Shoutbox

Someone signing up your e-mail address - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Someone signing up your e-mail address (/showthread.php?tid=62129)

Someone signing up your e-mail address by Discrate on 06-30-2006 at 02:12 PM

Guess what everyone i have been sent a confirmation e-mail saying that i have purchased 2 adult tickets to some movie called over the edge at hoyts burwood. But the problem is i didnt order them! someone is typing in my e-mail address to order things online. This isnt the first time either. One day i got sent an e-mail saying.

Hello sarah

something something please click this link to verifie your paypal account becuase someone has been getting into your paypal account. It was a real e-mail from paypal, but there was 2 problems, 1. my name is not sarah and 2. i dont have a paypal account :dodgy: Another day i got an e-mail from a guy saying he would like to settle this dispute over paypal and all this other crap and i dont even know who he is. It's another case of someone using my e-mail address to sign up  for things.

Does this happend to anyone else? If so post your storie here.

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by NiteMare on 06-30-2006 at 02:13 PM

blah, i get the paypal one all the time, i just forward them to spoof at paypal.com

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by Voldemort on 06-30-2006 at 02:15 PM

The paypal one is to fraud you :p

RE: RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by Discrate on 06-30-2006 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

No it was a real e-mail from paypal the e-mail address and web link it had in it was not fake.
RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by markee on 06-30-2006 at 03:55 PM

I thought you usually got a confirmation email which you have to accept before being able to purchase things like movie tickets or have a paypal account (don't have a paypal account so I'm not 100% sure, just guessing from past experience).

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by RaceProUK on 06-30-2006 at 04:05 PM

No,

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Paypal, and most other online services, send you a confirmation e-mail when you sign up. Since you haven't signed up to Paypal, how could you have confirmed the address?
RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by Br4yd3nP.Plus on 07-03-2006 at 08:16 PM

Hello.

Because it says Support@paypal.com or whatever.

Still does not mean Paypal sent it.

It's called Email Spoofing.

And is easily done by changing Headers in emails.

Brayden.

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by Chris4 on 07-03-2006 at 08:51 PM

Discrate, could you right click the link in the email and go on 'copy shortcut', then paste it to me (PM me it).

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by cjguare on 07-03-2006 at 11:58 PM

Yeh post the link up here. It was on the news few weeks back. People are spoofing emails and making fake ebay sites that look exactly like the real one, and it asks you to sign in.
Damn gits aint getting hold of my stuff lol

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by Discrate on 07-04-2006 at 05:57 AM

I dont have the e-mails anymore, they were not fraud e-mails. They were real e-mails but people were signing up with my e-mail address.

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by RaceProUK on 07-04-2006 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
I dont have the e-mails anymore, they were not fraud e-mails. They were real e-mails but people were signing up with my e-mail address.
Again, they send a confirmation e-mail. If you never got one, what you did get is a spoof.
RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by azn angel on 07-05-2006 at 09:59 AM

unless the person changed their email address for the paypal account?

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by RaceProUK on 07-05-2006 at 10:42 AM

Right, for the last sodding time, big this time so people don't miss it:

Any site that gives a damn about security sends a confirmation e-mail any time you sign up to their site or change the address! Since Discrate hasn't even got a Paypal account, it's a sodding spoof e-mail!

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by azn angel on 07-06-2006 at 10:28 AM

im sorry, i dont understand what you're saying :P

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by ~INVASION~ on 07-06-2006 at 10:32 AM

lol, if you keep believing those emails your gonna be a phish on a hook :)

RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by RaceProUK on 07-06-2006 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
im sorry, i dont understand what you're saying :P
It's not like I can make it any clearer!
RE: Someone signing up your e-mail address by wlmcrap on 07-08-2006 at 10:24 PM

It doesn't mean it's from payplal (as everyone else said). Example:

My dad allways gets fake ebay emails.