the scroller window, and when the scroller window is displayed, the focus would be given back to that window...
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
2) Could you add an optional time-out feature? So the Message Scroller pops up and then disappears after say 5 seconds (this is easily changed though).
I can do this :)
RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by XAaronX on 07-22-2006 at 03:17 PM

Wow! This is so good!

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by PaPalemon on 07-30-2006 at 09:31 AM

ermm... wat i downloaded was a java script... so how do i install it?

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Felu on 07-30-2006 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PaPalemon
ermm... wat i downloaded was a java script... so how do i install it?

You need to download the .plsc file from here. Run the file and accept the security waringing and then you have succesfully installed the script [Image: msn_happy.gif].

RE: RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by AberNStein on 07-30-2006 at 03:47 PM

quote:
quote:
What do you mean with "the convo keeps focusing itself" ?

like when the scroller pops up, it makes the convo pop up too. kinda defeats the purpose.
quote:
The idea would be to check which window has the focus before displaying the scroller window, and when the scroller window is displayed, the focus would be given back to that window...

I can do this :)
edit:
code:
function focusIt(which)
{
Interop.Call('User32','OpenIcon', which);
Interop.Call('User32','BringWindowToTop', which);
Interop.Call('User32','SetForegroundWindow', which);
Interop.Call('User32','ShowWindow', which, 1);
Interop.Call('User32','SwitchToThisWindow', which, "FALSE");
}

var topHandle = Interop.Call('User32','GetForegroundWindow');

//here is where you do your thing and pop up the message scroller

focusIt(topHandle);

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by hmaster on 07-30-2006 at 04:09 PM

Would be cool if it had a quick reply button which would allow you to send a reply without even having to focus onto the conversation window.

One thing I found quite annoying was when I had multiple chats and a message was sent from another contact and I was still typing a message it would change the window focus to the scroller. This is really bad when you have 3+ windows open.

Is there a way for it to focus on the right convo tab?

Nice idea and great work (Y)

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by AberNStein on 07-31-2006 at 03:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
Is there a way for it to focus on the right convo tab?
see my above code.
RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by lrac522 on 07-31-2006 at 12:12 PM

I really do love this script, I think what would make it more interesting is the timer thingy that linx05 suggested. Hi all...(Y)

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Jimbo on 09-15-2006 at 06:39 PM

Fantastic script, a good update would be for it to display more than 1 recieved message, maybe 5?

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Luised on 11-02-2006 at 08:31 PM

I like this script!

How can I change the text size in the script window, and how can I change the "-switch-" word?

Thanks!

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Mike on 11-02-2006 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Luised
I like this script!

How can I change the text size in the script window, and how can I change the "-switch-" word?

Thanks!
To change the font size: Open gui.xml, which is located in the same folder as the script installer with notepad, or your favourite text editor, and find this line:
code:
<Font><Bold>true</Bold><Size>7</Size></Font>
and change "7" in <Size>7</Size> to a number of your choise.

To change the "-switch-" word, again in gui.xml, find the line
code:
<Caption>- Switch -</Caption>
and change "- Switch -" to something you like.

;)

To keep you guys updated on the script: I'm still working on it, but slowly...
I have finished the configuration window, and the read settings code (but not the write settings :P), and that's all.
I will continue working on this script, don't worry ;)
RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Luised on 11-02-2006 at 09:09 PM

Thank you very much! ;)

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Dave on 11-03-2006 at 05:39 PM

does this do pretty much the same thing as the Toast Message script?

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Jimbo on 11-03-2006 at 07:49 PM

Mike, no offence, but i think you should stop work on this script because NanaFreak has released a script that has all of your features and also many more. Sorry if i seem offensive or rude but i dont want you to waste your time :p unless of course there are features soon to be released that we haven't heard of yet...

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Dave on 11-03-2006 at 10:03 PM

what's that script called?

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.2 by Jimbo on 11-03-2006 at 10:10 PM

WLM preview box, check my sig for link

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.3 by Mike on 12-19-2006 at 10:14 PM

What's the best way to celebrate Message scroller's 1000 downloads on its website?

By a new version! :banana:

That's right! After about 5 months, a new version has finally been released! :D
And it has what you all been asking for: An options dialog!
You can find what you can do at the options dialog at the script's website

Download: http://mike.thedt.net/download.php?id=10

Enjoy! :D

RE: [Updated]Message Scroller v0.3 by Mike on 07-05-2008 at 09:10 AM

Message scroller got 2 years old on 30th June!

Happy (belated) birthday Message Scroller! :banana:

How fast time passes eh?